AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved into a house from an apartment and I can finally upgrade my little Dayton Sub 100. Now that I don't have to sweat the neighbors I'd like a sub that can dig deep, pressurize the room, and rock my face. BUT... I just dropped a lot of money on moving, furniture, etc and would like to do it as cheap as possible.

Room is roughly 13x15.

I was looking at these two:

Lava Sub 12

Emotiva Ultra 12

But I'm worried they won't go quite deep enough. Any other suggestions? Do I need to spend more on SVS, eD, or HSU to get there?

·
Registered
109 Posts
You'll want a ported sub, not sealed, if you're going for boom in a room.

Cheapest would be used. What is your actual budget, now that you've said cheaper is better?

The Hsu STF-2 is on sale for $320 + $39 shipping.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone /forum/post/19608683

You'll want a ported sub, not sealed, if you're going for boom in a room.

Cheapest would be used. What is your actual budget, now that you've said cheaper is better?

The Hsu STF-2 is on sale for $320 + $39 shipping.

I can swing under $400 shipped. Will the HSU STF-2 get me there? Just added it to a cart and with shipping + tax it's around 390. Anything else in this price-range that would be better?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
If you want to utterly pressurize the room, you will need to spend a bit more than 400. One thing you can do is buy one sub now and buy another one later, or you can just save up and buy one big sub. If extension is what you are truly after, I would save up 600, as the subs around that level start to have quite a bit more output down low than what you are budgeted for now. Sealed subs such as the Emotiva Sub 12 can give you some real extension, but only in multiples. Buy two or three Sub 12s and you might start to feel that deep gut churning bass. The STF2 will get you some deep bass but will still miss quite a bit as it only extends down to 25 hz before rolling off. It's still a good sub though, but placement will be key to getting punch out of that sub if you only get one. You might look at the Elemental Designs A2-300, from ED's website it extends pretty deep, down to 16 hz. I don't know how much output it offers that bass at though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So here's some final pricing. Right now I'm leaning towards the HSU but the Lava's price is really hard to resist. Would the difference in performance really be worth the extra 110?

Also, even though it's sealed would the CH 10.2 get me close to the bass I'm looking for? Seems to be well regarded.

Should I hang on to the Dayton and try to use it as a second sub or would it just muddy the superior bass i would be getting from one of these upgraded subs?

All prices shipped:

$385.91 - HSU STF-2

$270.77 - Lava LSP12

$445 - CraigSub CH 10.2

Knocking the eD and Emotiva out of the running because Emotiva raised the price on their new subs and eD will be a month wait.

$429 - Emotiva Ultra Sub 12

$416 - eD A2-300 4 week wait.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm learning a ton just reading through all these threads.

·
Registered
773 Posts
You could pressurize the room and more with an under $400 diy. I'm trying to find an early adopter (aka guinea pig) for my 300w 18" budget diy 9 cubic foot ported to 26hz sonotube project lol.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Sub sound got to be one of the hardest parts of setting up HT in a room. The variables are endless. It has to sound and feel the way you like it. Its a cut and try deal. One thing is always a sure bet, more clean amp power is a good thing. Things like, will two 10"s sound better the one 12". Crossover and level settings for all speakers, THX settings yes, no. Plus dealing with the auto set ups like audyssey. Let the fun begin.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul /forum/post/19615182

You could pressurize the room and more with an under $400 diy. I'm trying to find an early adopter (aka guinea pig) for my 300w 18" budget diy 9 cubic foot ported to 26hz sonotube project lol.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not much of a speaker/subwoofer builder.

Kind of liking the idea of the 10.2 but I can't tell if that would be any more juice than the STF-2

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ended up ordering the HSU STF-2. I really waffled between that and the CS 10.2 but the lack of reviews on the CS 10.2 decided it for me. I can't wait to hear this thing.

Would it be a good idea for me to keep my Dayton hooked up with the new sub or should I just run the STF-2?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Try it with both subs and with one sub. For some material you may only want to run one even if you have two hooked up. My STF-2 is excellent with music. You only need to get a splitter (at Radio Shack or monoprice.com) to run both subs. The STF-2 should be powerful enough to pressurize the room adequately by itself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler /forum/post/19620336

Try it with both subs and with one sub. For some material you may only want to run one even if you have two hooked up. My STF-2 is excellent with music. You only need to get a splitter (at Radio Shack or monoprice.com) to run both subs. The STF-2 should be powerful enough to pressurize the room adequately by itself.

Wow I couldn't shake the feeling that I should have gone to the CS 10.2 so I canceled my order and bought the Craigsub. I'll post my impressions when it arrives. Thanks for the info wwinkler.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts