AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi im kinda new to all this. Currently i own a pro-ject debut carbon esprit connect to a cheap pre-amp then to some bose companions but i want to upgrade. I was looking at the Pro-ject stereo box s and connect it to a pair of Dali zensor 3. I just wanted some advice. I thought of maybe going to the Yamaha As-500 but the size of the stereo box s is so much smaller so im really considering that option. Would it make a huge difference to go with the yamaha?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Probably OK as long as you don't play at deafening levels in a large room. The speakers are below average in sensitivity but you should be fine with 40 watts per channel. That is plenty of power to handle the large majority of home audio setups. The Yamaha will provide more flexibility and connectivity but probably not significantly more power.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Yes as long as you play at what most would consider normal listening volumes. My home theater has a 6 ohm stereo pair. I drive them with about 1 watt average power and peaks at close to 20 watts per channel. The difference between 25 watts and 40 watts is fairly meaningless - only about 2 db.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Great thanks. I also came across the NAD 3020. It is worth looking at compared to the Pro-ject?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I'm sure it's fine. Understand that I don't view amplifiers as a very important aspect of home audio. They just increase volume enough to drive speakers and they do it quite accurately. What matters most is the speakers and rooms in which they are placed.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I suggest that you look at the Music Hall 15.3 amplifier, which is only $549 and is an exceptionally good-sounding amplifier with plenty of power for most speakers.

It also has a phono preamp built into the amplifier, so you won't need to spend money on a separate one.

It is also only 3 inches tall, which might be an advantage in some cases.

IMO Yamaha amplifiers have relatively high distortion levels when actually driving real SPEAKERS, whereas the Music Hall will have much lower distortion and sound better; this is quite audible to anyone who wants to listen carefully.

Remember that power specs are based on a test where an 8 ohm resistor is used as a load. This is no test at all, and does not tell you how the amplifier will SOUND driving real SPEAKERS, which are 100 times as much work for an amplifier to drive.

Anyone who thinks that amplifiers all perform the same when driving speakers has never actually connected a distortion analyzer and looked at the distortion levels. A little knowledge of the facts would do them a lot of good.

It's too bad that people with no knowledge of amplifier design and performance think that they don't matter much, when they are actually a major factor in how a system sounds.

The distortion can be less than 1% with good amplifiers, and MUCH higher with amplifiers that are not as well-designed. This makes a BIG difference in sound quality, as any competent engineer knows.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts