AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my round dish to an oval one and would like to keep as much of my current setup as possible. I downloaded the installation instructions for the oval dish from RCA. I notice they talk about mounting the switches, etc. INSIDE the house.

However, when my round dish was installed, the guy made all the connections outside the house. The only things actually entering the house are the RG-6 cables to the receivers.

Am I going to have to do some cable re-arranging in addition to swapping the dish?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just upgraded from round to oval and the oval dish came with a ChannelMaster 4x4 switch that mounts directly to the back of the dish. It also came with 4 patch cables to connect the LNB's to the switch. So all I had to do was connect the 2 RG-6 cables that were running from round dish to 2 of the 4 outputs on the switch and I was in business. No downlead changes required.

Dish pointing went smoothly. My signal strength on 101 dropped slightly going from round to oval (from high 80's to low 80's) and I get low 70's on 119. Everything works great.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The older versions of the elliptical dish had switches that needed to be mounted indoors. The newer version features a "hardened" switch that is fine for outdoor use - just like the LNBs. I'm using mine in a climate that reaches -40 in the winter and +95 in the summer and it works just fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.