AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Panasonic 65VT30. I can return it and get a 65VT50 for $800, plus tax which would make it about net $875. Any opinions on whether the difference justifies that increased cost?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
I had a 65VT30 and sold it and bought the 55VT50, huge difference in quality to me. Some would say it's not worth it, but the VT30 I had still had bad fluctuating black levels even after the patch, the VT50 that is non existent. That made the difference to me right there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilock  /t/1416558/upgrade-vt30-to-vt50-or-not#post_22148748


I have a Panasonic 65VT30. I can return it and get a 65VT50 for $800, plus tax which would make it about net $875. Any opinions on whether the difference justifies that increased cost?

Well seeing as how the VT50 is a big improvement over the VT30 in every picture quality category i'd say the extra money is worth it, but others may consider the VT30 to be plenty good enough and not want to pay the extra money for the extra performance. I mean it's not like the VT30 is a slouch, but only you can decide if the upgrade is worth the cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,948 Posts
Life is short. You can't take it with you. Get the VT50.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901  /t/1416558/upgrade-vt30-to-vt50-or-not#post_22150507


Life is short. You can't take it with you. Get the VT50.

Well this was kind of my thinking. Then I got to thinking I could use that $875 to get a really nice sound bar. Maybe that would improve the overall impact more than the upgraded picture between the VT50 and VT30.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
It's your money and your decision. Personally I don't see the huge jump in picture quality from the 30 series to the 50 series. Both are very very good plasmas and both have fantastic pictures. I was thinking of doing the same thing you are about a month ago and after seeing both side by side I decided to keep the 30. That's just my opinion though. If you feel you won't be happy until you get a 50 then I say go for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb32  /t/1416558/upgrade-vt30-to-vt50-or-not#post_22151913


It's your money and your decision. Personally I don't see the huge jump in picture quality from the 30 series to the 50 series. Both are very very good plasmas and both have fantastic pictures. I was thinking of doing the same thing you are about a month ago and after seeing both side by side I decided to keep the 30. That's just my opinion though. If you feel you won't be happy until you get a 50 then I say go for it.

Well, this is why I posed the question ... and why I keep going back and forth. Of course "value" is a personal thing. But I just wanted to hear some people's thoughts on this. I accept that the VT50 is better than the VT30. But just a few months ago the VT30 was arguably the best plasma tv you could buy. And just as certainly in the not too distant future there will be something better than the VT50.


I've spent hours today researching soundbars. While I could go with one on the inexpensive $250 or so models, in the past I've had Stereophile Class A speakers, and I really miss the sound of really good speakers. They're not appropriate in my current room. So, sadly, they sit all boxed up in the garage as I listen to sound from my TV speakers. After today's research I'm strongly considering keeping the VT 30 and spending the saved dollars on a better sound system. I think I'm past all the component and 5 or 7 channel stuff. So for me that means considering a really nice active soundbar and woofer. If anyone wants to help by recommending one I'm still in the research stage so any help anyone can provide me will be gladly accepted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilock  /t/1416558/upgrade-vt30-to-vt50-or-not#post_22152307


Well, this is why I posed the question ... and why I keep going back and forth. Of course "value" is a personal thing. But I just wanted to hear some people's thoughts on this. I accept that the VT50 is better than the VT30. But just a few months ago the VT30 was arguably the best plasma tv you could buy. And just as certainly in the not too distant future there will be something better than the VT50.

True, I think 2014 is when we might see the next big jump in plasma PQ if I am interpreting a Panasonic insider's hints correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilock  /t/1416558/upgrade-vt30-to-vt50-or-not#post_22152307


Well, this is why I posed the question ... and why I keep going back and forth. Of course "value" is a personal thing. But I just wanted to hear some people's thoughts on this. I accept that the VT50 is better than the VT30. But just a few months ago the VT30 was arguably the best plasma tv you could buy. And just as certainly in the not too distant future there will be something better than the VT50.

Yeah, there will always be something new coming out. The 50's are great but so are the 30's and after seeing them side by side the difference IMO is minimal if any. Both series have amazing picture quality. I agree with "DavidHir". I think in a few more years will be the next big jump in PQ worth trading off for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb32  /t/1416558/upgrade-vt30-to-vt50-or-not#post_22154832


Yeah, there will always be something new coming out. The 50's are great but so are the 30's and after seeing them side by side the difference IMO is minimal if any. Both series have amazing picture quality. I agree with "DavidHir". I think in a few more years will be the next big jump in PQ worth trading off for.

+1..love my vt3065..i,too,could not see the difference in dollars that would make me rush out an purchase the 50...i m just going to wait until something new and vast;y improved hits the market that will really make me forget the incredible experience i am having as a 30 series owner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02saleen346  /t/1416558/upgrade-vt30-to-vt50-or-not#post_22155008


I got the 65VT50 for a only a couple of hundred dollars more than the VT30. You always talk them down some money.

Wow pretty good price considering what you can get the VT30 for. Where did you get your 65VT50?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02saleen346  /t/1416558/upgrade-vt30-to-vt50-or-not#post_22155008


I got the 65VT50 for a only a couple of hundred dollars more than the VT30. You always talk them down some money.

Well I'm getting the VT30 for close to $2000 so that would be a lot of talking down on a VT50.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the way, anyone have any thoughts on using the difference in price to fund a nice soundbar? After all the "movie experience" is about more than just the picture, right? Recommendations?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilock  /t/1416558/upgrade-vt30-to-vt50-or-not#post_22155312


By the way, anyone have any thoughts on using the difference in price to fund a nice soundbar? After all the "movie experience" is about more than just the picture, right? Recommendations?

I think you should forget about soundbars, they don't sound like real speakers. You can buy these speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Mirage-Nanosat-5-1-High-Performance-Speaker/dp/B001H2VBD0/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1340319164&sr=8-11&keywords=kef and this receiver http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V473-5-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B007JF85VU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340319248&sr=1-1&keywords=yamaha+473 with the saved money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli  /t/1416558/upgrade-vt30-to-vt50-or-not#post_22155334


I think you should forget about soundbars, they don't sound like real speakers. You can buy these speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Mirage-Nanosat-5-1-High-Performance-Speaker/dp/B001H2VBD0/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1340319164&sr=8-11&keywords=kef and this receiver http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V473-5-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B007JF85VU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340319248&sr=1-1&keywords=yamaha+473 with the saved money.

Nice set. But I've already got a really good receiver and about the best speakers possible, including center and rears. I'm just not interested in that kind of setup anymore. I know what I'm missing, but I'll settle for a significant upgrade over the speakers that come in my Panny. I'm sure there's a soundbar out there that will fit that bill nicely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilock  /t/1416558/upgrade-vt30-to-vt50-or-not#post_22155989


Nice set. But I've already got a really good receiver and about the best speakers possible, including center and rears. I'm just not interested in that kind of setup anymore. I know what I'm missing, but I'll settle for a significant upgrade over the speakers that come in my Panny. I'm sure there's a soundbar out there that will fit that bill nicely.

As far as sound bars go I have a Def Tech Mythos ssa 42 and it's very nice. My apt isn't very surround sound friendly, but I didn't just want a plain sound bar, so the ssa 42 fit the bill nicely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Love Def Tech sound, and would definitely consider this if I didn't want to forgo the receiver. Did a little more research today and if I'm understanding ARC maybe I just need an ARC soundbar. Blu ray and satellite box to TV and TV to soundbar all with HDMI. Is that how that would work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilock  /t/1416558/upgrade-vt30-to-vt50-or-not#post_22150547


Well this was kind of my thinking. Then I got to thinking I could use that $875 to get a really nice sound bar. Maybe that would improve the overall impact more than the upgraded picture between the VT50 and VT30.

Well, now you changed the question. Of course improving your audio setup would have a bigger impact, assuming you are just using TV speakers now. Not sure that I would spend $875 on a soundbar, however, when just a little more would get you a nice 5 speaker and sub setup with a good receiver, which would be a much bigger improvement than just a soundbar. There are several nice affordable HT speaker sets for under $500 (on sale) such as the Klipsch and Boston Acoustics brands, and a fully-warranted receiver from Harman Kardon can be had for around $300-400 at their eBay store.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top