AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a Denon complete system about 10 years ago. It was a receiver and Denon speakers. The receiver just died and I have replaced it with a Denon AVR-1611. Everything goes to a Samsung 46" LCD (750 series). Inputs: 360, wii, satellite box and an old school pioneer laser disc. Blue ray is planned (suggestions).

I am planning on upgrading the speakers. From what I was told is that I should put my money into a center channel and a sub first. I just read a thread that said to upgrade the front left and right with the center or there could be problems. True?

#2: my old system was 5.1. The new receiver is 7.1

Should I step up to 7.1? All DVD and blue ray is naturally 7.1 right? So the receiver actually converts everything to 7.1(?).

If I do go to 7.1 can I get new front left and right speakers and transfer the old ones to the added 7.1 speakers? Is this normal? Flawed?

I'll update this thread with the speakers have. Currently looking form suggestions. Budget I would guess is on the lower end for this forum.

Tia

·
Registered
169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighassassin /forum/post/0

Oh yeah, my room has the space for 7.1

If 7.1 isn't really worth it I would use those two channels for two outside speakers.

I can tell you I just upgraded my polk satellites with definitive sm450s and I had a nice polk center channel which I disabled because it did not sound good. So now I'm using phantom center until I can afford a definitve clr2002.

·
Registered
19,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighassassin /forum/post/19560392

I'll update this thread with the speakers have. Currently looking form suggestions. Budget I would guess is on the lower end for this forum.

Tia

With out a dollar amount - it is hard to reccomend something.

The 3 front channels should be voiced match. 7.1 or 5.1 is a

preference thing - not a whole lot of info goes to the surrounds.

You can cheat on the side and rear speakers - they don't need

to match the fronts.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
To the OP...I usually recommend getting a pair of fronts first, and as the money supply rebuilds add the center channel, then subwoofer, and then surrounds. As the other poster alluded to, if you get fronts first, you can run a "phantom" center channel, meaning simply that you toe-in the fronts so the dialogue appears to originate right in between the speakers, which is usually in front of your display. Then you can also enjoy the fronts for 2-channel music.

To the poster with the new SM450's...with the price of the 450's so low, I would definitely recommend that you pick up 2 more pairs and run 6 identical speakers with a subwoofer for a 6.1 system. Running identical speakers across the front (if you have the room to set a SM450 vertically) produces a fantastic front soundstage. If you think it's weird not getting a "dedicated" center channel speaker, keep in my that the designation of CLR2002 means "center/left/right"...in other words, speakers like the 2002 are designed to be run 3 across the front. You can do the same thing with the 450's. Read through the Def Tech forum for other recommendations and setup tips: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=625807

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good info guys, keep it coming. I've already learned a lot. I googled that speaker and thought it was just a center.

Do you all think that one speaker acting as the front three will give me better sound?

Ftr, the old denon system was purchased for about $700 from sears for speakers and receiver. Not sure if that helps to let you know what i have currently. I am not home or I would just look.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Did I miss your room dimensions? In most rooms I would stay 5.1 and throw the extra budget at the front three. However, if the room is long enough, I've experienced the advantage of 7.1. For instance, my room is 32' long, and it is a clear advantage to have the rears.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Room dimensions are:

15'3" wide and 18' long, 8' ceilings

The left side is mostly open. There are two entries on that side with an open kitchen island in between them.

Right side is an exterior wall with a door on the back side.

Front and rear walls are shared walls with other units (townhome).

At this point I am not really concerned about my neighbors considering one is a drummer and the other side is an inspiring club DJ.

Old receiver was a Denon AVR-683

Center speaker is a Denon SC-53C

Max input 100 watts at 6 ohms

Front and rears are a

DENON SC-53S

100 watts 6 ohms.

Sub woofer is:

Denon DSW-37

5 3/4" woofer on outside.

Just looking I would say these are low end speakers. I am guessing the sub is the weakest link.

Thoughts now?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
sorry I didn't respond. In your sized room, I don't think rear surrounds are worth as much as having the extra budget to put into the fronts.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighassassin /forum/post/19712190

So I just pulled the trigger on some Polk monitor 50's from newegg. $50 off per speaker and also added a cs1 ? For $69

Next up I'd start looking for a subwoofer. Contact Hsu Research and see what they suggest.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.