AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. So I've finally decided on upgrading my audio. I just replaced my old TV with a Samsung LN46A650 and need some good audio to match. Currently, I've been running an old Sony receiver (STR-DE945) to some Boston Acoustics speakers. For my mains, I have two floor standing VR20, my center is a VR10, and my surrounds are two VRS.

Now I'm looking to upgrade to probably the SVS SCS-01 as my mains and center, and a couple SBS-01 as my surrounds, powered by the Onkyo SR606. Now I was wondering, will the SVS be a significant upgrade over the Boston Acoustics? Or has my receiver just been too crappy to get enough out of them, and all I need to do is upgrade my receiver?

Also, what is the general consensus on the SVS speakers? It doesn't seem like they're ever at the top of the thread discussions, but they seem to be great speakers for the price range.

Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunsojr /forum/post/14346644

Now I was wondering, will the SVS be a significant upgrade over the Boston Acoustics?

I have an opinion but why don't you try the SVS speakers on a 30-day trial? See if they will sell you only a pair, and if you keep them, will still give you the package price on the rest of the speakers.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
About a month ago I've changed my front array ( 03 x JBL Studio S38II ) for the SCS-01's and tell you what, the SVS setup DO sound better to my ears

Don't know about the Bostons, though.

Good luck on your chase and don't forget what sivadselim said

Regards, Chuck

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone else have any opinions? Is upgrading to the SVS speakers worth it? Or do I just need the new receiver? If so, are the SVS the best option in that price range?

·
Registered
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunsojr /forum/post/14368258

Well, I think I'm gonna take the plunge. I hope I'm making the right move.

You can send them back if it's not. Open the boxes carefully and save all the packing material. When you get the new speakers, give yourself a chance to get used to them before you make any decisions. First impressions can be very deceiving. Except for maybe initially, I would avoid trying to make heads-up comparisons. Listen to the SVS speakers for 2 or 3 weeks, with a wide variety of your usual listening material, making mental notes about what you are hearing that is different and whether you think it sounds better, worse, or just different. Do the new speakers lack something that your Bostons have? Do they add something that your Bostons didn't have? Etc.. You'll begin to notice certain passages in certain recordings that sound distinctly different. Then, after developing a good overall comparative impression of the 2 speakers, hook your Bostons back up and see what you think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts