AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last upgrade will be a cd player. I was looking at the NAD 542 and would like some opinions on this model or other players in this price range. Would digital out be an improvement over my existing analog l/r outputs?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 /forum/post/0

My last upgrade will be a cd player. I was looking at the NAD 542 and would like some opinions on this model or other players in this price range. Would digital out be an improvement over my existing analog l/r outputs?

Not sure I understand. Digital out would bypass the DACs in the NAD, so you'd just be using it as a transport. I'd assume that you'd be buying the NAD specifically for the DACs...

What are you using now as a CD player? How about the AVR or preamp?

Scott

·
Banned
8,503 Posts

Quote:

It would only be an upgrade if the DACs in your receiver are better than those in the player. It would have to be a pretty nice receiver for this to be the case.

(Of course, I think that the most likely outcome is no audible difference either way.)

·
Registered
1,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM /forum/post/0

It would only be an upgrade if the DACs in your receiver are better than those in the player. It would have to be a pretty nice receiver for this to be the case.

(Of course, I think that the most likely outcome is no audible difference either way.)

PULLIAM - you're assuming the OP is not using an external DAC already

- Steve O.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The present cd player is an old Sony 5 disc player model # 305.. So digital out would not have any improvement of the sound? thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Quote:

The present cd player is an old Sony 5 disc player model # 305.. So digital out would not have any improvement of the sound? thanks for the help

As a couple other people have pointed out, probably not. Unless you're going to be connecting it to a high quality outboard DAC (or receiver/processor)...then you might get a better result.

Again, assuming that you're not using some sort of fancy outboard DAC, you would likely be much better off connecting the NAD via analog interconnects to your receiver.

Personally, I would think the NAD would be a nice improvement, but it'll be up to your ear and wallet to see if it's worth it.

Scott

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:

I was so close to pull trigger on Rega Apollo for my stereo source, but I bought MUCH MUCH cheaper SqueezeBox 3 from Slim Devices. I AM HOOKED. I highly recommend to you check it out, especially if you are going to digital out. SB3 has really low jitter via optical out. 192k feed internet radio sounds really at CD SQ. I no longer listen to same song twice .. unless I want to

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.