AVS Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I am happy to report that I have the Elgado up and running. Thank you so very much for your help. I still have a few things that I need to tweak here and there such as setting up raid for my HDDs and fixing disk check scan that seems to happen every time I start the PC. Not sure why Windows wants to check the health of my HDD every time, and while it is comforting to know my discs are healthy, its a bit annoying. But I think the MS guys can support me with this.

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
I am happy to report that I have the Elgado up and running. Thank you so very much for your help. I still have a few things that I need to tweak here and there such as setting up raid for my HDDs and fixing disk check scan that seems to happen every time I start the PC. Not sure why Windows wants to check the health of my HDD every time, and while it is comforting to know my discs are healthy, its a bit annoying. But I think the MS guys can support me with this.
How are you shutting down your PC?

Windows shutdown menu? (Preferred)
Front-panel power button? (Should be pressed only very briefly, not pressed and held)
Power supply switch? (Only in an emergency)
Something else? (E.g. special keyboard button)

chkdsk usually needs to run only if files were in the middle of being written or created when the computer turned off or the disk lost power, resulting in a corrupted directory structure. A disk starting to fail can do it, too, as can some types of malware.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yes my system is relatively old, for a CPU at least. I built it about 6-7 years ago. AS Rock 77M motherboard. Generation 2/3 intel chip set. The SSD was/is Intel 160 SSD, I ended up not using the Inland SSD that I got from MicroCenter $25 for 560/580. As for the SATA ports, not sure they ones that come on the board. I hope this helps.
That's not all that old for a Windows PC. Not much has changed, apart from a new memory standard (DDR4 versus the older DDR3) and the addition of M.2 SSD slots.

As long as the parts are in good working order, this setup should be adequate.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
How are you shutting down your PC?

Windows shutdown menu? (Preferred)
Front-panel power button? (Should be pressed only very briefly, not pressed and held)
Power supply switch? (Only in an emergency)
Something else? (E.g. special keyboard button)

chkdsk usually needs to run only if files were in the middle of being written or created when the computer turned off or the disk lost power, resulting in a corrupted directory structure. A disk starting to fail can do it, too, as can some types of malware.
Not sure what the problem was, but I went into command prompt and the did a scan check/fix. They sytem found that some of the files were corrupted and fixed them. So I am all set.

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
Not sure what the problem was, but I went into command prompt and the did a scan check/fix. They sytem found that some of the files were corrupted and fixed them. So I am all set.
That’s very good to learn!

You might consider checking error logs, SMART status, and running some disk diagnostics, just to verify that the disks involved aren’t degrading.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts