AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the Polk Monitor 40s for L R and Polk Monitor CS1 as center. What would be the next step up bookshelfs for my HT, my room is small. I need them to be front ported and with 6 1/2 woofers.

I was considering:

1) Polk RTIA3 and a matching center

2) Monitor Audio BX2 and BX center

Anything else you would recommend as an upgrade? Should I forget about Polks
?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
How about the Hsu Research 3.0 setup for $599 shipped, it is 2 Horn Bookshelfs and 1 Horn Center.

Sorry they are rear ported, I missed the part where you said you need front ported.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Well don't discount horn tweeters. For instance Klipsch uses compression horn tweeters. BIC, Acoustech, and Hsu all use 1" aluminum dome tweeters set back in a square horn, so its a little bit more laid back than Klipsch... What size space are you talking about here?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtCocain  /t/1519936/upgrading-my-ht-lrc-whats-the-next-step-up#post_24411131

Yeah, not a fan of horn tweeters. And yes, front ported is a must for me due to my lack of real estate...

I'm pretty sure it's a dome tweeter with a wave guide, so it doesn't have the harshness sometimes associated with horn tweeters.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My room is pretty small 16.5 x 13 x 8.5 feet. I have a good sub as well - the SVS PB-1000. So... my only thing is cannot decide what is a step up from my Polk Monitors. And if the two options I listed in my first post would be an upgrade. In fact, if you have to choose between the Polk RTIA3 and Monitor Audio BX2 which ones would you choose as the better ones? They are both ported and with 6 1/2 woofers, high sensitivity, etc.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I guess when I asked for the size of the space. I meant what is the size of the cubby, bookcase, or shelf you are putting these speakers in??? I'm assuming that is why you were saying you need front ported or sealed speakers.

Also what is it you are trying to improve upon? What don't you like about the speakers you have now?

·
Registered
4,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtCocain  /t/1519936/upgrading-my-ht-lrc-whats-the-next-step-up#post_24410810

I need them to be front ported and with 6 1/2 woofers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtCocain  /t/1519936/upgrading-my-ht-lrc-whats-the-next-step-up#post_24411131

Yeah, not a fan of horn tweeters. And yes, front ported is a must for me due to my lack of real estate...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtCocain  /t/1519936/upgrading-my-ht-lrc-whats-the-next-step-up#post_24412219

In fact, if you have to choose between the Polk RTIA3 and Monitor Audio BX2 which ones would you choose as the better ones? They are both ported and with 6 1/2 woofers, high sensitivity, etc.

I'd not limit yourself to merely those two, nor would I limit a selection to front ported, 6.5" woofers, non horn design, certain brands be it Polk or Monitor Audio, ... if there's size restrictions of the overall cabinet, please share that, ... also if there's a budget, please share that.

There's a vast array of über high value offerings in this general area.

I'd examine pro monitors, like Mackie, JBL, KRK, ADAM, they'd very likely serve you well.

Check these out.

Also, it's likely you can hear them locally if you have a pro music store of some type.

Good luck

btw, many recommend Ascend Acoustics, although I've not experienced them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My shelf thingy is 42" deep and very long. I use it as a stand for my L R and the TV. The shelf is right up against the wall and that's why I think I am not getting the best out of rear ported speakers. It was a bit boomy, but i recently put the speakers on top of actual books and that somehow helped. I cannot say I o not like my setup, it is probably more the urge to upgrade and the fact that I may be missing on good sound as my current speakers do not have the room to breathe and their woofers are smaller. FOH, I am not sure I have the budget for pro monitors. No, i did not state a budget, but obviously I am not looking for super expensive speakers. So maybe.. if I say in the 500-600 range. I am also fine with buying used or factory refurbished. There is one local posting of used BX2 for like 330 bucks; Polk RtiA3 could be bought for 279 from the ebay store.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Ok well if your shelf is 42" deep how would rear ported be an issue??? For some speakers you only need a few inches for the port to breath. Now most speakers do sound best at least a foot away from all walls. So I have another question for you: are your speakers sitting flush or just protruding the front plane of this shelf. If they are not then that would be a huge issue. You do not want the speakers sitting in the middle or back of that shelf or you will get nasty reflections muddling up the sound. So if they are not flush to the front try that first, and that goes for any speaker in any location.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru  /t/1519936/upgrading-my-ht-lrc-whats-the-next-step-up#post_24415608

Ok well if your shelf is 42" deep how would rear ported be an issue??? For some speakers you only need a few inches for the port to breath. Now most speakers do sound best at least a foot away from all walls. So I have another question for you: are your speakers sitting flush or just protruding the front plane of this shelf. If they are not then that would be a huge issue. You do not want the speakers sitting in the middle or back of that shelf or you will get nasty reflections muddling up the sound. So if they are not flust to the front try that first, and that goes for any speaker in any location.

+1

You have plenty of room for placement for a rear ported sub, and they do need to be positioned up front on the shelf with that kind of depth.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Ok I must be missing something here.... You said the shelf is 42" deep, but the monitor 40s which are what like 12" deep look like they are like 6" away from wall??? But anyway with that amount of space behind you should be fine with rear ported, the left side with the little cubby may have more of an issue but i still think rear ported is ok. Cuz honestly if you like your speakers I wouldn't upgrade just to upgrade, especially since you are saying you want a 6.5" woofer, no horn tweeter, and must be either front ported or sealed, you are really limiting your choices. If you want to upgrade keep an open mind about any and all speakers.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, the shelf is 16.5" deeep, my bad. The Monitor 40s are 12".. The little cubby is indeed a limitation, but I have no space to put the receiver. Also, not sure if it is clear from the picture, but to the left of the cubby that is a wall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts