AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be upgrading in the next week or two........couple questions for those of you that have these PJs.

Dust blobs and the AE500........haven't heard much about this yet...not concerned to much about getting them, but how hard is it going to be to open the case and eliminate them??

Are the dust blob problems on the Z2 bad enough that you would return it for another model??

Also....the Z2 only has two inputs if I read the spec sheet properly. I currently use three (Component, Svideo and RGB) Does the Z2 autodetect a signal if I have two plugged into Input 1?

Secondly -

Any feelings about Onecall.....I see them listed on this forum a lot. Considering the AE500 from them and any comments about their service would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Quote:
I am going to be upgrading in the next week or two
I have good experience with Them and will buy again. They provided tracking order, quick turn around and live up to decent services. But look again before you order...if you're going for the AE500U.

L500U is coming out in next few weeks. The current pre-order price on L500U is already lower than street price on AE500U. Why buy AE when you can have L for less?

good hunting

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
what pj do you have now?

The dust blob issue on the z2 isn't a deal breaker since it isn't a universal thing. I got dust blobs after going through the service menu and passing the fan settings which cause the fan to go into turbo speed. After getting rid of the blobs I haven't had any more dust issues.

I have cracked open an ae100 before and if the ae/l500 uses generally the same case design (it looks like it does) then it is easy to pop the case open and blast the panels.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I currently have a Viewsonic PJ501 - I purchased it based on 12 Months 0% financing (budget at the time) and the fact that I didn't do enough research.

Believe it or not, I have been happy with this PJ for the most part, but you can not open the case to clean dust blobs. (it has to sent in for service or exchange - Viewsonic always provided an advanced exchange so it wasn't that bad)

bottom line, I want to be able to correct the problem myself.....but I don't want to be cleaning it every 50 hrs.

either model will be a HUGE improvement over what I have.....but since Z2 and AE500 are similar in price and specs....i want to make the right choice.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
well you should just get the ae200 since it is the super pj that beats every other PJ in the world. Er, at least that is what I have read.:)

As for the z2/L500 choice I think it really comes down to features (ie z2 lens shift) rather than PQ. Both will pretty much be a wash in PQ. It'll be up to you to decide what is more important to you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the Z2 and love it. I have a couple of minor dust blobs, but I can clean them easily enough and I would not be able to live without the lens shift. The image quality and flexibility make up for the poor dust filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.