AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a smaller Rotel RMB1075 AMP with a damaged 2 prong power cable. I wanted to buy an upgraded power cable but can't seem to find one for 2 prongs. Can I use a 3 prong cable or will it be a hazard or cause any damage to the amp?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have a smaller Rotel RMB1075 AMP with a damaged 2 prong power cable. I wanted to buy an upgraded power cable but can't seem to find one for 2 prongs. Can I use a 3 prong cable or will it be a hazard or cause any damage to the amp?
I don't know the answer but while you wait for someone knowledgeable to post, it might be appropriate to ask your dealer or Rotel. They might even offer to sell you a replacement cable at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you. They absolutely can, but it's a cheaper cable. Given it's an amp, I wanted to go with a beefier cable

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
thank you. They absolutely can, but it's a cheaper cable. Given it's an amp, I wanted to go with a beefier cable

Rotel makes quality products. If a beefier cable would provide any benefit at all, Rotel would've spent the extra dollar or so for a "beefier" one.

This multi-channel power amplifier delivers 120 watts (all channels driven), thanks to a power supply composed of a generous 1,500 VA toroidal transformer and eight 10,000 µf British-made Slit Foil capacitors. 20 output devices, each of which is rated for 130 watts and 15 amperes of current capability, make full use of the supply 's potential.

They aren't going to spend money on all of these quality parts and then use a restrictive power cable and negate the benefits of them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for sharing your perspective. I agree they make a quality product, no doubt. I do think it's possible that an improvement can be had with a better quality power cable. I noted an improvement on my larger RMB1095 amps. Others have noted the same here on the forum. I liken it to when you buy a Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, etc. and change out the air box or muffler from what was stock. People do this all the time to eek out better performance, understanding of course it's a balancing act.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Thank you for sharing your perspective. I agree they make a quality product, no doubt. I do think it's possible that an improvement can be had with a better quality power cable. I noted an improvement on my larger RMB1095 amps. Others have noted the same here on the forum. I liken it to when you buy a Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, etc. and change out the air box or muffler from what was stock. People do this all the time to eek out better performance, understanding of course it's a balancing act.
Changing out an air box will allow better air intake and changing muffler can allow more air out. Either way there is a difference in designs. Just because one or the other is swapped there is no guaranteed performance improvement.

Copper wires of the same gage is still the same design regardless of the price you pay. If there was truly a difference more manufacturers of exotic cables would offer free trials.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You are correct. I like both Synergistic Research and Shunyata Research. For a power amp, you’ll want a 10 AWG cable. Call the cable company.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thank you very much for the replies. I would need something like this but with 2 prongs:

https://www.audioquest.com/ac-power/ac-power-cables/nrg-series/nrg-z3
The standard 15A IEC C15 connector to the amp which appears to have a C18 inlet based on picture of amp online will work fine even though the amplifier does not have the 3rd prong for the ground. The elimination of the ground is fairly common for home theater applications in order to work around ground looping hum issues. I assume your outlet accepts 3 prongs.

For description of different cable connectors and inlets, check out below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320?wprov=sfti1

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Check out the theory on partial vs total shielding with power cables. Especially Paul’s opinion from PS Audio. He has reached the conclusion that shielding should start at the wall and stop short of the device after years of research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Rotel makes quality products. If a beefier cable would provide any benefit at all, Rotel would've spent the extra dollar or so for a "beefier" one.

They aren't going to spend money on all of these quality parts and then use a restrictive power cable and negate the benefits of them.
You would think....

Not to mention that power cords have national/international regulations from UL, CSA and CE to name a few. Never mind that something as basic and simple as a power cord is freshmen level stuff so not a concern. Now if you replace a 3 foot cable with a 30 foot power cord--then you need to increase the gauge of the cable to prevent voltage drop--so that matters.

Look at medical equipment that keeps people alive--maybe not important as something like a power amp but to a lot of people in hospitals--it IS important. ;) Yep, good ol' "green dot" plugs on power cords of specific standards so people don't die. Not very expensive, if you are paranoid get a hospital grade power cord. Be aware that it should be mated with a hospital grade outlet which has much stronger connections and the grounds on those hospital grade outlets have some serious ground pull. After all, an electrical connection is two sides and it takes two to tango--use a hospital grade outlet with a hospital grade plug and it should run less than around 30 bucks if you are paranoid.

There are a few rules, DON'T use a 3 prong power cord that does not have a ground for the ground pin. If you see a ground on a plug, it implies it is a grounded piece of equipment...if it is not, in some situations, you can get into legal problems (hospitals for instance)

Be aware that a power cord is a piece of the grid that goes all the way back to the power generating plant. Typically, you should only worry about the power "from the pole" and generally what breaker your equipment is connected. Yeah, no point in using a 10 guage power cord that is a meter long when the outlet has 30 meters of 12 guage going to a breaker--make sense? Using a 10 guage won't hurt it but useless in actual use.

Shielded power cords...plugged into unshielded wire that feeds the wall outlets--think about it! Shielded power cables have a specific use in a specific environment and that is not your house--or at least I hope it is not your house! :eek:

If you want to spend money on something that looks cool--have at it. However, if you feel the need to improve your power--do it to the entire house. Com grade grounds are nice, full house surge suppression from actual companies that specialize in power for highly sensitive electronics (server farms, research labs, military research, hospitals, NASA etc.) How does FedEx employees run around on an active flightline loading aircraft in the middle of a lightning storm in Memphis without getting struck by lightning? They change the location of electrical ground is how--pretty cool stuff.

If you are curious or really actually give a flying F about how electricity works--next time you are in a hospital, look at the power cords they use. Swing by a server farm, look at how they do power systems--pretty cool stuff. I've been to a long term research lab and they have some serious high grade power systems as they must be operational 100 percent for years. Sorry, no Suntaya, PS Audio or Audio Quest stuff there--everything must be certified, tested and retested one or more times annually--because it is that important.

Bring it back to the companies that make amplfiers--I'm talking the larger companies, not the niche' stuff. Yamaha makes robots, motorcycles, all sorts of electronics for the consumer and professional markets and has been doing so for decades. They MIGHT know what they are doing! Samsung is the world's largest electronics firm (and own Harman) they build military hardware, build huge ships, electronics for aircraft, space and build the world's tallest buildings. Yeah, they also make their own chips, electronic components and build vast amounts of video screens, computer memory and the list goes on. For some odd reason, but only in audio are these huge electronics companies all blithering idiots and something as basic as amp ratings and voltage drops across a hunk of wire a complete mystery to them. Yeah, everyone on the planet, all the engineers the world over get it wrong but some audiophile company knows better--makes sense to me! :rolleyes:

I have used many amps over the years, even the very high power professional amplifiers that are driven hard at very high outputs. Funny, a 2 KW pro amp that was driven to the limiters for many hours did not have a 10 guage power cord... never mind the 15 amp plug has very specific standards and if you "need" a larger cord because of excessive current demands, you will be required to use a 20 or 30 amp plug to meet that demand by law. Look at the fuse in the amp, that will guide you with what you need also...hmmm, if it is an 8 amp fuse....you don't "need" a massive power cable for that.

Now if you have a 20,000 watt PowerSoft commercial grade amplifier used on world tours--use the cord they provide with that monster and it must be plugged into the correct power they specify. If you ever start playing with commercial amplifiers, you had better know exactly what you are doing. PowerSoft assumes you are a professional so if you fry yourself, burn down your house that is on you--not for consumer use and they are not at fault.

To the OP, get a replacement cord from Rotel--they actually do understand power cords and I have not heard of any recalls for getting it wrong. If you want to blow a load of cash on some jewelry with a heaping load of utter BS thrown in for free--by all means, your money. However, I tend to give Rotel, Yamaha, Crown, Samsung and other larger companies some credit that their engineers are actually engineers and not burning down my house or getting electrocuted tends to be important to me. You can get a hospital grade cord, cut off the 3 prong plug and get a good 2 prong from Hubbel if you like--if you know how to wire plugs.

The last thing to remember, how come audiophile equipment is such utter, unsafe, barely functional crap that needs easily replaced items with "proper" materials? Odd, my Samsung computer and Samsung TV never need that replaced but I'm sure my Crown amp will because... Samsung turned into utter morons with amplfiers--and the national/international certification folks somehow give audio gear a pass.

Something to think about...

·
Registered
80 Posts
next time you are in a hospital, look at the power cords they use. Swing by a server farm, look at how they do power systems--pretty cool stuff. I've been to a long term research lab and they have some serious high grade power systems as they must be operational 100 percent for years. Sorry, no Suntaya, PS Audio or Audio Quest stuff there
Actually the technology from Shunyata Research’s medical division, Clear Image Scientific, is applied to their reference NR audiophile power cables.

Unlike medical devices though audiophile cables don’t go through the FDA’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH) review and approval process like the components of a medical device do. The rigor depends on the medical device’s class (i.e. 1, 2, 3) designation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts