AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I'll notice a difference, worth $600, in upgrading my logitch z-5500s to a Harman Kardon AVR1600 coupled with the Harman Kardon HKTS 15's, or even the Klipsch HD theatre 300's. Need to know asap thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
you will notice a difference, but not the pronounced effect of moving up to larger bookshelf or tower speakers and a real powered subwoofer instead of another set of low end entry level small speakers.

What would be your budget for the speakers alone ? Can you use medium size bookshelf or tower speakers in your setup ? Room Size ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/19533002

you will notice a difference, but not the pronounced effect of moving up to larger bookshelf or tower speakers and a real powered subwoofer instead of another set of low end entry level small speakers.

What would be your budget for the speakers alone ? Can you use medium size bookshelf or tower speakers in your setup ? Room Size ?

I work at futureshop and there's a huge klipsch and energy deal on right now i get like 50-70% off everything. My budget is $600 for receiver and speakers. I'm getting the Harman Kardon AVR 1600 for $240 so that leaves about $300 for speakers. Will the AVR1600 be able to carry good bookshelves/towers?

·
Registered
125 Posts
My personal recommendation would be to get the receiver you want and get a decent subwoofer. I recently did the same thing (have the Z5500s as well) and the difference is amazing. I purchased the Onkyo HT-RC260 (608 basically) with a BIC powered sub and I can't believe how much I've been missing out on.

Granted, it's just a temporary thing until I figure out what speakers I want, but there was an immediate difference with a larger, more powerful subwoofer and the clarity that the Audessy EQ provided.

If you go this route you can save up more for much better speakers instead of buying another box set that most likely won't blow you away.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
The Harman AVR 1600 will certainly power the speakers recommended and the ones you mentioned. Another option with your $300 speaker budget is a 2.1 setup, or depending on the discount a 3.1 (that will be stretching a bit). Start out with better speakers and add to them as budget allows.

Of the two bundled speakers sets you mentioned, are they available in the shop to audition ? I would tend towards the H/K HKTS 15 bundle.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duppyman /forum/post/19533551

ok good so i'll stick with the AVR 1600. What I'm looking at now are something like these

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...29c644452een02

or maybe these

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...7245cced16en02

i can get them both for absurdly cheap right now. Which do you think are the better bang for buck? also, what any klipsch/energy 8-10" sub do?

Both are good options just make sure you listen to them carefully first. Each have a very different distinctive sound which should make your decision easier.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duppyman /forum/post/19535252

so i ended up getting Energy take classic 2's and i must say im not impressed the sound just lke the z5500s. Maybe I just need to get 2 Klipsch towers. Who knows D:

Were you honestly expecting a much better performance from them? They are satellite speakers, just like the Z5500s.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You should at least of taken the step up to true book shelf speakers like you listed above and kept away from sat speakers. Maybe the tower sound is what you are looking for and that is what you should get.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.