AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got an itch to upgrade some audio/video stuff. At the moment Im running a pioneer elite vsx-33tx. I am thinking about upgrading to a elite vsx-81txv but Im wonder if the dolby and dts processing are any better? I know I will have a little more power, but will this sound better at all? The receiver is from 2000, its 7 years old and still sounds great but I keep thinking after hearing my friends yamaha he just got I could get better SQ from my mirage setup. So, the sound Q is my biggest question here, followed by a few below.

The hdmi switching doesn't really appeal to me, i like just going direct from device to tv, and seting up a macro to turn on/off/select input as needed. I really only use my receiver when I watch movies.

The upconversion on the other hand does, but if I upgrade tvs to 1080p then ill get an upscaling dvd player for 100 bucks and call it a day. The only time I think the unconversion would be good would be for 480i straight tv shows that arent HD. Is it worth getting a receiver for hte extra $, prob not. I keep eying a few units -

Budget here - mid 600s

Elite vsx-81tvx (comes with ipod dock and has nice features)

Yamaha RX-V2600 (last years I think but im not spending the diff for the 2700)

Onkyo TXSR804 (never been a fan but thats not to say its not good)

Denon AVR2807 (probably bordering more than I want to spend)

I could even go with the vsx-80 but I loose the ipod integration (not that I need it) . Also doesnt have the Advanced MCACC, just standardUses a different sound processor. RS-232C, not sure if id use it or if its worth having.

SORRY FOR THE LONG post...just trying to get my head on straight. Any input? Anyone want to but a vsx-33tx hehe
JK.

THX for help in advance!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I agree, you probably have no use for deinterlacing and scaling in a receiver. To be honest, if your current amp has DTS and Dolby Digital and sounds fine to you, why upgrade at all?

Which Yamaha did your friend get? Is it possible his speakers are better than yours? Or his room sounds better? There are a lot of variables. Odds are $600 is not going to buy you substantially more power than you have.

One option to consider is to add an external amp to your setup. Some people are adding inexpensive pro amps. Some of these can do 200 watts/2 channels for under $300.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice, 200x2, do you mean just drive my main fronts, what about the surrounds?

I guess I wanted a new setup, but perhaps its not needed.....maybe ill put the money towards a 1080p tv and upscaling 1080p dvd player...hehe......just got the itch and i though if i could get better sound from my mirage setup i would.

thx!

sandor

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Sandor:

The thing I think you'll like and are missing is the Advanced MCACC. I have the 45TX and I love what this does for rooms. I recently installed a 2807 and the sound is no better than the Pioneer 1016.

Matter of fact I like the Pioneer's room eq better and I've installed 2 1016's. The only advantage I can see of the 2807 over the 1016 is the upconversion and if you don 't need that then don't waste your money. I've also installed a 54TX for a friend and I still am in Pioneer's camp overall. However, saying that, I understand they are having some issues with the HDMI right now on the elite models. The HDMI on the 1016 is a pass through

Good Luck

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the same 33TX in prestene condition, overall I may not get any benefit on performance by "upgrading", I will go for a DV-48 upscaling elite player, which is on its way... This 33 is in my opinion excellent product.

gychang

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have Pioneer Elite receiver (VSX 56txi). I love the receiver except I'm wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to a receiver with HDMI connections and the new audio codecs.

I'm not really expecting night and day differences but thinking it may sound a little better.

In case it matters, I'm using a PS3 as a blu-ray player. I'm also using Paradigm speakers for my set up. Oh, I have a 5.1 set up and due to space limitations, I doubt I'll ever have a 7.1 set up.

Finally, if you think it would be worth it to upgrade, what receiver would you recommend (max of $1500)?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the upscaling as much as I would about having the new codecs.

You will want HDMI because the price on stand alone players are coming down. Instaed of a cheap $100.00 dvd to upconvert you will beable to get a $200.00 Blue Ray that plays DVD and upconverts at Christmas or first of the year. Then when you get a new tv it will scale as good if not better than a receiver in this price range. Also a receiver with HDMI now will last through your upgrade process of everything else.

Allen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.