AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im at a crossroads. I want to upgrade my front speakers and the center speaker.
I have had my Bic America FT6T fronts and my center Bic America FHR-LCR for a year now. I have grown tired of them and they are just not cutting it anymore and I want to upgrade to better speakers
Im looking at the Klipsh RF-82 II
& The
BIC Amercia Acoustech Platinum Series PL-89
I will get the matching center channel to go with it and later down the road I will replace my rears with the matching speaker set as well. What do you guys think of ether of these two choices?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Twister, (belated welcome to AVS)

It's impossible for anyone but you to say which one is 'better'. Sound is subjective, so what I prefer, or anyone else, between those 2, doesn't mean you'll think so. The only set of ears that matter, is yours.

Full disclosure, I haven't heard either, but I can't say which would sound better to you, even if I had both in front of me... nor can anyone else.

Not what you were looking for, but anyone stating a preference, is only giving you their opinion. Buy both, and return the loser. Shipping expense aside, at least you'll know.

Joseph

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All depends on listening levels. What your listening too movies music games etc etc.

Out of personal experience my Martin Logan Esl sound amazingly real
You guys helped me build my system year before last, from picking out an amp and a subwoofer/speakers. If I hadn't had your guys opinions I would have ended up with an energy take classic 5.1 system and been pretty upset lol.
As Far as listening levels I want it loud and clear for movies and music. MY Bic front speaker has a kind of weird noise coming from the left horn when it is a higher note like the high vocals in some music, and some movies.
These Bics I have now are just not cutting it anymore. I want a speaker that will be loud, clean, and sound amazing.
Im looking at budget for the fronts under 500 each.
TBH I want the SVS Ultra Towers. However, my wife would kill me if I spent 1k on 1 speaker lol :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just found out my local best buy has a set of the klipschs in and Im going to sound test them. I really want to get the Klipsch RF-7 II but my wife would crap a brick if i spent 3k on 2 speakers lol.
What im looking for is a set of speakers that I can play loud that are clear and crisp by loud I mean louder then this

·
Registered
592 Posts
Can you tell us about your listening distances? Since you are wanting something that can get loud and clear then we should know how far you are sitting from the speakers. Folks making speaker suggestions without knowing your particular room setup are just making suggestions that have either worked for them in their room or what is the fad right now. We can better make recommendations by knowing the listening distance and how much power you are able to give them with either your receiver or seperate ampflier.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can you tell us about your listening distances? Since you are wanting something that can get loud and clear then we should know how far you are sitting from the speakers. Folks making speaker suggestions without knowing your particular room setup are just making suggestions that have either worked for them in their room or what is the fad right now. We can better make recommendations by knowing the listening distance and how much power you are able to give them with either your receiver or seperate ampflier.
I will be about 20 feet from the front speakers
The room its self is about 13 feet wide by 20 feet long. The front door is in the front corner and the bathroom door is next to it. Here is a crappy diagram.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Well then, 20 foot listening distances are something that is difficult to overcome with typical low sensitivity speakers, unless they have very high power handling and you have the power to give them. So the Klipsch RF7's being a high sensitivity speaker would be great, but you mentioned that the price range was too high. The RF82's are a great option as well. With whatever speakers you pick, using high sensitivity speakers is going to be a huge benefit, I wouldn't look at anything below about 95db so that you don' thave a hard time with headroom.
Are you wanting to own these speakers for the long haul? If so then why not try to find the klipsch RF7's used? Sometimes when we want something better, but settle for something slightly lesser based on price, we then end up eventually upgrading in the future anyways and spend more money in the long run. So if you want the RF7's maybe you should find some used ones so that you don't waste money upgrading to them eventually anyways.
With such long listening distances you will definitely benefit from a horn / waveguide tweeter that will give you better directivity at such long distances and will lessen the amount of high frequencies bouncing around the room compared to a typical tweeter.
Do you have much for seating that is way off axis? If not then a great option would be to just get 2 front speakers and run a phantom center. Then you could more easily afford the speakers you really want!
Do you have a subwoofer?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will not be putting 7.2 in my current place. However I will be moving within the next few months and one of the requirements of the new home is a huge area to place my setup. At least 25 feet by 15 feet with 10 foot ceilings.
I would also like to add my current home has 8 foot ceilings.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well then, 20 foot listening distances are something that is difficult to overcome with typical low sensitivity speakers, unless they have very high power handling and you have the power to give them. So the Klipsch RF7's being a high sensitivity speaker would be great, but you mentioned that the price range was too high. The RF82's are a great option as well. With whatever speakers you pick, using high sensitivity speakers is going to be a huge benefit, I wouldn't look at anything below about 95db so that you don' thave a hard time with headroom.
Are you wanting to own these speakers for the long haul? If so then why not try to find the klipsch RF7's used? Sometimes when we want something better, but settle for something slightly lesser based on price, we then end up eventually upgrading in the future anyways and spend more money in the long run. So if you want the RF7's maybe you should find some used ones so that you don't waste money upgrading to them eventually anyways.
With such long listening distances you will definitely benefit from a horn / waveguide tweeter that will give you better directivity at such long distances and will lessen the amount of high frequencies bouncing around the room compared to a typical tweeter.
Do you have much for seating that is way off axis? If not then a great option would be to just get 2 front speakers and run a phantom center. Then you could more easily afford the speakers you really want!
Do you have a subwoofer?
Yep I have an VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer. I want a speaker system that will get me through the next two years of college life. I really like the RF 82s I went and demo them at best buy. I want the next speakers to last me until I get my BA in CS. At that time when I get a good paying Job I want to get the paladin series. Those are my true dream speakers lol.
I would buy them used however I dont like buying used speakers. I can get the Klipsch RF-82s on amazon and get a 3 year add on warranty with them in case anything happens. Im also looking to add a second sub to my setup. Maybe a S3000I or a XS30SE:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts