AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved my set-up to the basement and immediately noticed that it just doesn't sound as good as it did upstairs. My modest set-up is:

HDTV: Samsung 40" 1080p
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V663
DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD55 Blu-Ray &

Toshiba HD-A35 HD DVD
Fronts: Klipsch KG-4.5
Center: Klipsch RC-52
Surrounds: Klipsch RB-51
Sub: SVS PB10-NSD

It's a pretty straight-forward 5.1 system used primarily for movies with an occasional CD thrown in when I feel like listening to music. Since moving everything to the basement, I have noticed that the Klipsch front speakers sound more harsh with less clarity. I have tried several things to improve the sound (toe-in, straight forward, further from wall) without any success, so I made the decision to purchase new fronts and center speakers.

I play movies through the 5.1 system and only use the fronts for music(a personal preference). I have always liked floorstanding fronts so I'm leaning towards replacing them with the same. I have read lots of good things about Paradigm speakers and will be making a trip to the local AV showroom to give the Monitor 9's and Studio 60's (and matched centers) a listen. I'm trying to stay within a budget of $1,500-$1,600 so I'll probably be steered more to the Monitor's.

I always like to take my time and really get a good apples-to-apples comparison before I lay my money down. Anybody have any suggestions for me as to what other speaker lines I might want to check out beside's the Paradigm's? Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Give the b&w 600 line a try, 2 fronts like the 684 and a a center channel would fit the budget. While your there check out the CM series, a little step up but nice sounding for the price.

Jmlab Focal Chorus 714v and center would also fit your budget.

Both these are more musical then Paradigm, but Paradigm are good all rounders.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts