AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HTPC is on 98. I'm considering upgrading to XP - there are a few things in XP that I could use. It's a 1ghz PIII with 256Meg of RAM, so it should be able to handle it. I wouldn't mind buying a whole new PC, but am hesitant. It's not the cost, it's the hassle. Just thinking about re-installing the 25,963 applications installed on it, and connecting the 425 peripherals I have hooked up to the HTPC gives me a headache.

So, can anyone tell me how much work it would be to upgrade? I've never done a 98-XP install. I assume that I can just install XP, and it will be done, and pretty much kinda sorta work right away.

My particular concern is with my sound cards - I have two M-Audio 24/96 cards, and a SBLive. I recall hearing that you need to jump through some hoops to get audiophile sound from XP, by disabling some kindof sampling upconversion it wants to do.

Any other issues, driver-wise or otherwise, that I may run into?

TIA!

- Dave

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ozy666
You will be so much happier in the long run if you do a reformat and clean install.

Trust me.

Ozy
Absolutely, go with a CLEAN install, especially when upgrading from Win9x...

_____

Axel

·
Registered
184 Posts
What I did in moving from Win98 to WinXP is that I saved the harddrive with Win98 and put in a new harddrive for installing WinXP as a clean OS. That way I could swap in the old drive for all the stuff I'm used to using if I have to go back to see how I used to have things under Win98. I also made sure that I had a backup image for the Win98 for archival purposes. There are those partition programs for having both Win98 and WinXP on the same harddrive, but I've had nothing but problems with those programs. Anyways, I found it easier to swap the harddrives. Then I got up to speed with WinXP while installing the software that I normally use and tweaking the system to work the way I'm used to. I took my time in doing the transition because we talking about years of stuff that I have installed under Win98. Also, you may want to move all of your data and videos to different harddrives. As well as the system drive with WinXP, I have a work drive for data, a video drive, and an extra drive for doing my divx converstions. (I have that extra drive for divx conversions because my experience in the past has been if anything goes wrong with converting large mpeg2 files to divx then the chances are the rest of the drive may get screwed up -- but those problems were with crashes under Win98 and so far no problems under WinXP but it's better to be safe than chancing a loss of a bunch of files as far as I'm concerned.) Anyways, you will be happy once you have completed your transition to WinXP with a much more stable system. Then assuming that you've made a backup archival copy of your previous Win98 system (if you want to keep an archival copy), you can format the old Win98 harddrive and install that drive in your PC as one of your extra harddrives to use.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I started with a clean install of Win98se with no drivers installed except for mobo. Did the XP home upgrade and moved on from there. Easy as pie & solid as a rock.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Delvo
What does "clean" installation mean? (The only OS change I've ever done was not between Windowses.)
Clean Install means that you do not over-install an existing OS, but start with a (re-)formated drive and then install the new OS. This makes sure that no unwanted "left overs" remain still on the drive that could mess up your system at a later stage.

_____

Axel

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't think I had any, and just came back to this post to bump it. For some reason, I wasn't email-notified on the replies. What's up with that?

Anyway, thanks. On to my comments on your comments:

1) Why do I ~need~ to do a clean install? If I have to do that, I might as well get a new PC. I could always use more CPU, and I'd like to upgrade to a Radeon from my GFII. The only reason I wanted to upgrade my existing machine was so I didn't have to reinstall all my apps. And, I have a lot of apps on there that I'm actually using. Off the top of my head, ..., no I won't bother to list, but it's about 20 apps that each take some time to install and tweak right. Quite a project if I had to start from scratch.

2) As to why I want to upgrade, the immediate compelling reason is so I can use Visual Studio.NET on it. I have a couple of programs that I've written for doing control on the PC, and I'm working with other people on some more, and more and more is going on with .NET. You can't use VS.NET on 98. Plus, the .NET framework seems a bit flakey on 98.

What else...

3) Can anyone comment on what needs to be done to tweak the audio drivers for "best performance" under XP? Any video tweaks that you need to do to improve video from what you get out of the box? Powerstrip?

Thanks again,

- Dave

·
Registered
353 Posts
I recently did the 98 to XP pro upgrade for the same reason- access to Visual Studio.

I followed their steps- which is basically to uninstall everything they reccomend (hardware and software), install XP, then go back and get the drivers you need. Only issue I had was where the install would hang- I tried to restart it, and got the same thing. Then I was slow on the draw, didn't catch the boot in time to switch it to the CD, and XP came up and finished its install on its own. Too smart for me!

I didn't do the clean install for the same reason as you. I did back up all my user files to another disk.

Oh yeah- for some reason it locked up my outlook inbox- couldn't access my old messages, something about a password change. I bought a crack program that gave me the password. No idea why that happened. Might want to dump to a text file just in case.

My pc wasn't HTPC, so I don't have any comments on that side.

Markd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.