AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the installers before they came to install Dish 500 upgrade.

I told him I was going to use my old Dish for 61.5 and wanted him

to set up. What else do I need? I don't have my dish 6000 yet just

getting ready. He quoted my $120.00 for my SW64 and total of $195

to wire the dishes together and wire up SW64. I have 2 receivers one

HDTV ready SONY HS61K set.

What else do I need to know or ask about

Thanking you in advance

David

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DK>The 195 is for the SW64 switch and the hook of of OLD DISH and wireing in switch. At the present I only have ONE HDTV ready TV. In future I may

get another for the den. I will buy ONE HD 6000. Should I wire for the future?

Obese One

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Since you have already called installer, might just as well hook up for the future if possible. $195 seems a good deal and I wouldn't mind paying more for future, I think the installer would like the idea also.

Once you have your 6000, I believe you can either use its component HD out, or VGA plus a VGA to RGBHV BNC converter cable ($20) for your Sony. I don't have a Sony HS61K though, can only tell you what I heard.

[This message has been edited by jacmyoung (edited 03-18-2001).]

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've got a question about this install- if I have a dish pointed at 119 (this is the majority of the DISH programming) and a dish pointed at 148, shouldn't I be able to feed each LNB into a SW21? When I do this I can get a signal on the 119, but when I chose the 148 dish from the menu it says "unknown dish". Can someone help?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hoops2:
I've got a question about this install- if I have a dish pointed at 119 (this is the majority of the DISH programming) and a dish pointed at 148, shouldn't I be able to feed each LNB into a SW21? When I do this I can get a signal on the 119, but when I chose the 148 dish from the menu it says "unknown dish". Can someone help?
Did you do a "check switches" before testing the 148? It needs to learn your set up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yes I did. It came back and said only 1 dish was connected. Do I need to aim them without the switch first independently? Do I still choose the muli-dish installation from the menu when I do this?

·
Registered
82 Posts
David,

Too bad you don't have a lot of time, I have a brand new switch 64 still in the box that I don't need that I would sell for less than half - $50.00, as far as that goes I have 2 300 dishes, a switch 21 and a 4900 receiver with the card.

Phil

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Yes I did. It came back and said only 1 dish was connected. Do I need to aim them without the switch first independently?
Yes. Hook each dish straight into your receiver and get each dish pointed properly before hooking up the switches and then doing "check switches".

Quote:
Do I still choose the muli-dish installation from the menu when I do this?
I don't remember the menu names, but you want to be on that page where you can select the individual sat you are trying to receive.

Once both dishes are pointed properly, *then* hook up the switches.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, I tried pointing each dish independantly (without the sw21) and got over 100 signal strength on each one. Then I connected the switch and went to the "check switch" menu. It only found the 119 and it said "warning- only 1 dish detected." Is there a trick to this? I've done it before with the 61.5 (but it was a long time ago). Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have a question on my simpler Dish installation. I've got a Dish 5000 + HDTV modulator on order, soon to be followed by a HD card for my HTPC for some time-shifting HDTV. I'm keeping DirecTV around due to NFL Sunday Ticket, so all I want Dish for is HDTV - HD-HBO and HD-Showtime. I don't really have room on my apartment balcony for a dish farm, so I want to add just one Dish dish.

So, what Dish dish and switch and whatnot should I get for this and how should I hook it up?

-Abdul

·
Registered
152 Posts
Actually, this is exactly what I am doing. You will need at least 2 dishes. You'll need 1 dish for the 148 or 61.5 (DISH HD) and 1 for the 101 (DirectTV). I used the elliptical dish to point at 119 and 101 and then a second dish for the 148. That way, I've got the regular programming and HD contenet from DISH, and I can still get Sunday Ticket from DirectTV on the 101.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.