AVS Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1517126/upgrading-an-old-surround-system-advice-needed#post_24460092

The other one is a passive radiator to help enhance the bass, it is not a regular mid-woofer driver.

It has no voice coil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_radiator_(speaker)

So then this looks like a normal speaker?

Can you verify the behavior I reported earlier- the driver without a voice coil doesn't produce sound, it just vibrates. Is that normal behavior for this speaker?

Thanks

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
That's exactly what a passive radiator does.
Quote:
A speaker enclosure using a passive radiator usually contains an "active driver" (or main driver), and a passive radiator (also known as a "drone cone"). The active driver is a regular driver, and the passive is typically the same or similar, but without a voice coil and magnet assembly. It is only a suspended cone, not attached to a voice coil or electrical circuit. The passive radiator usually has some means to adjust its mass, thereby allowing the speaker designer to change the box tuning. Internal air pressure produced by movements of the active driver cone moves the passive radiator cone as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Fantastic. So then all is good. Perhaps I just need to make some adjustments to fine tune it.

Thanks everyone. I'm relieved that I wasn't swindled!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

OK, so my new subwoofer arrived today and (surprise, surprise) I'm having trouble getting a sound out of it. 

I have it connected via RCA cable to the Pioneer's "Subwoofer Pre Out" port, but all I get from the subwoofer is a constant buzz. No LFE, no booms or rumbles. Just a constant hum.

I've gone through all the menus on the Pioneer 820k, setting my other speakers to "small" so that the bass should be filtered to the sub, but no luck. It just buzzes.

Is there a chance I got a bad subwoofer? Or maybe it's time to trade in the 820k for a Denon E400? 

21 - 25 of 25 Posts