1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded my HTPC with the following:

Lite-On iHOS04 Blu-Ray Reader

ZOTAC GeForce 8400GS 512MB

And I've hooked up my 42" Olevia 242TFHD LCD TV via HDMI to the vid card and now I have no sound through my green plug audio speaker connection. I've searched this forum as well as everywhere on the internet and nothing has really helped. I tried to update the Realtek HD Audio drivers but that didn't work either any suggestions? Should I return the vid card, do I need a different mobo?

Here is the rest of my HTPC specs:

Case: ANTEC NSK1300

Mobo: ECS GeForce7050M-M (v1.0a) - This was a Fry's combo special with CPU

CPU: AMD 64 X2 BE-2300 (AM2)

RAM: 2GB DDR2 800

HDD: WD 120GB IDE

DVD: Lite-On iHOS04 Blu-Ray Drive (SATA)

Video: ZOTAC GeForce 8400 GS 512MB

Sabrent SATA Controller (had issues with Blu-Ray SATA and onboard SATA controller.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Sound through HDMI? This is possible only when you connect the mb internal SPDIF to the graphics card internal SPDIF. The green plug audio speaker connection has nothing to do with HDMI audio.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to the ZOTAC website this vid card (the reason I picked it up in addition to the cheap cost) is that it's supposed to be able to handle audio and video through HDMI.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu292 /forum/post/18146589

According to the ZOTAC website this vid card (the reason I picked it up in addition to the cheap cost) is that it's supposed to be able to handle audio and video through HDMI.

Yup, that's true. But you still need to feed audio to the card from somewhere (typically onboard audio codec). 8400 GS lacks an HD audio controller itself.

As for NVIDIA discrete graphics, only the latest GeForce 210/GT 220/GT 240 has its own HD audio controller so that it can grab audio from the PCI Express bus.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again Renethx, after going back and forth for about a day with the tech support of the video card I finally modded my own cable and got it to work. I finally have sound coming out of my HTPC via the HDMI port.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.