AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally upgraded to SP1 (XP Pro) and everything works great except my modem (Sterling v.92 PCI). Whenever I try to access it, I get Error 633 (modem in use by another program).


I have nothing else running in the background, and no conflicts. I have tried using several different COM settings, and upgraded to the latest drivers, but nothing works. The only straightforward thing I haven't done is physically move the card to another slot, because it is a pain for me to pull out my computer.


Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,996 Posts
Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling dail-up networking?


---UNINSTALL IT---

My experience has been that it's difficult to completely uninstall a device in WinXP unless you physically remove it from the PC. That would seem to be the next logical thing to do. Reboot with the modem not in the machine and remove any associated software, drivers, and dail-up networking. Even use a registry cleaner to delete any reg key containing that device. I like Registry Commander at www.aezay.dk .


Then try installing the modem back in the machine.


Good Luck

Hammer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,102 Posts
Is the modem in device manager? If so, is it showing the right modem? Have you tried to uninstall the hardware and then reinstall with either a newer driver or a fresh copy of the same driver?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,979 Posts
In Device Manager, if you right-click on the modem, click Properties, click the diagnostics tab and click the Query Modem button, does it succeed in communicating with the modem?


You may be having a conflict with other serial ports in the system, disable any unused serial ports in BIOS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice.


I've tried the driver uninstall/install (different versions), tried playing with the dial-up network, queried the modem (it is there and shows up correctly), and tried changing the COM port to find one without a conflict. None of this helps, so it is time to physically remove the modem. If this doesn't help, I go on to the BIOS.


Just for info, I rarely use the modem in my HTPC - only for windows updates (and in emergencies when I can't convince a member of my family to vacate the computer with the cable modem). I prefer my HTPC to be outside of my network so I don't clutter everything with anti-virus and firewall software.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top