Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have just purchased a 4040 unit, and I plan to upgrade it to a 320GB model, but I have some questions:

I have read the drive upgrade HOWTO completely, and it seems to cater to doing a single drive upgrade. Are there detailed, specific steps on how to perform a dual drive upgrade?

My goal is to just make a backup of the image on the current 40GB drive, pull that drive, and then replace it with a pair of Maxtor 160GB drives. This will leave me with an essentially untouched original drive in the event problems develop.

Also, I am fairly certain that none of the available Win2k/WinXP machines I have at my disposal have support for the 160GB drives. Will I need to purchase some sort of PCI IDE controller (Promise?) to allow the RTVPatch program to correctly initialize these drives for placement in the 4040?

Lastly, are there any "gotchas" I need to be aware of? I have upgraded my fair share of Tivo units previously, and I am just getting started in the Replay universe.

Many Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
323 Posts
1. You should use a controller which supports the full size, as otherwise the Photo partition will be scrozzled and the machine rendered unbootable.

2. First, copy the system partition from the 40 to the first 160. Patch/Reset mpeg partition. Format photo partition.

3. Test your one-drive 160GB replay system. See if the remaining recording time indicates more than 137 hours available, indicating full support for 160GB drives for your latest downloaded OS.

4. Plug the two 160s in and run the patch -- only this time say you're making a two drive unit. It will ask you to specify drive #1 and drive #2, patch the first, set up the second, and you'll be set.

5. Test your dual 160 system. If errors occur, repeat from step 1.

I have done this. I am now down to 9 hours left unrecorded. I do have all the Pretender episodes, all the Andromeda season 2, all of Mutant X, all of Southpark Season 5, and even a bunch of Simpson, STTNG, Voyager, and VIP ;-)

Mman ;-)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Yeah, once you have a working patched 160gb drive, RTVPatch makes a dual drive system incredibly easily - just do what markus says (make sure you set drive one to master and drive 2 to slave -- replay's implementation of cable select may be a bit suspect).

As for your ide controller issue, yes you will need another controller in order to go beyond 137gb if your current controller does not do the 133mhz udma 6 thing. The Maxtor 160gb that I bought came bundled with a 'free' 133 mhz pci controller that worked perfectly. As a bonus, I was able to do the upgrade without unplugging any of my current ide drives.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.