AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Currently I have a BenQ W1080ST projecting from 7 feet away onto a 120'' Draper Luma 2 High Contrast Grey screen. Accordingly to projector calculator I would have to place the HW30ES at around 13 feet to achieve the same screen size.

I currently watch a lot of sports cable content, blu-ray movies, and ps4 games. I have a light controlled room, but right now the BenQ is used similar to a living room TV. (On for 8 hours a day). My dad is retired and uses the projector room all day.

I can obtain the Sony HW30ES for approximately $1,400, which I believe is a good price. Correct me if I'm wrong.

First question:
In terms of PQ, will the Sony HW30ES blow the BenQ out of the water? The BenQ has a soft picture to me . I'm wondering if the Sony HW30ES will help alleviate this problem

Second question:
Will the Sony HW30ES be bright enough?

What you think guys?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I purchased a Darbee which is coming in today. Hopefully that can help fix the soft picture I have with my BenQ.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Having a short-throw projector on a high-gain screen is the wrong way to go, the wide angles the projector throws out really messes with the reflective screen edges and corners. The longer throw from the Sony will perform a lot better with your screen and that price is fantastic if it's new.

The Sony has about 2.5X or 3X the contrast of the Benq (which will only matter when the room is dark), but it's 3D wasn't very good and it's out-of-the-box color accuracy doesn't quite match the Benq (though it is very capable).

The Sony should look plenty sharp, but the Benq SHOULD look REALLY sharp so I'm worried about why yours doesn't..but hoping it's just a perception issue with the screen and short-throw.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts