AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any disadvantage to downloading the 5040 image via ftp, I believe the location has been posted here? Unless I am missing something this seems to make more sense then taking the drive out of the 5040, connecting both to a PC and copying the image since there is much more potential for things to go wrong.

Regards,

Adam

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Using the image should work fine. Download the OS build that matches what the unit is running.

Either way will work. BTW if something did go wrong you'd normally d/l the image to recover anyway. So if you are already gonna lose your shows, the risk is the same either way: not much.

It's pretty foolproof. ;)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by almazza
Is there any disadvantage to downloading the 5040 image via ftp, I believe the location has been posted here? Unless I am missing something this seems to make more sense then taking the drive out of the 5040, connecting both to a PC and copying the image since there is much more potential for things to go wrong.

Regards,

Adam
Um... I'm missing something them. You need to have the 5040 drive and the drive containing the 5040 image on the same pc. It isn't a simple file copy from PC drive to 5040 drive.

You can download the 5040 image at anytime and then hook up the 5040 drive and re-image (correct term) it anytime. Or, you could have both drives hooked up, download the 5040 image then re-image the 5040 drive. There shouldn't be anymore potential for things to go wrong with the 5040 drive hooked up while you download the image since windows isn't going to see the other drive as a filesystem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, if you were to totally botch the replay drive, you could install the image from ftp. So what is so special about the installed 5040 drive *without* the image on it? When I talk about the potential for thngs to go wrong, I am referring simply to the extra handling of the drive.

Adam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.