AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking to replace my HTiB (Onkyo 3400) with a better speaker system. I would like to keep my amplifier, since it is pretty good entry level amp, and replace the junk speakers for some Energy Classics 5.1.

However, since my sub currently is a passive sub, so I just run some wires to the sub and to the subwoofer. Energy's sub is a powered sub, so is there anyway I can get something that would act as an external amp for it to run to before it runs back to the amp??

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I'm a little confused by your wording....but if the Onkyo receiver has a "subwoofer out" female RCA connection at the back of the unit, then you just run a RCA to RCA audio cable or coaxial digital audio cable from the receiver to the powered subwoofer. No further connections to the sub at this point. The remainder of the Energy speakers connect directly to the individual channel outputs on the back of the receiver.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
You will be better off selling the whole HTIB together and buying a new "entry level" AVR and 5.1 speakers. You can probably sell the HTIB for what the AVR will cost (especially if you look at a used AVR).

@m_vanmeter - his AVR has speaker level connections for the sub, not an RCA (i.e. it is for a passive sub).

What's your budget for this upgrade?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think the 3400's receiver has a subwoofer pre-out on it. all the pics i have found of it online have been too low res to read the text under the hookups so i am not positive but it looks like there is one on the bottom left corner (back).

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasteru /forum/post/20881769

I think the 3400's receiver has a subwoofer pre-out on it. all the pics i have found of it online have been too low res to read the text under the hookups so i am not positive but it looks like there is one on the bottom left corner (back).

That looks like a remote control, subwoofer output is speaker level.

see images

·
Registered
933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasteru /forum/post/20881769

The Onkyo HT-S3400 doesn't have a sub pre-out on it. It has speaker level outputs. I can confirm this because just last week a friend of mine wanted a cheap little HtiB system and I had him get the Onkyo HT-S5400 specifically if he ever wanted to upgrade the sub that AVR at least had a pre-out for a powered sub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.