AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone actually upgraded the firmware on their MWR20V6? I ask this, as I used to use Maxell 4x DVD-RW with this model, and one other until Maxell changed the disk(without changing its packaging or (printed)label.

I tried a spindle of Verbatim DVD-RW, but found that the unit will only record on these disks once somewhat reliably. Usually(8 or 9 times out of ten) neither unfinalize and delete, nor erase disk will produce more than an EXX error when trying to record.

The old Maxells still work well(99.9%), but of course they are getting long in the tooth having been rerecorded many, many times in the last 4 years.

I also have another older Funai Emerson EWR10D5 that will only use the original Maxell DVD-RWs mentioned above. I've never found a replacement source of disks for that one. Not even an unreliable source.

Of course both recorders will burn most DVR-R with varying degrees of success, but as I mainly use this recorder to time-shift I have no desire to build a huge library of DVDs I will never watch again/have to discard.

I'm not really interested in the harddisk based recorders, as I don't want to risk losing my entire "to be watched" with a single disk crash.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxit /forum/post/19629910

Has anyone actually upgraded the firmware on their MWR20V6? I ask this, as I used to use Maxell 4x DVD-RW with this model, and one other until Maxell changed the disk(without changing its packaging or (printed)label.

I tried a spindle of Verbatim DVD-RW, but found that the unit will only record on these disks once somewhat reliably. Usually(8 or 9 times out of ten) neither unfinalize and delete, nor erase disk will produce more than an EXX error when trying to record.

The old Maxells still work well(99.9%), but of course they are getting long in the tooth having been rerecorded many, many times in the last 4 years.

I also have another older Funai Emerson EWR10D5 that will only use the original Maxell DVD-RWs mentioned above. I've never found a replacement source of disks for that one. Not even an unreliable source.

Of course both recorders will burn most DVR-R with varying degrees of success, but as I mainly use this recorder to time-shift I have no desire to build a huge library of DVDs I will never watch again/have to discard.

I'm not really interested in the harddisk based recorders, as I don't want to risk losing my entire "to be watched" with a single disk crash.

In the absence of a firmware upgrade for your vintage Magnavox MWR20V6, and with your RW criteria, you will need quality media that meets the older 4x or 8x specification. The front page of the MWR20V6 Owner's Manual lists this media:

Recordable disc

We strongly recommend for good recording quality:

SONY DVD+RW 4x, MAXELL DVD+R 4x/8x/16x, SONY DVD+R 4x/8x/16x, TDK DVD+R 4x/8x/16x,

MAXELL DVD-RW 4x, MAXELL DVD-R 8x/16x

Discs that have been tested and are proven to be compatible with this recorder:

VERBATIM DVD+RW 4x VERBATIM DVD+R 8x

VERBATIM DVD-RW x VERBATIM DVD-R 8x JVC DVD-RW 4x MAXELL DVD-R 16x

Much has happened in the marketplace since Funai approved that owner's manual for printing. Maxell contracts out the manufacture of their DVDs, some of which might be inferior media manufactured by CMC. TDK, like Memorex, Imation, HP, Magnavox, Philips and many other DVD brands are also manufactured by CMC. Even the (cheap new) Verbatim Life Series DVDs are manufactured by CMC.

The Verbatim AZO series and DataLifePlus DVDs continue to be quality products.

Retail stores seldom stock 4x and 8x RW DVDs but such media is still sold online. Here are the 4x and 8x DVD-RW and DVD+RW listings at SuperMediaStore:

http://www.supermediastore.com/categ...sc-discs-media

http://www.supermediastore.com/categ...ter=Speed%3D4X

http://www.supermediastore.com/categ...ter=Speed%3D8X

Of those brands the JVC, Verbatim and Sony would probably be of the best quality.

Check your current use DVDs for fingerprints, dust, soiling or scratches. If necessary clean the DVDs with a mild hand-soap and a soft cloth wiping from the center hole to the outside edge. Rinse off the soap residue and dry the disc with a soft cloth, again wiping from the center hole to the outside edge.

If the DVD Drive's rubber spindle (turntable) hub is soiled DVDs might slip during read, write or finalizing procedures. This is a common cause for disc failures and other errors. Another concern is a dirty laser lens. Cleaning advice for Funai manufactured DVD Drives is found in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post19647592

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.