AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason for this post is because of the problems people have been experiencing with audio and video being out of sync using the WinDVD Platinum software.

First off, my HTPC:

AV Science 1Ghz P3, 512 MB Ram

ATX MB (Can’t recall chipset)

ATI Radeon 7200 with 64MB RAM

M-Audio 24/96 Audiophile Sound Card with SPDIF and analog outputs (using SPDIF out ) feeding a Lexicon MC-1 Preamp Processor

Toshiba DVD Drive

Windows ME

Intervideo WinDVD Platinum Playback (upgraded from Win DVD 2.3)

Projector is a JVC G11 DILA

Observations:

When I installed Win DVD Platinum it uninstalled vsn 2.3 first. Install went OK with not problems.

With the DVD DMA checked and Hardware and color acceleration boxes checked in the video setup, I was able to view the picture and watch DD 5.1 with no audio lag. (I am using the SPDIF/Wave in the M-Audio software). Initially Platinum wasn’t recognizing SPDIF ,with the radio button grayed out and unelectable. It was only giving me 2 channel Pro Logic. I finally found in an Audio sub menu the selection for Wave out and the SPDIF button became selectable.

The Audio problem started when I tried to use DTS, which had worked perfectly in vsn 2.3. The image wouldn’t play and when it tried would lock up. Deselecting (after a computer reboot) hardware compensation, I was able to run DTS with no problem. I didn’t really see video degradation as motioned with hardware compensation deselected as mentioned in other posts. I also found a work around if you are insistent on using hardware compensation with DTS. Once the DVD started playing I went to setup and selected Hardware compensation. The player picked up from where it had been interrupted and both audio and video played fine.

As a side note, I tried to use ZoomPlayer (I like to be able to move the image up or down), reregistered the filters, DD5.1 worked fine but DTS reverted to Pro Logic. It almost looked like ZP registered the old 2.3 A/V filters. The highest version to pick from in ZP was WinDVD 4.0. Any Ideas?

I must admit, I like the functionality of Platinum and the picture seems to be sharper and have better color saturation.

Next step is to install the WinDVD remote Control.

Don

· Registered
405 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.