AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently, i have a p4 2.8ghz which can handle 720p but not 1080p

i got a radeon hd2600 to do hardware acceleration only to find out that most 1080p x264 rips cant be played with HA.



which brings me to now... cpu/mobo upgrade

i need: onboard video (doesnt have to have h264 HA)

also, i dont need/want audio out on hdmi b/c i have a projector. i have a 5.1 sound system, so anything more than that i dont need.


choices:

1) q6600+ASUS P5E-VM (the only g35 board i could find ???)

2) phenom 9500+gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H

3) wait for g45 board?


and, just checking, all of these options can handle 1080p x264 files right?


thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
What decoder are you using? I have similar problems with my system (AMD 64 X2 /w Nvidia 8500) until I downloaded the most recent PowerDVD 8. With the new decoder from Cyberlink, I can play most x264 rips w/o problems. With PowerDVD 7, I can't play a lot of clips.


I really suggest you to give the Latest Cyberlink software a try before you purchase more hardware. Q6600 is really an overkill for just playing x264.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive tried everything. i did try powerdvd 8. i also used the cyberlink avc/h264 decoder in zoomplayer, and i tried mpc-hc. with all of those, i was able to get hardware acceleration. but, HA doesnt work with 1080p x264 rips that were ripped with > 4 ref frames.


are you talking about using HA to play the files?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,324 Posts
I've got three systems running the AMD 780G mobo all three playback 1080p mkv's perfectly with no issues, supports HA with Media player classic home cinema.


And plays back perfectly in Vista media center with out HA as well.


- Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx /forum/post/14215507


I've got three systems running the AMD 780G mobo all three playback 1080p mkv's perfectly with no issues, supports HA with Media player classic home cinema.


And plays back perfectly in Vista media center with out HA as well.


- Josh

what cpu are you using? how high does the cpu usage get when you play 1080p x264 without HA? do you know about the >4 ref frame HA issue?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I have the same issue you are having - most of my rips were not encoded properly to support HA, so the video card i bought specifically for that purpose is mostly useless. I have an E6400 that causes stuttering on most of my 1080p files that have not been encoded to support HA.


Do you have any thoughts on going Q6600 versus E8400?


Obviously the Q6600 is better for encoding, but does it make a big different for decoding as well? I was about to pull the trigger on an E8400 as I was a bit worried about heat generation and figured it would be the better bet for playback (i dont do a ton of encoding, but may do more in the future). I am using a zalman HD135 case which is not great for heat dissipation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayas /forum/post/14215586


I have the same issue you are having - most of my rips were not encoded properly to support HA, so the video card i bought specifically for that purpose is mostly useless. I have an E6400 that causes stuttering on most of my 1080p files that have not been encoded to support HA.


Do you have any thoughts on going Q6600 versus E8400?


Obviously the Q6600 is better for encoding, but does it make a big different for decoding as well? I was about to pull the trigger on an E8400 as I was a bit worried about heat generation and figured it would be the better bet for playback (i dont do a ton of encoding, but may do more in the future). I am using a zalman HD135 case which is not great for heat dissipation.

yea im in the exact same position as you. im actually now returning the radeon hd2600xt that i bought... and had to pay return shipping and restocking fee
anyway, i was choosing between q6600 and the e8400, but when i read in the forums somewhere that in one 1080p scene the e8400 went to 80%, i decided to go with q6600. i mean, theyre the same price. the only thing is that the q6600 is hotter and draws more power.


i knew that for encoding quad core made a big difference, but i wasnt sure about decoding. then i ran across this:
http://www.intel.com/performance/des...tional_details


apparently quad core is almost double the performance of dual core for decoding too.


for the mobo, i figure if i dont need HA anyway, I can just get the g35. idk though, might be worth the wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftothe3 /forum/post/14215733


yea im in the exact same position as you. im actually now returning the radeon hd2600xt that i bought... and had to pay return shipping and restocking fee
anyway, i was choosing between q6600 and the e8400, but when i read in the forums somewhere that in one 1080p scene the e8400 went to 80%, i decided to go with q6600. i mean, theyre the same price. the only thing is that the q6600 is hotter and draws more power.


i knew that for encoding quad core made a big difference, but i wasnt sure about decoding. then i ran across this:
http://www.intel.com/performance/des...tional_details


apparently quad core is almost double the performance of dual core for decoding too.


for the mobo, i figure if i dont need HA anyway, I can just get the g35. idk though, might be worth the wait.

interesting - yea i guess my only reservation is on how hot the thing will run in this case. I can't fit any decent aftermarket cooler in the HD135 as they all sit up too high (the arctic freezer 7 pro, for example, sits up about 15mm too high). Quad seems preferable from those graphs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftothe3 /forum/post/14215547


what cpu are you using? how high does the cpu usage get when you play 1080p x264 without HA? do you know about the >4 ref frame HA issue?

two are using the 45watt 4850e cpu's the other is a 5600X2.


and no don't know about the >4 ref frame issue, actually never even heard about it still now.


- Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx /forum/post/14216487


two are using the 45watt 4850e cpu's the other is a 5600X2.


and no don't know about the >4 ref frame issue, actually never even heard about it still now.


- Josh

check your files with mediainfo ( http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en ) files that were encoded in 1080p x264 that have more than 4 ref frames wont work with HA. check your cpu usage while playing these files vs files that were encoded with 4 or less ref frames. it seems like dual core cpus would work, but i'll probably go with quad core since the prices are so similar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,324 Posts
just make sure if you get the AMD 780G mobo to not get the 125watt quad cores, they don't work with most 780G Mobo's.


- Josh
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top