AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, but didn't see anything specific. I'm leaning towards the 120GB/120hr Maxtor QuickView drive from ReplayTV.us, any comments on this drive and vendor?


TIA,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,038 Posts
Almost any 120gb drive will do.


Go to planetreplay.com, or read the faq in the link here. You need only the software. Some folks here sell them 'ready to go'.


John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigjohns
Almost any 120gb drive will do.


Go to planetreplay.com, or read the faq in the link here. You need only the software. Some folks here sell them 'ready to go'.


John
Thanks, I did read the FAQ and I've been to Planetreplay, along with a number of other Replay websites. I am planning on buying a pre-loaded drive, with a warranty. That's why I'm asking about that specific drive and that specific vendor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,162 Posts
IMHO:


Get the Samsung drive from MikeyBoy at www.replaytvparts.com if you're looking for a pre-loaded 2k/3k/Showstopper drive.


The're extremely quiet (this is not just a subjective assessment either - published data can be usd to back up the claim) very reliable. Mikeyboy describes them as "probably the best drive" he's ever used for these machines ( or was it just "probably the best drive ever used."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,038 Posts
And mikeyboy is 100% reliable. That's a great drive. I think that the samsungs don't work in the 5xxx series, but they're awesome, cool, and quiet (very important things in a showstopper).


John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Mikeboy sold me the Samsung drive.

It was totally quiet and fast.

Mikeboy also sells powersupply of the showstopper, as it will fail sooner or later.

Mikeboy gives great services .

I can vow for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by strpyw
Mikeboy sold me the Samsung drive.

It was totally quiet and fast.

Mikeboy also sells powersupply of the showstopper, as it will fail sooner or later.

Mikeboy gives great services .

I can vow for that.
We KNnowww!!!!.... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
My Showstopper is still kicking with the original 30gig HD. I decided to order a new 120gig from Mikeboy because he has helped me in the past on this forum. And my drive is very loud! Can't wait for it to come!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting. I had looked at Mikeboy's site, along with weaknees and several others. I was leaning towards ReplayTV.us because they had the most information about the various drives they used. I had passed on Mikeboy's because the site had almost no info on the drives used, just some photos where all you can see is the manufacturer's name, but not the model or any feature descriptions. However, all these endorsements will make me take another look at Mikeboy's site.


Thanks for the info. If anyone else has any comments I'd appreciate hearing them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,540 Posts
Maybe Mikeyboy thinks working on Replays, customer service and quality control are more important than designing pretty websites? I don't have anything against the other sites, but a nice website design doesn't always equal quality goods and services. JMPOV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
Buy from Mikeyboy! He will be around long after Replay changes hands again and again and again.......

I KNOW his customer service will be much better!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by chain777

Maybe Mikeyboy thinks working on Replays, customer service and quality control are more important than designing pretty websites? I don't have anything against the other sites, but a nice website design doesn't always equal quality goods and services. JMPOV
I wrote a snide little reply, but decided not to post it. Let me just say that I really couldn't care less about how pretty a website is, but I do care a lot about the infomation on it. Or in the case of Mikeboy's site, the information that is not on it. Is a listing drive makes/models and warranty info really too much to ask for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,103 Posts
That's 100% fair critism in my book.


Yet, don't be surprised if people start yelling at you, cause mikeyboy has helped many.


EDIT: you could always pm mikeyboy and ask him the questions you need to know and tell him why you don't like his website. Direct communication is a tenent of communication.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Driscoll
I wrote a snide little reply, but decided not to post it. Let me just say that I really couldn't care less about how pretty a website is, but I do care a lot about the infomation on it. Or in the case of Mikeboy's site, the information that is not on it. Is a listing drive makes/models and warranty info really too much to ask for?
Sorry you took my post as an insult to *you*. I was merely expressing my opinion and responding to:

Quote:
If anyone else has any comments I'd appreciate hearing them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just received a PM from Mike. It turns out the warranty info is on the site, in plain view, I simply missed it. :( :eek: Thanks Mike, for letting me know where to look. :)


Mike also seemed to think I should be able to read the make and model numbers off the photos on the website, but I cannot. I suspect that his site may be optimized for IE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
When I bought the drive replacement from Mikeyboy, I just trusted his judgement .After I installed it and got amazed, then i looked up the drive information in the net and found what other objective data existed.

Because Mikeyboy had helped me many times, I had complete confidence in his choices. Just like buying at Costco, usually the choice is reasonably cost effective.

I can understand it is not easy to give up one's control of cash flow.

But Mikeyboy is as good as Costco in my book.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top