AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my second UTV and was thinking about upgrading the HD before ever turning the box on. Do you think the HD that comes with the box is already locked and need to be Noobie'ized to be reused in a PC?

·
Registered
592 Posts
The drive is almost certainly loaded with software and locked to the UTV. When you turn on your new UTV it works "out of the box" without the need to download software (via dial-up or satellite).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just got a 2nd Sony UTV with the $200 MIR. I had a similar question: should I upgrade it now while it can be easily done via 3.5 or should I wait until the warranty runs out and then upgrade? If I chose the latter, I'm worried that M$ may do something to prevent the upgrade procedure which is currently working. Any thoughts??? (I already have upgraded my 1st Sony UTV to a 120GB'er without a hitch.)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drsquish
Just got a 2nd Sony UTV with the $200 MIR. I had a similar question: should I upgrade it now while it can be easily done via 3.5 or should I wait until the warranty runs out and then upgrade? If I chose the latter, I'm worried that M$ may do something to prevent the upgrade procedure which is currently working. Any thoughts??? (I already have upgraded my 1st Sony UTV to a 120GB'er without a hitch.)
Here's what I did. I got my second UTV right around the time 3.5 came out. I unpacked the box, called DTV and activated it. It came loaded with 3.0. After it was activated, I played with it for a couple of hours, checking to make sure there weren't any factory defects out of the box. After I was sure it worked, I disconnected it from the dish and swapped out the HD. It has worked flawlessy since then.

One reason you may want to do it right away, before it downloads 3.5 off the satellite, is that once 3.5 is installed on the original HD, some people have been experiencing difficulty doing the upgrade. For some reason, if 3.5 is loaded on you UTV, you need to unplug the unit and leave it unplugged for an hour before the new drive will zero out properly. No idea why this happens, but numerous people have reported it. Good luck.

·
Registered
246 Posts
LongRufus, I don't think people are having trouble upgrading with 3.5 as you suggest. I think it is when they try to recover use of the old drive that they have reported problems.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I upgraded my hd from 3.5 last week, and had no problems at all.

Have not tried to nooobie my old drive yet though..

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 1st Sony UTV was 3.5 when I upgraded almost 2 weeks ago. Never had any problems with installing the new 120GB hd. Recovering the old 40GB was not difficult either if you follow the methods posted. I'm not sure if all of this is really necessary but the steps I followed (after upgrading the unit with the 120GB hd) were:

(the following steps assume you are comfortable doing this. I take no responsibility for any damage you may do to your equipment by following these steps.)

1. power down UTV unit (via remote control) and wait 5 minutes

2. disconnect all wiring, power cord to UTV, and remove smart card (must remove card before opening the cover)

3. wait for 1 hour

4. open up the UTV and remove the 120GB hd

5. remove the ide hd ribbon cable from the UTV motherboard

6. connect another ide ribbon cable to the UTV motherboard

7. connect other end of ribbon cable to old 40GB hd

8. using an old PC power supply, power up the 40GB

9. connect ONLY the power cable to the UTV and power up UTV

10. the lights should start to flash. give the UTV approx 5 minutes to start the zeroing process for the 40GB (listen to the hd and make sure you hear a constant clicking noise to confirm zeroing)

11. carefully remove the ide cable from the hd while it is still powered up and zeroing - careful is the key word

12. keep the PC power supply on for approx 1-1.5 hours until the clicking stops. I'd play it safe and wait 1.5 hours - after all what's the hurry anyway...

13. meanwhile, while waiting for step 12 to complete, power down the UTV, disconnect power cord,reconnect the 120GB hd, close the cover, and reconnect the cables and smart card, etc. The UTV should be up and running just it was before.

14. when step 12 finishes, try the 40GB in your PC. If it is still not unlocked you may need to wait a little longer in steps 10 and/or 12. Do not wait too long in step 10 however, otherwise the UTV may finish the zeroing and marry itself to the original 40GB again, voiding the 120GB upgrade you just did. I'd think up to 10 minutes should be fine but I've never timed it either...

Anyway the reason why I posted the original message was a concern that if I wait too long, the easy upgrade path to the 120GB may change or disappear. Guess I'll take a wait and see attitude...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.