AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a 50" Pioneer 506 model. Now since the prices of plasmas have gone down, we measured his cabinet and the width is 61". So he can fit 58"-60" in there(63" if the continue to make the bezels thinner next year) So he want's bigger, and 3D(for the golf).

What do you think he can expect in terms of PQ and artifacts from the upgrade?The Pio is 1,280 x 768, and I don't think going up to 1080p will improve things much, unless anyone sits very close. I´ve checked out the the 7-8000 Samsungs and the 25 Panasonics. Pretty much the only improvement I can see is in dark scenes the blacks are obviously better, and the 3D looks nice. What surprised me I thought flicker was much more noticable on these sets than the Pio at home??? From short watching I didn't notice green phosphor trails on the new Panasonics, but I notice them easily at my friends who has an older Panasonic. The ONLY artifacts I can notice on the Pioneer set is image retention(most noticeable when watching snooker, the balls leave trails) and deinterlacing error(side scrolling text on Sky combs and is jerky). No phosphor trails at all, and no flicker(not even at 75hz(the other option is 100hz) Other than that I don't notice any artifacts(beside the high black levens in those sorta scences).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts