AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Infinity Beta 50's I want to upgrade and have yet to find a good upgrade without trading in an arm and leg. I just tried a pair of Aperion Audio Verus Forte's and while they are great sonically, I need the extra power and umph to fill a 20x30x11 room with a 20 foot open wall on one side.


I probably can go with the Aperion Audio Verus Grand specifically, but I don't think I can pony up $900 a speaker with the new custom house being constructed. I had a demo of Paradigm Monitor 9 at the store, but I actually think the Aperions and Betas were a notch better.


I already have a Rhythmic F15V for the sub woofer. I really do not want the replacement speakers to be of equal size to the Beta 50's either, the Aperions really did look nice and the smaller size was a very welcomed change.


So, what else can I be looking at to fill out a 3.1 system under $2000 absolute max for the three L/R/C?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,645 Posts
I too have a pair of Beta-50's and I upgraded to Dynamic 4T's only because the Beta -c360 center wouldn't work for me, but the Dynamic 4C would. Naturally, you want your mains to match, so that meant I had to get new L/R's. I think with some minor crossover upgrades to the Beta-50, you'd have a speaker with performance nearly identical with the Revel F12 since they share a lot of the same parts/technology.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96redformula /forum/post/20868267


I have a set of Infinity Beta 50's I want to upgrade and have yet to find a good upgrade without trading in an arm and leg. I just tried a pair of Aperion Audio Verus Forte's and while they are great sonically, I need the extra power and umph to fill a 20x30x11 room with a 20 foot open wall on one side.


I probably can go with the Aperion Audio Verus Grand specifically, but I don't think I can pony up $900 a speaker with the new custom house being constructed. I had a demo of Paradigm Monitor 9 at the store, but I actually think the Aperions and Betas were a notch better.


I already have a Rhythmic F15V for the sub woofer. I really do not want the replacement speakers to be of equal size to the Beta 50's either, the Aperions really did look nice and the smaller size was a very welcomed change.


So, what else can I be looking at to fill out a 3.1 system under $2000 absolute max for the three L/R/C?

Infinity's CMMD diaphrams/drivers have superior distortion specs vs anything Aperion sells. Are you sure you are "upgrading"? I think you better listen before committing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 /forum/post/20868441


Infinity's CMMD diaphrams/drivers have superior distortion specs vs anything Aperion sells. Are you sure you are "upgrading"? I think you better listen before committing.

Well Beta 50 vs Aperion Forte, the Beta was better at least, I know that much. I gave Aperion a shot because of the 30-day in home trial, I can't say I have any place around here me that lets me compare speakers like many of you have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
Hi,


How about a set of Infinity Cascade 3V's for the L/C/R duties? They meet your needs of being smaller than floor-standers whilst still having that awesome "Infinity" sound quality that comes with having those Flat MRS CMMD Mid Bass Drivers & the superb & unique CMMD Tweeter. Also, the entire front end would be sonically matched & balanced as opposed to trying to make a centre speaker try to "Fit In" between to floor-standers that do not have a matching centre!


I have some that are silver, brand new & still in factory sealed boxes if you might be interested?


Bazzy!
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,748 Posts
As an Infinity owner - Interlude IL40s and IL36c center - and Cascade owners - I use a pair of the Cascade 5's for surrounds with the Interludes - and a pair of 3v's for the bedroom two channel I'd have to say you already have some very good speakers with those Beta 50s. They are like the Interlude series - they don't sound their best at high volumes. If you want to keep your center channel you might try a pair of Emotiva 8.3 towers . They timbre match with the CMMD tweeter (honest!) and sound very good - especially when turned up - they'd fill a large room very easily. They do need good power from a quality AVR or external amp to drive them. I have an Emotiva UPA-7. I owned a pair for almost a year and only sold them because at my listening levels they are no better than my IL40s. At high listening levels they kick ass. Very clean with excellent response across the spectrum. At that closeout price there is no 30 day return audition but I think you'd really like them. If I hadn't just sunk big dollars into restoring an old car (1971 Karmann Ghia) I'd think I'd jump on them again since a nephew has been bugging me to sell him the Interlude/Cascade setup. I'd have to snag a 6.3 for center since he wants the IL36c too.


Hmm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/20868438


I too have a pair of Beta-50's and I upgraded to Dynamic 4T's only because the Beta -c360 center wouldn't work for me, but the Dynamic 4C would. Naturally, you want your mains to match, so that meant I had to get new L/R's. I think with some minor crossover upgrades to the Beta-50, you'd have a speaker with performance nearly identical with the Revel F12 since they share a lot of the same parts/technology.

LooneyBomber, I would like to know what modifications you're talking about to improve the sonic capabilities of Beta 50. I have its little brother Beta 40s and would love to upgrade it if the mods is not too technical.

Any info will be appreciated.


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lad578 /forum/post/20869050


LooneyBomber, I would like to know what modifications you're talking about to improve the sonic capabilities of Beta 50. I have its little brother Beta 40s and would love to upgrade it if the mods is not too technical.

Any info will be appreciated.


Thanks

he's probably filling the box with polyfill and replacing the caps/inductors in the box to higher quality ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wywern209 /forum/post/20869143


he's probably filling the box with polyfill and replacing the caps/inductors in the box to higher quality ones.

Yup, that would be a stage 1 mod because it's easy to do. Add stuffing to taste and replace all series components (and all electrolytic caps) with higher quality units of the same value. Also, instead of polyfill, acoustic cotton works well too. http://www.soundaway.com/Acoustic_Co...anels_s/91.htm

Stage 0.9 would be to apply that same acoustic cotton around the room at 1st reflection points and elsewhere.


Stage 2 would require a crossover (XO) modification, meaning you'd want to get out your calibrated mic for taking measurements, popping those measurements into lspcad , and comparing the result with the stock XO plugged in. From there you can tweak the stock XO a bit, or just completely rebuild it to suit your tastes.


You could also experiment with using the Revel F12 XO in your beta-50 to see what sonic changes that brings...Crud, I just realized Lad578 was talking about a Beta-40. The F12 XO will not work for you then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/20870115


Yup, that would be a stage 1 mod because it's easy to do. Add stuffing to taste and replace all series components (and all electrolytic caps) with higher quality units of the same value. Also, instead of polyfill, acoustic cotton works well too. http://www.soundaway.com/Acoustic_Co...anels_s/91.htm

Stage 0.9 would be to apply that same acoustic cotton around the room at 1st reflection points and elsewhere.


Stage 2 would require a crossover (XO) modification, meaning you'd want to get out your calibrated mic for taking measurements, popping those measurements into lspcad , and comparing the result with the stock XO plugged in. From there you can tweak the stock XO a bit, or just completely rebuild it to suit your tastes.


You could also experiment with using the Revel F12 XO in your beta-50 to see what sonic changes that brings...Crud, I just realized Lad578 was talking about a Beta-40. The F12 XO will not work for you then.

Thanks for the info; i have been toying with the idea of upgrading just like the OP, but really don't want a marginal upgrade. And it looks like one has to spend close to around 2K/pair to get a decent upgrade for the Beta 40 or 50 series.


Looks like I am SOL on F12 XO, guess not a whole lot of hope for us Beta 40s owners
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96redformula /forum/post/20868267


I have a set of Infinity Beta 50's I want to upgrade and have yet to find a good upgrade without trading in an arm and leg. I just tried a pair of Aperion Audio Verus Forte's and while they are great sonically, I need the extra power and umph to fill a 20x30x11 room with a 20 foot open wall on one side.


I probably can go with the Aperion Audio Verus Grand specifically, but I don't think I can pony up $900 a speaker with the new custom house being constructed. I had a demo of Paradigm Monitor 9 at the store, but I actually think the Aperions and Betas were a notch better.


I already have a Rhythmic F15V for the sub woofer. I really do not want the replacement speakers to be of equal size to the Beta 50's either, the Aperions really did look nice and the smaller size was a very welcomed change.


So, what else can I be looking at to fill out a 3.1 system under $2000 absolute max for the three L/R/C?

OP, If you end up trying the Aperion VGT, I for one will be very interested in your impression compared to Beta 50. It is one of the speakers I have been thinking of trying. Good luck on your hunt and please update on what you finally settle on.


Thansk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lad578
Thanks for the info; i have been toying with the idea of upgrading just like the OP, but really don't want a marginal upgrade. And it looks like one has to spend close to around 2K/pair to get a decent upgrade for the Beta 40 or 50 series.


Looks like I am SOL on F12 XO, guess not a whole lot of hope for us Beta 40s owners
.
Yeah, the Beta series, because of their cheap street price, they're very hard to upgrade without, as you point out, spending a large amount more. The speakers I upgraded to cost 1360/pr shipped...for a kit! The center is half that price. I still had to cut the wood and build the enclosure.

*The right and center not pictured because they weren't built yet*



For the money, a full 5/7.0 beta setup (with the c360) is extremely tough to beat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,336 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
Hey guys, I know this is a 3 & 1/2 yr old thread, but what did you upgrade from the beta 50s? As Ive had my Beta 50s since new in 2007, along with the smaller Beta C250 till I scored the C360 on ebay in July of 2012 Finally ( when I hung my 65" plasma on the wall for the space for the C360)! Im still having a hard time replacing the 3 LCR's, especially considering I have 1200.00 invested...

Knowing itll probably cost much more to be Even Sounding, or Better! I honestly love the damn things still to this day, I just pray (so far so good) neither of my 2 sons (2yrs & 6yrs) dents a grill or damages one playing. As they still look & sound like they came fresh out of the box!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top