AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've been reading through many of the posts here and realize I have a lot to learn about receivers, preamps and speakers. I'm in the middle of a home theater upgrade and now that the video upgrade is complete, I am getting started on the audio side.

I'm currently using a 32" JVC and an Infocus X1 in the same room with the Kenwood HTB-504 receiver and speakers (5 speakers and 1 sub; claims to be 100Watt speakers at 8ohms).

I would like to upgrade my receiver for a few reasons:

1) I need a component video switch and shelling out $200 for an audio authority distribution amp seems dumb when I'm probably going to upgrade the receiver shortly.

2) I would like to add a rear surround speaker and the Kenwood can only handle 5.1.

3) I am stuck with Adelphia Digital Cable for now and the receiver views all premium channels as dolby digital and only outputs sound to 2 speakers. When I change the listen mode to Prologic II, every time I change the channel the receiver reverts back to two speaker output. I figure a higher end receiver won't have this problem.

Anyway, the point of this post is two-fold:

1) Should I upgrade the speakers or receiver first? I would rather hold off on buying all new speakers and just add a center surround speaker for now but if the sound quality won't improve even with a new receiver, I guess I would be forced to upgrade the speakers as well.

2) Which receiver? I am hoping to stay in the $500-$700 range. M room is only 13x13 and I probably won't notice the difference in sound quality between most receivers (please don't laugh). 90% of my listening is TV and DVD, not music. The things I care about are component video switching, great implementation of ProLgic II to create surround sound from two channel sources, and ease of setup. Video upconversion doesn't matter at this point since I am forced to use a s-video/composite video matrix router so I can view different sources simultaneously on the TV and projector; but I will probably use that feature in the future. (Basically, I will only use the receiver for audio and component switching. All s-video and composite cables are run through the router).

From reading this forum, the Yamaha RX-V1400 seems ideal with the YPAO. I should probably also consider the Denon 2802 and H/K 325. Any advice of the best receiver to fit my needs would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.