AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of shelling out another $250 on a new lamp, I thought to look at a new projector. From what i have read the under $1,000 projector to strongly consider is the HD131xw. Will i see a significant improvement switching to this projector?

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
I always hate this question, and I think others do as well.

"Will I see a significant improvement?"

Yes, you will - as long as you think the resolution jump, and jump in contrast, and switchover to DLP is an improvement.

Otherwise, no, you won't see a significant improvement.

I would expect that you will see an improvement. It may even be a good improvement. I would call it a 'solid' improvement. The HD131 is certainly brighter, as is the W1070 from BenQ. It has better contrast ratings, and is pretty close to the equivalent of what a $5,000+ projector would have cost when you were purchasing 7+ years ago. You also get the benefit of a brand new projector, with new warranty, and new lamp, so that alone has some real value to it.

But, Sony has always made pretty good projectors, and wasn't a 'bad' projector. So, while you will get a solid improvement, it may not be what you consider 'significant', or it may be even more improvement then you expected.

Still, I would possibly sell the old Sony if you can and go for the new 1080p model. Certainly it isn't a bad choice when the 131 is only $800.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. So I will buy either the HD131 or the W1070 from BenQ. In a nutshell what are the main pros and cons of each?

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiijacker  /t/1506529/upgrading-from-sony-vpl-hs60-because-lamp-is-almost-used-up#post_24097089

Thanks. So I will buy either the HD131 or the W1070 from BenQ. In a nutshell what are the main pros and cons of each?
From what I gather:

HD131:

Better black levels than W1070

Better shadow detail than W1070

Bright

Best price

CONS:

Issue with soft corner focus on some models reported

2x color wheel with clear segment (IMO, very bad to have a clear segment)

Not as good color out of box, and more difficult to calibrate

W1070

Better colors than HD131, especially out of the box

6x RGBRGB color wheel (win!)

More film-like overall image

CONS:

Some noise in shadow detail

Not great black levels

Other similarities/differences

The HD131 is at least $100 less than then BenQ which is nice.

The HD131 has fixed lens offset, which means that in a ceiling mounted situation the center of the lens of the HD131 must be 8" above the top of the screen, using a 100" screen, which can be very difficult for lower ceilings.

The W1070 has almost no offset and has a minimal amount of lens shift. This means that for the same 100" screen the W1070 can be about even with the top of the screen to several inches above the screen. This is a small but possible crucial feature.

The W1070 has a shorter throw distance than the HD131. Depending on your room/setup, this may affect things.

IMO, they are both good entry level models which perform well. The focus issue is one of the big nagging things IMO. I'm not sure I've heard of the BenQ being plagued with that issue. If the HD131 didn't have that issue, then I would possibly lean towards that model as it offers a better price and a very solid image with better black levels.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Having owned both the W1070 and 131Xe, AV_Integrated nailed it. If you are someone who does not want to spend the time calibrating the picture and adjusting settings, get the BenQ W1070. It has much more accurate colors out of the box, whereas the Optoma 131Xe does not and requires adjustments to get the colors to an acceptable level. If you need vertical lens shift, the BenQ is also a better choice.

The Optoma does have better black levels and shadow detail and I did find the projector to have more depth and pop in the picture. Also watch for pricing. Amazon has a $50 promo on the Optoma right now but they are out of stock (third parties are selling if on Amazon for considerably more than Amazon was selling it). I saved almost $170 vs the W1070 when I bought my 131Xe which is a nice savings and you can buy your 3D glasses and have enough for an extended warranty.

I really don't think you can go wrong. It will come down to which projector is better suited for your screen and throw distance, and if you prefer color accuracy over contrast.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see the BenQ now is $710 thru Amazon, which is even cheaper than the Optoma. Will i see an increase in contrast from my existing VPL-HS60?

·
Registered
11,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiijacker  /t/1506529/upgrading-from-sony-vpl-hs60-because-lamp-is-almost-used-up#post_24099611

I see the BenQ now is $710 thru Amazon, which is even cheaper than the Optoma. Will i see an increase in contrast from my existing VPL-HS60?

I would say yes. The BenQ is a DC3 DLP chip and the Sony is an older 3 LCD projector. But no way to know until you compare yourself, but I would be shocked it you did not see an upgrade in contrast vs your old projector.

I don't see how you can beat the W7010 for $710. The Optoma 131Xe has slightly better contrast than the BenQ, but both should be a nice upgrade over what you have now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. Last question. Here is my setup. I have really low ceilings. 7 foot 7. My projector is ceiling mounted about 1 foot from ceiling to center of lens. The distance from the projector to the screen is 15 feet. Lastly my screen is 8 feet wide and 62 inches tall (it is square, so i have wiggle room to raise the screen from the floor), and is 22 inches from the floor at the bottom when fully extended, and the top starts at 6 inches from ceiling.

I played with the BenQ calculator, but the settings dont take, as i change the distance it changes my screen size. So I cannot tell how much as i will have to keystone.

My usual issue is that if i don't tilt my projector upwards it shootsthe image down towards the floor. Some projectors with lens shift can help a little, but i think the lens shift on the Benq, works upside for me. Meaning in a ceiling mounted setup it can lower, but not raise the image.

So will either the Benq or the Optima work in my setup?

·
Registered
11,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiijacker  /t/1506529/upgrading-from-sony-vpl-hs60-because-lamp-is-almost-used-up#post_24099806

Ok. Last question. Here is my setup. I have really low ceilings. 7 foot 7. My projector is ceiling mounted about 1 foot from ceiling to center of lens. The distance from the projector to the screen is 15 feet. Lastly my screen is 8 feet wide and 62 inches tall (it is square, so i have wiggle room to raise the screen from the floor), and is 22 inches from the floor at the bottom when fully extended, and the top starts at 6 inches from ceiling.

I played with the BenQ calculator, but the settings dont take, as i change the distance it changes my screen size. So I cannot tell how much as i will have to keystone.

My usual issue is that if i don't tilt my projector upwards it shootsthe image down towards the floor. Some projectors with lens shift can help a little, but i think the lens shift on the Benq, works upside for me. Meaning in a ceiling mounted setup it can lower, but not raise the image.

So will either the Benq or the Optima work in my setup?

I am not understanding your screen size.. Are you sure it is 8' wide? For a 16:9 screen that is 62" tall your width should be over 9' using this calculator:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD131Xe-projection-calculator-pro.htm

I don't think a W1070 can throw an image that far (15'). I think the most you can throw is 13-14'. The Optoma 131Xe can throw 15' to a 125" diag screen no problem, but you may need to adjust the height of your screen.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my screen is 4:3, but i project a 16:9 onto it and raise the bottom to match the bottom of the projected image.

So it is 8 feet wide.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts