AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a year and a half with my much beloved Panasonic Showstopper, I decided that I was ready for an upgrade. I just thought I would share my experience.

I purchased a WD 120GB 7200 RPM with the 8MB Cache for $199 at Fry's with an $80 MIR.

Got it home and got the new drive patched. Removed the EZ Bake and zip tied the new drive down. I also took it another step further and bought two 2 inch 12v fans and power y connector. I wasn't sure how I was going to mount the fans, but I took a page from Lizard_Boy and moved two of the now useless EZ Bake Hex posts over to the front of the Showstopper. I then zip tied one fan each to one of the posts. One fan points toward the hard drive and the other points toward the vent holes. It isn't a perfect ventilation system but it is better than what it was previously. Why they didn't put the hottest parts anywhere near the vent holes is beyond me.

Fired it up and now have 120 hours of recording time.

It is a little noisier (7200 RPM and 2 fans) but now that I know it works, I will move it to my enclosed cabinet which is highly ventilated(Three 6 inch quiet fans that move air directly over the Showstopper [1 intake fan and 2 outtake fans]. With the door closed, you can barely hear it). But even not in the cabinet, the Showstopper is literally cool to the touch. I know that even before my upgrade, the unit ran a lot hotter than that.

Thank you all for the advice on this board and especially the makers of the RTVPatch tool. I don't think it could have been easier.

Wish I would have had this around when the Sopranos started this season. Oh well, there are always reruns.

Thanks again :D

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.