AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My system is pretty low fi, relatively speaking, a real mutt assembled over the years consisting of your basic consumer-grade stuff.

I've been thinking about upgrading some aspects and given the weird layout of my living room, to improve listening I've decided (for better or worse...) to go down the headphone path for moments of dedicated listening.

Currently I have an old Sony disc changer that at least has stood the test of time - it still works! This thing is probably 12 years old. It has more heft than some of the junky consumer ones out there now that seem like lightweight plastic. But I digress...

I drive the signal with a Technics SA-DX1050. Nothing fancy, no preamps, etc. Front speakers are Cerwin Vegas I've had for years. So this obvious not an audipphile setup.

I've ordered a set of Sennheiser HD600's and will probably follow up with a Creek headphone amp.

Here is the question: I think I'd like to upgrade the CD player and buy something that could grow with other system upgrades, i.e., amp and speakers, etc. I don't have a high end budget for any of this stuff, so it's a matter of best bang for the buck. But there is so much to choose from, I'd like some advice.

I was looking at the Rotel RCD 1072, single discc unit, and the Rotel RC 1055 5-disc carousel. Would the 1072 offer an appreciably better sound than the 1055? I like the convenience of a carousel but if the 1072 will help to maximize the path from CD to headphones, I could be up for it. The 1072 is around what I'd like to pay - $500 - $800 for the player. Any other units in that price range I should check out? Really hard to get a chance to listen to this stuff, too; in Cincinnati there is but one high audio place, I think.

Related question: would a preamp improve the sound for all aspects of listening when used in conjunction with the SA-DX1050?

I will probably spring for Cardas cables for the head-phones. For now, my goal is to maximize the headphone sound on a best bang for the buck budget.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
I would probably start with the speakers instead of the CD player, as this will be the most significant improvement you can make over those old CV. You probably won't notice much of a difference at all changing CD players with this setup as it is, IMO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Don't know about the new 1072. I've got the 1055 changer, and love its sound. I test drove a Pioneer Elite and a Denon [don't remember the model, but cost was about the same], and the Rotel was easily the winner.

That's when I learned I was more into "musical" than "detailed". Put another way, the Pioneer and Denon sounded a little more like technicians; and the Rotel, a little more like an artist.

Joe

·
Registered
561 Posts
I agree, first your speakers, or maybe you can look to this little device, it is called ADE-24, and it improves very much the sound of any CD player. You can find it in www.margulesaudio.com

·
Registered
5,605 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Rotels rcd 971 is generally considered teh better player if you can find one. The 1072 also had a fairly bad review and the 971 is considered a bit better constructed. They actually price out about the same. Other options I am looking at for cd players are the arcam cd72, Jolida 100A and musica hall mmf 25. Just my two cents. Sony XA7es is another consideration.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.