Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone!

I currently have a Yamaha HTR-5490 with preouts for an external amp, I am driving a pair of Klipsch RF35's as well as the rest of a 5.1 setup. I was thinking of investing in an external amp, maybe a Aragon 2005 or similiar, would it be wise to just purchase a more high end receiver (Marantz, B&K..etc..) or go ahead and get an external amp and then work on upgrading to a matching pre/pro? I have read that going separates really makes a big difference and I have also read that the Yamaha receivers are known to be bright, while listening to the RF35's I have noticed a slight brightness with the Yamaha but not overly bright.

As anyone had any experience with a RF35 Aragon setup or similiar?

Any info is greatly appreciated. - Thanks!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I am going through the same decision making process right now and think I have decided to try out the pro amp option (not to start the usual pro versus boutique amp debate). For a few hundred bucks it is worth a try, especially considering watts per dollar. If you don't like it, return it and try the more expensive boutique amp, but there are some very good pro lines with comparable specs to boutique amps (QSC comes to mind). Also, remember that THD specs are measured at the amps maximum output and that in most cases the less power and amp is putting out, the lower the THD (true of pro and boutique). The moral is, if you buy a 300 wpc amplifier and only run it at 50% gain, you are nowhere near the limits of the amplifiers maximum power and THD is probably less than rated (a good thing).

In general, I have learned that separate generate a much better constant supply of power with all channels driven. This is the primary thing that leads to better performance since the receiver's 120 wpc, or whatever it is, is probably not 120 wpc x 5 continuous(especially Yamaha, but I'm not slamming their product as they have great DSP). The end result, when your movie soundtrack peaks, your amp may not have enough juice whereas a good separate, either pro or boutique, is rated at XXX watts x Y channels continuous power.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Seperates are gonna be better but you only need about 120-150 watts to make the 35's get up and go.Even then you'd have lots of headroom with ANY decent amp.Pro amps are great if you need tons of power (which you don't)but the fan thing is out for me.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I am using the pre-outs on a Yamaha RXV-1400 receiver, hooked up to a Sunfire Cinema 7 (200 watts/channel into 8 ohms). This is great sounding combination.

Adding an amp to a receiver is a nice way to slowly step up to separates, and will make your current system sound better.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTdooby
Greetings everyone!

I currently have a Yamaha HTR-5490 with preouts for an external amp, I am driving a pair of Klipsch RF35's as well as the rest of a 5.1 setup. I was thinking of investing in an external amp, maybe a Aragon 2005 or similiar, would it be wise to just purchase a more high end receiver (Marantz, B&K..etc..) or go ahead and get an external amp and then work on upgrading to a matching pre/pro? I have read that going separates really makes a big difference and I have also read that the Yamaha receivers are known to be bright, while listening to the RF35's I have noticed a slight brightness with the Yamaha but not overly bright.

As anyone had any experience with a RF35 Aragon setup or similiar?

Any info is greatly appreciated. - Thanks!
I don't think you will notice as much of a difference as you think you will from a sound quality stand point by just adding an amp to your Yamaha. Now don't get me wrong. I am not telling you to not step up to separates. I did. I added an Outlaw 770 amp to my Denon 3805. Eventually, I plan to upgrade to a different processor.

Where I have noticed the difference, is right around reference levels. (-3 / -2 and up.) I have noticed this is the area where the Denon started running out of power and the Outlaw seems to hold its own. Another area I noticed improvement was bass. I definitely noticed an improvement in bass with the added power.

In a few years, I will probably upgrade from my Denon to something else and keep the amp.

One thing to keep in mind is the quality of amp in your receiver.

I can't remember but the Denon 3805 is one of the few $1000 receivers that actually comes close to its power ratings. I am sure this is part of the reason for the minimal improvement to my system.

Your milage may vary. ;)

Craig

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000
I don't think you will notice as much of a difference as you think you will from a sound quality stand point by just adding an amp to your Yamaha. Now don't get me wrong. I am not telling you to not step up to separates. I did. I added an Outlaw 770 amp to my Denon 3805. Eventually, I plan to upgrade to a different processor.

Where I have noticed the difference, is right around reference levels. (-3 / -2 and up.) I have noticed this is the area where the Denon started running out of power and the Outlaw seems to hold its own. Another area I noticed improvement was bass. I definitely noticed an improvement in bass with the added power.

In a few years, I will probably upgrade from my Denon to something else and keep the amp.

One thing to keep in mind is the quality of amp in your receiver.

I can't remember but the Denon 3805 is one of the few $1000 receivers that actually comes close to its power ratings. I am sure this is part of the reason for the minimal improvement to my system.

Your milage may vary. ;)

Craig
Did you then divide amp duties between both amps? the denon running running the fronts and the other amps the remaining speakers?

if not why not? pro's and cons?

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT REYNOLDS PO
Did you then divide amp duties between both amps? the denon running running the fronts and the other amps the remaining speakers?

His amp, the Outlaw 770. Is a full 7 channel amp with 200wpc. So there is no need to even use the Denon's amps for any of the speakers.

http://outlawaudio.com/products/770.html

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:

John's already answered, but if he were to do what you asked, wouldn't it be the other way around (i.e., Outlaw driving the fronts and denon driving the surrounds)?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
>I don't think you will notice as much of a difference as you think you will from a sound quality stand point by just adding an amp to your Yamaha.

I added a 2-channel pro-amp to my Denon 3805, to run my fronts, and it was an immediate improvement. Bass for sure, as I run my fronts "large", but also increased clarity and distinct notes or sounds coming out of the speaker, instead of sometimes jumbling them together a little. Example: if a window breaks, you hear lots of individual pieces of glass falling. Before, you nheard a satisfying crisp crash, but not as clear as w/ the pro-amp.

My fronts are 6-ohm, which might be one reason the extra power helped.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely8
>I don't think you will notice as much of a difference as you think you will from a sound quality stand point by just adding an amp to your Yamaha.

I added a 2-channel pro-amp to my Denon 3805, to run my fronts, and it was an immediate improvement. Bass for sure, as I run my fronts "large", but also increased clarity and distinct notes or sounds coming out of the speaker, instead of sometimes jumbling them together a little. Example: if a window breaks, you hear lots of individual pieces of glass falling. Before, you nheard a satisfying crisp crash, but not as clear as w/ the pro-amp.

My fronts are 6-ohm, which might be one reason the extra power helped.
cneely8,

Yes, my front left and right speakers are Rocket 850's which are 6 ohm speakers. My center channel is 4 ohms. So yes, I would not exactly say my speakers are as efficient as say, Klipsch speakers or something.

I am no expert, but I have read on this site that it is best, if possible to run the same watts per channel to all of your speakers. I would say that by doing this, it would probably be wise to have the same amp/type amp as well.

The Outlaw is a seven channel amp that rates at 200 watts x 7.

Craig

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Quote:

Nope, I let the Outlaw carry the load.

Craig

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000
cneely8,

I am no expert, but I have read on this site that it is best, if possible to run the same watts per channel to all of your speakers. I would say that by doing this, it would probably be wise to have the same amp/type amp as well.

Craig
It doesn't matter if you run the same WPC to your speakers as long as the amp with the lowest WPC is enough to meet the peaks you expect to achieve (e.g., if you want reference level sound, your amp with the lowest WPC needs to be able to generate enough power to its speakers to hit 105 dBs at your listening position).

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
HTdooby:

I am running separate amps for my system but I arrived at this solution from a bit of a different route.

I bought some Magnepan MG 1.6QR speakers which are notoriously power hungry and were rated at 4 ohms. So I bought a B&K dual monoblock amp that put out 350 watts @ 4 ohms into each channel. I hooked up the amp to the pre-outs on my receiver and this drove the Magnepan speakers just fine. However, the difference between the Maggies and the rest of my HT speakers was very profound so I started to look for an all-Maggie solution. I ended up with a pair of modified MG 10s for rear speakers (which were the predecessors of the MG 1.6s) and another B&K amp (only stereo, not monoblocks) that also put out 350 watts into 4 ohms for each channel. However, I have not yet found a center channel speaker that "mates" well with the MG 1.6s up front and I have tried quite a few including Magnepan's CC3. I am currently running with a phantom center which actually works quite well since I listen to music much more than I watch movies and I normally listen to 2-channel mixes.

I will ultimately find a center channel that will work and I believe that a pre/pro is in my future but I am waiting until the codecs for high definition DVDs gets worked out in the upcoming format war. Right now, only very expensive receivers and pre/pros are likely to be upgradeable when the codecs are finally settled on. So I wait...

Although I have spent more than I originally budgeted for, I believe that money invested in speakers and amps generates better sound since significant improvements in speaker and amp technology does not happen as frequently as in pre/pros and source components. Further, separates give you more flexibility in the long run.

Good luck with your solution :D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.