AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am upgrading my old system which was a Kenwood VR2090 reciever, Klipsch KSW10 Sub with Quintets in the rear and Polk R30 in the front.

I just purchased a Denon AVR1910 to replace the VR2090. I noticed with the new Denon that I need a new setup.

My Brother-in-law also bought the Denon reciever and bought a Mirage Omni S10 sub and that Sub sounds much much better.

So any suggestion on a good sub at a decent price. My room size is 15.5 X 21.5 feet with Cathedral ceilings. I will be using this 90 percent of the time for Movies or TV. Other 10 percent music. My objective is to replace the Sub first, then the Polk fronts. Move the Polks to the rear and use the Quintets as the other 2 for surround effects for the 7.1.

If anybody has a better suggestion please let me know. Only stipulation is I don't have an open wallet. Would like to keep the SUb price below 500. Would like to keep the fronts below 800 per speaker unless there is just a great deal I cannot pass up. Again any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
872 Posts
That is a good budget and should open the door to many choices, Monitor Audio, PSB, Paradigm, Wharfedale, B&W, Energy RC-70, etc.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhulio /forum/post/18146781

That is a good budget and should open the door to many choices, Monitor Audio, PSB, Paradigm, Wharfedale, B&W, Energy RC-70, etc.

Just tried out the Paradigm Monitor 7,9, and 11. I actually like the 7 better but they drove all the speakers on different systems. The 7 were driven by the Denon and sounded nice. The 9 and 11 where drive by a Marantz. Didn't like the way they sounded on it.

Also tried the Energy RC-70. They didn't sound nearly as good as the Paradigm. But they were at another shop being driven by a Yahama Reciever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic /forum/post/18148040

This HSU sub is tough to beat on sale for $500.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html

The problem with this sub is stores don't sell it so how do I demo it? At least no stores around here.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeitaudi /forum/post/18148489

Just tried out the Paradigm Monitor 7,9, and 11. I actually like the 7 better but they drove all the speakers on different systems. The 7 were driven by the Denon and sounded nice.

Also tried the Energy RC-70. They didn't sound near as good as the Paradigm. But they were at another shop being driven by a Yahama Reciever.

The problem with this sub is stores don't sell it so how do I demo it? At least no stores around here.

Did you try the Paradigm Studio Series? The Studio series is much better than the Monitor IMO.. I'd go with even the Studio 20 rather than the monitor 11.. I really don't like the monitor series and I've read many post of others feeling the same in comparison to each other.

As far as subs go... Polk, Klipsch, Paradigm..etc.. all have subs that are lame compared to similar priced HSU, SVS Av123 MFW15. You can feel pretty safe buying any of these Intenet brands as Subs aren't nearly as subjective as loudspeakers... you just want it to go loud and low while remaining clean. I actually haven't heard anything from the listed store brands (Klipsch, Paradigm etc) under $800 that can hold a candle to the internet brands mentioned or DIY subs either.

I noticed this morning that AV123 has a 5.1 sale of their popular ELT series towers and the $600 MFW15 (15" killer sub) included for $999. I own their rocket 850s which sound similar to Paradigm Studio100s but I'm not sure how the ELTs sound.. but i've never read anything but good things about them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 /forum/post/18148613

Did you try the Paradigm Studio Series? The Studio series is much better than the Monitor IMO.. I'd go with even the Studio 20 rather than the monitor 11.. I really don't like the monitor series and I've read many post of others feeling the same in comparison to each other.

As far as subs go... Polk, Klipsch, Paradigm..etc.. all have subs that are lame compared to similar priced HSU, SVS Av123 MFW15. You can feel pretty safe buying any of these Intenet brands as Subs aren't nearly as subjective as loudspeakers... you just want it to go loud and low while remaining clean. I actually haven't heard anything from the listed store brands (Klipsch, Paradigm etc) under $800 that can hold a candle to the internet brands mentioned or DIY subs either.

I noticed this morning that AV123 has a 5.1 sale of their popular ELT series towers and the $600 MFW15 (15" killer sub) included for $999. I own their rocket 850s which sound similar to Paradigm Studio100s but I'm not sure how the ELTs sound.. but i've never read anything but good things about them.

Cdy2179,

Thanks for the reference on the AV123 site. Problem again is I can't hear those. I really don't want to spend the money on something I can't hear. I can understand somewhat about the Sub, but mains I want to hear before I buy. But that does look like a killer price if those are as good as you say.

Also 200 for shipping is kinda steep.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeitaudi /forum/post/18148686

Cdy2179,

Thanks for the reference on the AV123 site. Problem again is I can't hear those. I really don't want to spend the money on something I can't hear. I can understand somewhat about the Sub, but mains I want to hear before I buy. But that does look like a killer price if those are as good as you say.

That's a very smart move... it's hard to convince some people they should listen first as everyone has different taste. IMO the only reason to buy online unheard is if you know what characteristics you like(after owning and listening to tons of brands) and you're sure the speaker meets those characteristics and you don't mind having to pay to ship them back ...then it can be a great way to go.

As far as subs go the HSU mentioned above will do just fine although in a room your size I'd rather have a 15" driver... but if you don't go that route look at the specs ... in the $500 range you should have a bottom freq. in the teens, with a nice amp ~300w. For HT this is important.

For loudspeaker don't worry about or get caught up in specs.. you'll be crossing your speakers over to your sub so you're mains don't need to go much below 80hz... 70hz is fine....50hz (unless you like 2-channel music with no sub) is a waste and if it cost you more $$ it's a big waste. You're planning on spending a max of $800 a speaker so you can afford to really be picky... pay close attention to vocals and to the center (usually the wink link in many systems... yet they handle most of the vocals) and larger drivers will be more dynamic which is huge plus for movies... i'd stay away from bookshelves. FWIW I own some Paradigm Bookshelves in my living room but my towers in my movie room are leaps and bounds more dynamic and exciting to listen to. Have fun!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 /forum/post/18148825

That's a very smart move... it's hard to convince some people they should listen first as everyone has different taste. IMO the only reason to buy online unheard is if you know what characteristics you like(after owning and listening to tons of brands) and you're sure the speaker meets those characteristics and you don't mind having to pay to ship them back ...then it can be a great way to go.

As far as subs go the HSU mentioned above will do just fine although in a room your size I'd rather have a 15" driver... but if you don't go that route look at the specs ... in the $500 range you should have a bottom freq. in the teens, with a nice amp ~300w. For HT this is important.

For loudspeaker don't worry about or get caught up in specs.. you'll be crossing your speakers over to your sub so you're mains don't need to go much below 80hz... 70hz is fine....50hz (unless you like 2-channel music with no sub) is a waste and if it cost you more $$ it's a big waste. You're planning on spending a max of $800 a speaker so you can afford to really be picky... pay close attention to vocals and to the center (usually the wink link in many systems... yet they handle most of the vocals) and larger drivers will be more dynamic which is huge plus for movies... i'd stay away from bookshelves. FWIW I own some Paradigm Bookshelves in my living room but my towers in my movie room are leaps and bounds more dynamic and exciting to listen to. Have fun!

Thanks again. I am by no means an audiophile but I can tell what sounds good to me at least. Thanks for the advice which I will be sure to heed.
Guess I have to go back and listen to the Studio's now.

I would love to listen to some B&W speakers but they are hard to find around here. More searching for me.

Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.