AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally re-doing my HT and want to upgrade from my X1. I've been very happy with the projector, but it is time to move on to HD.

I will mostly be watching movies at night and my kids will be gaming occassionally with a Wii and PS3.

I'd like to achieve at least the same screen size as the X1 (I'm throwing onto about 7 feet from 12 feet away) and make the most of Blue Ray viewing. I am not succeptible to RBE and, when I was originally looking at projectors 6 years ago, I didn't like the SDE from the Sanyo proj that was the competitor to the X1 (I think it was the PV1).

Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm looking into an Optoma HD65. They can be found for around $600-$700, and I've seen great reviews and screen shots from them. It doesn't have lens shift though, if that's a concern.

I'm thinking about waiting until after CEDIA though, maybe the price will come down just a little further.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/16997929

Your budget would help.

Probably $1K but willing to go to $2.5K if the projector really is materially different. I am not the most discerning consumer and have been very happy with the X1. I just want to be able to get to blue ray quality projection.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCrutch /forum/post/16998856

I'm looking into an Optoma HD65. They can be found for around $600-$700, and I've seen great reviews and screen shots from them. It doesn't have lens shift though, if that's a concern.

I'm thinking about waiting until after CEDIA though, maybe the price will come down just a little further.

From what I've read on this forum, there may be some higher-quality PJs moving down to the $1K price point after the show. I can probably hold out until the Fall.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
If you have to buy today get the Optoma HD20, the only 1080p projector under $1000. BUT all the new models are being accounced in September at the CEDIA show, so wait until then and you will have many new 1080p choices as well as big price drops on existing projectors.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/16999343

If you have to buy today get the Optoma HD20, the only 1080p projector under $1000. BUT all the new models are being accounced in September at the CEDIA show, so wait until then and you will have many new 1080p choices as well as big price drops on existing projectors.

The new Benq 1000 and Vivitek are both $999.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts