AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom needs a replacement receiver, and I am considering having her use my Marantz SR5003.

So, I am trying to figure out what would be a justifiable replacement for it without dropping a lot of money.

My current configuration is:

Pioneer Elite 101 monitor, fed by my Marantz SR5003 Receiver, with a Monoprice 4x2 HDMI switch in-line

Fed into the receiver are:

- Tivo Premiere

- Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray player

- Playstation 3

I have few complaints with the receiver, and I am mostly considering handing it down, since my mother's needs are limited, and it sounds good.

From a "bug" standpoint, I will occasionally get bad HDMI handshakes, resulting in no audio until I power the receiver off, and then on again. This only seems to happen with my Tivo Premiere (and I believe it has to do with resolution changes, and could be the Tivo's fault, or just a compatibility problem).

Things I specifically like about the SR5003:

- I do use the DSD direct output from the Oppo to the receiver, so I don't want to lose that (not sure if it is still offered).

- I want the receiver to leave the HDMI signal un-touched, unless requested, but the "power off pass-through" offered in some receivers wouldn't help me, since I have a monitor, not a full television.

- I like both the "old" and "new" looks of the Marantz lines in their own ways, so that isn't much of an issue. I'd prefer that it be on the sturdy/well-built side, though.

From a wish-list standpoint:

- I would love to be able to stream my FLAC files over the network, instead of having to use my PS3 for that purpose.

- Having the 2 HDMI outputs offered on the SR600x series would be nice in that I could take the HDMI switch out of the mix. It is relatively reliable, but has been known to flake out on occasion, and of course is just an extra point of failure. Not good for the WAF.

- Having something with network updatable firmware would seem like a nice thing, just because it might hypothetically make things future proof, and potentially resolve HDMI handshake issues like I am experiencing now.

- 7.2 could be nice, since I have an extra sub-woofer sitting around, but I can't say that would improve the WAF.

None of these are a must, but any would be nice.

So, my question is where might the sweet spot be in the Marantz line in terms of updating my receiver to gain some worthwhile features, without breaking the bank. This year's line is priced drastically higher than the rest from what I can see, so unless there is a deal that I haven't seen, those are probably out of the question.

Thanks, in advance.

·
Premium Member
92,562 Posts
You'll get a better deal on last year's models on clearance, although note the 6006 doesn't do DSD over HDMI as will the 6007. Note also that the 2nd sub pre-out can be replicated with a $3 RCA "Y" splitter cable. The HDMI handshake with the TiVo is not a bug with the AVR, rather with the TiVo (and many other brands of cable/sat boxes) so will likely continue with a new AVR. The work around is to connect the HDMI directly to the TV with optical from the TiVo to the AVR. Also note that the dual HDMI out on the 600X series can only pass the same video source to each output.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did know that last year's would be cheaper, but since I am now 4 generations behind, I wasn't sure which of the older models might be the sweet spot for me, or the best regarded in the community. That is annoying/strange that they eliminated, and then replaced, the DSD streaming feature, as that will make my decision tougher. I was aware that you could use an RCA adapter of sorts, but I wasn't sure how that impacted calibration and other things. I thought perhaps having two dedicated sub pre-outs on the receiver would result in each being more easily calibrated individually.

That is not surprising to me about the handshake likely being on the Tivo end of things, though it is frustrating to me that is has not been fixed by a software update. I don't really want to make the HDMI wiring any more complicated than it already is, but I do see how that might solve the problem. However, it would make the setup more difficult for my wife to use, I'd have to think.

Also perhaps worth noting, I have no real concerns about 3D, so capabilities of switching 3D sources is irrelevant to me.

·
Premium Member
92,562 Posts
Models with the second sub pre-out that use Audyssey MultEQ XT or lower simply use an internal "Y" splitter. The X005 and newer models are all 3D so a moot point. Many wives prefer not to use the sound system which makes connecting the cable/sat box directly to the TV even easier for them as they don't have to turn on the AVR at all. Also, look into a Harmony remote (650) which generally garners many WAF points.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1429243/upgrading-a-marantz-sr5003#post_22401224

Models with the second sub pre-out that use Audyssey MultEQ XT or lower simply use an internal "Y" splitter. The X005 and newer models are all 3D so a moot point. Many wives prefer not to use the sound system which makes connecting the cable/sat box directly to the TV even easier for them as they don't have to turn on the AVR at all. Also, look into a Harmony remote (650) which generally garners many WAF points.

The "television" in this case is a monitor with no speakers. I have a remote very similar to a Harmony, but she prefers to use the old-school Radio Shack Silver All-in-one. Not sure why she doesn't take to it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1429243/upgrading-a-marantz-sr5003#post_22401235

Ah, that's right, you did say "monitor" only before. The other two work arounds are (1) connecting component/optical from the cable/sat box to the AVR or (2) setting the cable/sat box to a specific resolution, eg. 1080i. Consider the Harmony remote if the "similar" or RS remote don't do 1 touch activities.

Thank you for the input. I do understand some of the possible workarounds, but for now, I consider them less attractive than the current situation. If, as you say, changing the receiver is unlikely to resolve the issue, I can move past that. Still looking for any further input on the original question.

As for the similar remote, it does use one touch activities. Those aren't an issue. I think if I hid the old remote for a week or two, she'd figure it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts