AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new Honda Pilot in the "clunkers program" and the stock system doesn't seem to get very clear high or lows. I haven't kept in touch with car audio for years, so wondering what I can upgrade to get a clearer distinct sound.
I don't listen to my contemporary jazz music too loud.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a clue as I haven't looked in car audio for over 15 years. I'm looking for some ideas what I could do to improve the clarity of the bass and highs at lower volume and what it would take to do it.

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaintl /forum/post/17037202

Just picked up a new Honda Pilot in the "clunkers program" and the stock system doesn't seem to get very clear high or lows. I haven't kept in touch with car audio for years, so wondering what I can upgrade to get a clearer distinct sound.
I don't listen to my contemporary jazz music too loud.

Welcome Piloteer.

I've got a 2008 model that I've replaced the OEM HU and Sub on.

Great site for Pilot owners. http://www.piloteers.org/

HU: http://www.piloteers.org/forums/show...threadid=21926

Sub: http://www.piloteers.org/forums/show...threadid=24664

The 2009/10 models are a redesign but stock radio's not too bad (Honda spec Pioneer) but the Alpine OEM speakers are trash. If I had $300 to spend I would upgrade the fronts to something nice. For $550 more You could also buy the stealthbox sub for your car but you would also need a amp to power it.
http://www.pasmag.com/index.php?opti...k=view&id=1311

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Get a budget and get a new HU & replace the front speakers will give the best improvement on sound quality, add a sub if budget permits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder /forum/post/17047949

Get a budget and get a new HU & replace the front speakers will give the best improvement on sound quality, add a sub if budget permits.

I like the way the dash looks and the stock unit fitting perfectly within the dash. So, I'm looking to enhance the sound without replacing the stock radio. I don't have a budget, but if replacing the speakers & subwoofers would do the trick for clearer highs & lows, that's the direction I'll take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntmst /forum/post/17046003

Welcome Piloteer.

The 2009/10 models are a redesign but stock radio's not too bad (Honda spec Pioneer) but the Alpine OEM speakers are trash. If I had $300 to spend I would upgrade the fronts to something nice. For $550 more You could also buy the stealthbox sub for your car but you would also need a amp to power it.
http://www.pasmag.com/index.php?opti...k=view&id=1311

I have to agree that the 2009 stock radio is not bad, so changing the speakers would help a lot. $850 is easily within my budget if that will give me clearer highs and lows. I was looking into the amp, is the Sony XM-4S any good. I notice it is small and slim, so can fit anywhere. Also, my brother is a Sony employee and there's Sony employee sale this week. LoL

I want everything to stay looking stock as if nothing was changed, but a noticeable improvement on clarity in lower volumes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips, I do some more research on those. If money is no object, what would one suggest for a 2009 Honda Pilot? Doesn't have to be the best as I know that involves personal opinion, but something that will surely improve the clarity of highs and lows in lower volumes. I like my contemporary jazz, but not getting the clear highs and lows that I prefer.

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaintl /forum/post/17048589

Thanks for the tips, I do some more research on those. If money is no object, what would one suggest for a 2009 Honda Pilot? Doesn't have to be the best as I know that involves personal opinion, but something that will surely improve the clarity of highs and lows in lower volumes. I like my contemporary jazz, but not getting the clear highs and lows that I prefer.

If money is no object you would have to gut the car to deaden the whole thing, reposition the tweeters so you can hear them, redesign the doors, use up all the rear space for sound boxes and about a million other things.

For a 1K budget you can have about 75% of that really matters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntmst /forum/post/17049867

If money is no object you would have to gut the car to deaden the whole thing, reposition the tweeters so you can hear them, redesign the doors, use up all the rear space for sound boxes and about a million other things.

For a 1K budget you can have about 75% of that really matters.

Thanks for the suggestions, but it is greek to me. LoL As long as everything looks stock, I'll consider almost anything. I had a couple of quotes from local car audio shops and they're in the $3K range (include labor to install). Having a mobile car audio installer come next weekend to discuss my project. Hopefully, he's more realistic on price.

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaintl /forum/post/17051884

Thanks for the suggestions, but it is greek to me. LoL As long as everything looks stock, I'll consider almost anything. I had a couple of quotes from local car audio shops and they're in the $3K range (include labor to install). Having a mobile car audio installer come next weekend to discuss my project. Hopefully, he's more realistic on price.

Yours sounds like 8 hours labor with about $100 extra for install parts (wire/fuse/distro block for subwoofer amp and spacers/clips for the new door speakers). So at retail for the parts plus install should be about $1500.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought $3K was a bit steep, one cannot have that much overhead in a store front. It was 19 hours x $90/hr or $1,710 and the speakers/amp/subwoofer were full retail. Supposedly, everything is custom made, like the subwoofer box.

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaintl /forum/post/17057552

I thought $3K was a bit steep, one cannot have that much overhead in a store front. It was 19 hours x $90/hr or $1,710 and the speakers/amp/subwoofer were full retail. Supposedly, everything is custom made, like the subwoofer box.

Why use a custom box? Using the JL box is a 2-3 hour job. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/16393.pdf

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One shop quote me for a Pioneer TS-SW251 10" shallow mount subwoofer with custom box, it's more than the JL including labor. Kinda of crazy quote and I told him about the JL, he didn't respond.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NEW QUESTION for all who have changed their speakers:

WHAT BRAND & MODEL SPEAKERS you changed to and what do you like about your new speakers?

I was thinking about the Sony XS-GT1626A that Crutchfield's suggested as it seems to be a straight swap for 2009 Honda Pilot, 6.5" speaker. I wanted to change the door speakers first and see if it does it for me. For sure, I don't want to change how the dash looks, so will live with the stock radio. 2 car audio techs actually recommended that I install a pre-amp to give better control over the sound.

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyhustles /forum/post/17087835

custom box>bs prefab

Custom box == waste of money (JL Audio knows how to build enclosures for the limited space inside a Honda Pilot)

Most of advice this guy has gotten from the "Car Audio Pros" has been total crap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts