AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, everyone. First time caller, long time fan.

I've made the decision to upgrade my poorly neglected, abused, and awful sounding HT. My current set-up (of which nothing will remain, except possibly the sub) include Klipsch SF1s, SC1, SS1 bipoles, and a KSW12 12" ported sub. They're 20 years old and in rough shape. The only thing I may salvage is the sub. I have an old Sony AVR that will be upgraded as well. I think we have settled on the Denon X4700H to handle the power/processing. My goal is to modernize and future proof as much as possible. My TV will most likely be the LJ 77" CX. I've been doing a lot of research here and elsewhere on speakers and I've narrowed it down to a few but need some help in narrowing this down further.

Budget
$3000 including sub(s), and 2 Atmos in ceiling for 5.1.2

Listening interests
This will be 75/25 TV/Music. We both enjoy rocking out but don't really have a place to chill and listen as we currently hang out upstairs with no real audio system other than a handful of bluetooth speakers. I imagine we would make great use out of whatever we get for music. My main goal is for home theatre, but I would love these to sound good for music as well. As I mentioned, I had experience with Klipsch, and had I known what the would really really sound like, I would have chosen something else. This was 20 years ago, and I didn't know better. Turns out, I don't think I like the horn tweeter design much. And the SS1s probably will not play with Atmos well being bipole, or is it dipole? So we like it warmer than Klipsch (which I understand would be everyone), but still maintain fidelity at the higher frequencies. Bass is always good, but my concern is that it will get too boomy down there with the studs rattling away (see Room below). Crisp, precise bass then? I dunno, I'm not very good at this. I'd like to be able to work at my desk on the other side of the room and still be able to get some quality sound listening to music in the background, so something that will also fill the space with good sound. For movies, the wider the sweet spot the better, without getting crazy reflections off the lower ceiling.

Room
Basement - concrete foundation, ceramic tile over concrete. Drywall over metal studs over concrete foundation walls with open access to the wall behind the TV via an adjacent unfinished storage room. The viewing area is 16' x 12'. Actually more like 12' x 12' because of the door to that storage room to the right of my right front speaker. To the left of the viewing area the room opens up in an L shape with the other leg measuring 16 wide by 22 long. Ceiling is just a shade under 7 ft. Listening position will be on a sofa spanning pretty much the entire viewing width of 12'. Fronts to be about 12' apart with listening position on the couch 10' or so from each front speaker.

The figures below also include the cost of 2 in ceiling atmos speakers and a sub. Because not all brands have in-ceilings, I based my cost on what I saw as the average price for entry level or one step up = $300. The sub I am using to calculate the cost is a HSU VTF-2 MK5 at $569. First question i have before we get into these...

Do I go with bookshelf speakers or towers up front? We thought we wanted bookshelves initially, but I think we are gravitating more towards towers for the fuller sound/ability to listen to music outside of the immediate viewing area. If you all think I can do this with bookshelf speakers crossed over to a sub, then cool. Space is not a HUGE concern, but it still matters. It's a small space, that 15 x 11 viewing area. Room for the front wall set up and a 10ft. sofa across the room pulled out. How far it will be pulled out is still a discussion we are having. I think I can get away with 2 -3 ft.

Ignore the paint samples and tape marks. And I know I shouldn't have that sub up there with everything else. I'll fix that.

Bookshelf speakers considered
  • Elac DBR62 (4), DCR52 = $2747 (all costs include sub and atmos speakers as well) - Rave reviews all around.
  • RSL CG5 (4), CG25 or CG25s all around. = $2794/$2944. Dealing with them sounds great.
  • Chane L3 (4), L3c = $2918. Haven't read up on reviews for this, but based off what is being said about the A5's, this may be a worthy contender.
  • KEF Q350 = $2969. I think these coaxials would play well and create that wider sweet spot I want.
  • Aperion Verus III V5B (4), V6C = $3169. I haven't seen a lot of reviews on these, but, my god, I love the way they look.
  • Revel M16 (4), C25 = $3419. Seems to be a more popular choice elsewhere, but not here? I think I know why, though.
  • SVS Ultra = $3469. Consensus says they are overpriced? Perhaps Klipsh level bright?
Towers considered - I am not sure if I am done here, but two seem to stand out to me so far. The Emotivas and the Chanes. Seems to be a popular question, too.
  • HTD Level 3 = $2039. Value play, but the specs look really good. Nobody seems to have anything horrible to say, other than these may be geared more towards HT vs. music. I know I said 75/25 tv/music, but I do really think that music percentage will get higher if find something we enjoy listening to.
  • Emotiva T2+/C2+/B1+ = $2727. Can't really find anyone saying anything bad about these, either. These seem to get a lot of consideration. I think I saw one review that wasn't overly impressed, but given the price they still liked them a lot. That center channel kinda excites me for movies. I read an epic shootout of these with a bunch of others, including the Chanes below, and both stood out as amazing. These stood out to me more reading that, because they tested each against the wall and away, and these did great at the wall.
  • Chane A5.5/A2.4/A1.5 = $2487. Awesome reviews all around. Maybe even better than the Emotivas for clarity. I'm aware of the lead times, and can wait. Those same guys I mentioned above doing that shootout tested these at the wall with the port plugs and they were awesome as well, but performed even better like 10' from the wall. That's not happening, but I understand they want to get the most of these speakers in these tests.
  • Any others I should be looking at? Seems like everything else in a tower is a 2 way or 2.5 way. If I were to go that route wouldn't it make sense to just get bookshelf speakers?
Other questions
  • I assume I can use the same Klipsch sub and add another one? I'm hoping that having 2 subs will help minimize some boominess and keep the rattling down.
  • Will the Denon have any problems with the 4 ohm Emotivas with all other channels going?
  • The issue of room response worries me a bit. I'm thinking of getting some framed canvas prints and stick some material like the egg crate foam in the frame behind the canvas. Will that do anything other than waste my time and money or will it help at least a little? Any other material you would recommend for that? We're going to be replacing the rug, as well. I'll try and convince the wife to find something a little thicker but she likes low pile. Maybe something under that to help? I can't do much treatment to the ceiling, unfortunately.
Wow, this got long. Sorry about the epic first post. I'm sure I have other questions, but I can't seem to think of any right now. I truly appreciate any guidance or insight you all may be able to provide.

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
10ft listening distance, 75% HT, medium-large basement

I'd get towers only if you have a strong visual preference, although some of them cost about the same as some of the bookshelf speakers on your list and when you figure in the cost of stands, actualy a little cheaper.

You seem to have the Emotiva prices wrong---the T2+ are $1K for a PAIR not apiece, so the T2/C2/B1 combo would be $1630. If you don't need a pretty cabinet and value your EARS more than your EYES, these are the no-brainer imo...the only better bang for the buck are the Infinity Reference series when on sale once or twice a year at 70% off list prices.

That would be the clear winner imo ... it would leave you more money to get a pair of Hsu VTF-2 ($1250). Plus ample budget left over (if you were a volume freak and needed extra power) to get an external amp. I don't see ANY speakers on your list that would be clearly superior to them given your usage and listening distance, and some of them would imo be less capable performers.

Other comments:
  • ELAC and Andrew Jones always get raves from online reviewers but user feedback on them is not always so stellar. Beware the shill-reviewer guerrilla marketing game.
  • RSL is great by all accounts, just a little pricey compared to other internet direct companies.
  • Chane A series are proven performers, the L and 700 series are new so there isn't that much user feedback on them yet.
  • KEF Q series are what I'd get if I were going for KEF and doing 75% HT, and they do have higher WAF than average.
  • Aperion is generally overpriced esp. for an ID company, but yes they do have pretty cabinets.
  • SVS like RSL and Aperion offers free return shipping which is hard to resist. Note that SVS products sell for the exact same price at Best Buy and Amazon as on the SVS website; this should tell you everything you need to know about their profit margins. The Ultras are much better than the Primes, but even more overpriced. I'd take any of the JBL Studio series over them, which cost a fraction as much when on sale.
  • The speakers you may have overlooked, which would might end up greatly increasing your 25% music usage while having attractive cabinets: Ascend Sierra with RAAL tweeters (Sierra 2 or 2EX bookshelves, or Sierra Towers, and Horizon center speaker).
  • And the Wharfedale Evo series, which cost around 30-50% less than the Sierras but have even more attractive cabinets and a similar tweeter type, and offer a uniquely warm/forgivign yet clear, open sound --- the opposite of the stereotypical Klipsch harshness.
  • If you want optimal music performance from the subs, I'd get a pair of the Hsu ULS-15 instead of the VTF-2. The VTF being ported will have more brute-force output but the ULS being a sealed design will give you more musical finesse while being big and powerful enough to still do a decent job with HT as a pair.

In summary: best bang for the buck, Emotiva wins by a country mile and pretty much eliminates all the bookshelf options. Bang for the buck plus prettier cabinets, Wharfedale Evos. Somewhere in between, perhaps the Ascend Sierras

Bookshelf speakers considered
  • Elac DBR62 (4), DCR52 = $2747 (all costs include sub and atmos speakers as well) - Rave reviews all around.
  • RSL CG5 (4), CG25 or CG25s all around. = $2794/$2944. Dealing with them sounds great.
  • Chane L3 (4), L3c = $2918. Haven't read up on reviews for this, but based off what is being said about the A5's, this may be a worthy contender.
  • KEF Q350 = $2969. I think these coaxials would play well and create that wider sweet spot I want.
  • Aperion Verus III V5B (4), V6C = $3169. I haven't seen a lot of reviews on these, but, my god, I love the way they look.
  • Revel M16 (4), C25 = $3419. Seems to be a more popular choice elsewhere, but not here? I think I know why, though.
  • SVS Ultra = $3469. Consensus says they are overpriced? Perhaps Klipsh level bright?
Towers considered - I am not sure if I am done here, but two seem to stand out to me so far. The Emotivas and the Chanes. Seems to be a popular question, too.
  • HTD Level 3 = $2039. Value play, but the specs look really good. Nobody seems to have anything horrible to say, other than these may be geared more towards HT vs. music. I know I said 75/25 tv/music, but I do really think that music percentage will get higher if find something we enjoy listening to.
  • Emotiva T2+/C2+/B1+ = $2727. Can't really find anyone saying anything bad about these, either. These seem to get a lot of consideration. I think I saw one review that wasn't overly impressed, but given the price they still liked them a lot. That center channel kinda excites me for movies. I read an epic shootout of these with a bunch of others, including the Chanes below, and both stood out as amazing. These stood out to me more reading that, because they tested each against the wall and away, and these did great at the wall.
  • Chane A5.5/A2.4/A1.5 = $2487. Awesome reviews all around. Maybe even better than the Emotivas for clarity. I'm aware of the lead times, and can wait. Those same guys I mentioned above doing that shootout tested these at the wall with the port plugs and they were awesome as well, but performed even better like 10' from the wall. That's not happening, but I understand they want to get the most of these speakers in these tests.
  • Any others I should be looking at? Seems like everything else in a tower is a 2 way or 2.5 way. If I were to go that route wouldn't it make sense to just get bookshelf speakers?
Other questions
  • I assume I can use the same Klipsch sub and add another one? I'm hoping that having 2 subs will help minimize some boominess and keep the rattling down.
  • Will the Denon have any problems with the 4 ohm Emotivas with all other channels going?
  • The issue of room response worries me a bit. I'm thinking of getting some framed canvas prints and stick some material like the egg crate foam in the frame behind the canvas. Will that do anything other than waste my time and money or will it help at least a little? Any other material you would recommend for that? We're going to be replacing the rug, as well. I'll try and convince the wife to find something a little thicker but she likes low pile. Maybe something under that to help? I can't do much treatment to the ceiling, unfortunately.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
Reading your post, the Chane A Series came to mind. They have everything you need for 5 or 7 channel base level and the A4.5s for your .2. If you prefer to go in-ceiling for the Atmos, then look at the RSL C34E and mount them within 45 degrees of your seated ears. As to a sub(s), the HSU VTF3mk5 is the value leader in cost/performance.

If WAF is a huge concern, then the Chane L Series will be a lot prettier, but your out-of-pocket will be greater.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you go with the emotiva, prepare to wait on the c2+. They are perpetually out of stock. They came back in stock for a day and now they are out of stock again. Luckily, I checked every day and was able to order.

They have factory renewed sales which is 10% off their normal price, but sell out fairly quick. I think that is just their way of having a sale.

If you are military, they do give military discounts.

Hsu charges shipping, but gives discounts if you buy dual subs. They also don't charge sales tax I believe.

Svs charges sales tax in certain places, but they do give a military discount and free shipping.

I am also in the process of making a media room. Here is what I settled on:

T2+/c2+/b1+

Polk owm3 x2 for atmos

Dual hsu vtf-2.5

Onkyo tx-rz50

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also endorse the Ascends. Great sound (especially for music) and better looking than most. The towers are kinda pricey but worth it if you like high SPL's, otherwise the 2-EX still sound great.

Also, I've wanted to A/B a sealed vs ported sub. I've owned a sealed sub, but it died so I couldn't A/B against my Hsu. I will say the VTF-3 has not left me thinking my bass is sloppy or "slow" and it fills my listening space for movies.

You should be happy with most of your suggested list.

Reactions: Crizzle_332

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reading your post, the Chane A Series came to mind. They have everything you need for 5 or 7 channel base level and the A4.5s for your .2. If you prefer to go in-ceiling for the Atmos, then look at the RSL C34E and mount them within 45 degrees of your seated ears. As to a sub(s), the HSU VTF3mk5 is the value leader in cost/performance.

If WAF is a huge concern, then the Chane L Series will be a lot prettier, but your out-of-pocket will be greater.
Thanks, RayGuy. The lower than normal ceiling is making me lean towards in ceiling. I like those RSL in ceilings though.

If you go with the emotiva, prepare to wait on the c2+. They are perpetually out of stock. They came back in stock for a day and now they are out of stock again. Luckily, I checked every day and was able to order.
Good to know about the c2+ stock, thanks.

I am also in the process of making a media room. Here is what I settled on:

T2+/c2+/b1+

Polk owm3 x2 for atmos

Dual hsu vtf-2.5

Onkyo tx-rz50
Can you tell me a little bit about your room size? How do the Emotivas sound? Assuming becuase you went with the 2 subs, you have a relatively large space?

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Can you rotate your room and put the tv on the short side? Or at least move the seating up 3' or so. Having the seating up against a wall is never good.

Also, plan on replacing the Klipsch sub. It's really weak and probably the source of your boominess. A pair of HSU VTF2.5s would be a little over $1200 with shipping. A pair of SVS PB1000pros would be $1100 and would be a good choice to. Leaves you around $1800 for speakers if the cost of the AVR is not included in your $3K budget.

The emotiva speakers recommended would be a good choice as would Ascend Acoustics 340s or Klipsch RP if on sale.

Reactions: Spawn101

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10ft listening distance, 75% HT, medium-large basement

I'd get towers only if you have a strong visual preference, although some of them cost about the same as some of the bookshelf speakers on your list and when you figure in the cost of stands, actualy a little cheaper.

You seem to have the Emotiva prices wrong---the T2+ are $1K for a PAIR not apiece, so the T2/C2/B1 combo would be $1630. If you don't need a pretty cabinet and value your EARS more than your EYES, these are the no-brainer imo...the only better bang for the buck are the Infinity Reference series when on sale once or twice a year at 70% off list prices.

That would be the clear winner imo ... it would leave you more money to get a pair of Hsu VTF-2 ($1250). Plus ample budget left over (if you were a volume freak and needed extra power) to get an external amp. I don't see ANY speakers on your list that would be clearly superior to them given your usage and listening distance, and some of them would imo be less capable performers.

Other comments:
  • ELAC and Andrew Jones always get raves from online reviewers but user feedback on them is not always so stellar. Beware the shill-reviewer guerrilla marketing game.
  • RSL is great by all accounts, just a little pricey compared to other internet direct companies.
  • Chane A series are proven performers, the L and 700 series are new so there isn't that much user feedback on them yet.
  • KEF Q series are what I'd get if I were going for KEF and doing 75% HT, and they do have higher WAF than average.
  • Aperion is generally overpriced esp. for an ID company, but yes they do have pretty cabinets.
  • SVS like RSL and Aperion offers free return shipping which is hard to resist. Note that SVS products sell for the exact same price at Best Buy and Amazon as on the SVS website; this should tell you everything you need to know about their profit margins. The Ultras are much better than the Primes, but even more overpriced. I'd take any of the JBL Studio series over them, which cost a fraction as much when on sale.
  • The speakers you may have overlooked, which would might end up greatly increasing your 25% music usage while having attractive cabinets: Ascend Sierra with RAAL tweeters (Sierra 2 or 2EX bookshelves, or Sierra Towers, and Horizon center speaker).
  • And the Wharfedale Evo series, which cost around 30-50% less than the Sierras but have even more attractive cabinets and a similar tweeter type, and offer a uniquely warm/forgivign yet clear, open sound --- the opposite of the stereotypical Klipsch harshness.
  • If you want optimal music performance from the subs, I'd get a pair of the Hsu ULS-15 instead of the VTF-2. The VTF being ported will have more brute-force output but the ULS being a sealed design will give you more musical finesse while being big and powerful enough to still do a decent job with HT as a pair.

In summary: best bang for the buck, Emotiva wins by a country mile and pretty much eliminates all the bookshelf options. Bang for the buck plus prettier cabinets, Wharfedale Evos. Somewhere in between, perhaps the Ascend Sierras
Amazing feedback, Zorba. Is your family also from the old country? Must have been late when I totaled up the Emotivas. Good catch and really, thank you for actually checking. That puts them even closer to the two Chanes (he he) when factoring for subs and atmos. You confirmed my initial bias to bookshelf over towers. But will I miss anything by not going towers? I know both would be crossed over to the subs.

Based off what I have been reading, it seems like I was leaning more towards the Emotiva or Chane towers (as of last night anyway). Not a lot of, or maybe less, glowing feedback on the KEFs; Aperions, and SVS. I looked into Ascends when I first started checking things out and maybe briefly glanced at Wharefedale. Yep, I priced the Sierra-1s at around the $3k mark. Everyone seems to rave about their musical capabilities, but I put them lower on my list cause I couldn't find much out there from HT standpoint. Still up there with the Emos and Chaines?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks, RayGuy. The lower than normal ceiling is making me lean towards in ceiling. I like those RSL in ceilings though.

Good to know about the c2+ stock, thanks.

Can you tell me a little bit about your room size? How do the Emotivas sound? Assuming becuase you went with the 2 subs, you have a relatively large space?

I haven't bought everything yet, that is what I plan to buy. I have c2+, and placed an order for the polk owm3. They are $99 from pc richards for the white, but special order. The b1+ is out of stock and I was told they would be back in stock end of april. I am waiting to get the subs either memorial day or July 4th if hsu has a sale.

Also, getting dual svs-pb1000 would be $1149 +tax, let's say 7% so it would be 1229. They charge tax in multiple states.

Getting dual hsu vtf2.5 would be $1237 with shipping and they don't charge tax outside of california. So the price between the two is really close. Svs does give a 5% military discount if you are eligible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you rotate your room and put the tv on the short side? Or at least move the seating up 3' or so. Having the seating up against a wall is never good.

Also, plan on replacing the Klipsch sub. It's really weak and probably the source of your boominess. A pair of HSU VTF2.5s would be a little over $1200 with shipping. A pair of SVS PB1000pros would be $1100 and would be a good choice to. Leaves you around $1800 for speakers if the cost of the AVR is not included in your $3K budget.

The emotiva speakers recommended would be a good choice as would Ascend Acoustics 340s or Klipsch RP if on sale.
Can't rotate unfortunately. The couch will be pulled out 3 feet or so from the back wall. Thanks for the reccos on the subs. The $3K budget would be for the speakers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It also seems like the Ascends, while truly amazing, are a bit out of my price range. The Sierra-2s with matching center along with a entry level sub and atmos speakers puts me in the $3300 range. And that doesn't even include surrounds.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For the size of the room and being separate room for HT, I would strongly suggest on getting pro cinema speakers from the likes of JBL, JTR, QSC, PSA, KRIX with their high efficiency high powered speakers. And if they are out of budget, you should consider pro audio speakers. The traditional home hifi bookshelves and towers speakers won't be enough, they will not be go loud and stay clean.

Take a look at this thread.

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
Amazing feedback, Zorba. Is your family also from the old country? Must have been late when I totaled up the Emotivas. Good catch and really, thank you for actually checking. That puts them even closer to the two Chanes (he he) when factoring for subs and atmos. You confirmed my initial bias to bookshelf over towers. But will I miss anything by not going towers? I know both would be crossed over to the subs.

Based off what I have been reading, it seems like I was leaning more towards the Emotiva or Chane towers (as of last night anyway). Not a lot of, or maybe less, glowing feedback on the KEFs; Aperions, and SVS. I looked into Ascends when I first started checking things out and maybe briefly glanced at Wharefedale. Yep, I priced the Sierra-1s at around the $3k mark. Everyone seems to rave about their musical capabilities, but I put them lower on my list cause I couldn't find much out there from HT standpoint. Still up there with the Emos and Chaines?
I personally prefer the tonality of the Emotiva and Chanes' flat tweeters over the more traditional high quality dome tweeters of the Ascend SE and Sierra-1s. I'm not fond of strong treble, and find that those flat tweeters have a gentle/warm character while still providing all the clarity of domes but never get shrill or harsh even at high volumes, and the Emotiva tweeter especially excels at providing lots of satisfying detail even at moderate volumes.

The Sierra 2s and Sierra towers have RAAL tweeters which are supposedly a step up from the Emotivas' and Chanes' ... but having owned RAAL tweeter speakers before (Philharmonic BMRs) I would say it's a subtle difference.

If you want to get tower-like room-filling headroom out of bookshelves, you might want to consider dual woofer bookshelves, like the Chane A2.4, Ascend 340SE, or Hsu HC-1. At roughly $300 apiece, these are an even better deal than the Emotiva T2+.

However, Emotiva does make a smaller tower, the T1+ which is just $700/pr and the T0 which is just $400/pr. The T2+ would be better if you plan on doing a lot of 2 channel music listening at really high volumes with subs off, otherwise I doubt you'd notice any big difference going with one of the smaller towers with subs on and more normal volumes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ascend Sierras seem to be out of my price range, unless I step down to the Lunas. That's my dog's name. That a sign?

I did price out the 4.2/4.c/4.1 and came up with a new contender to consider! I like the idea of a warmer sound than the Klipsch. So far it's the Emo towers, the Chane towers, or the Wharf Evo bookshelf speakers. Possibly Luna's if we want to keep costs and performance similar.

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
Ascend Sierras seem to be out of my price range, unless I step down to the Lunas. That's my dog's name. That a sign?

I did price out the 4.2/4.c/4.1 and came up with a new contender to consider! I like the idea of a warmer sound than the Klipsch. So far it's the Emo towers, the Chane towers, or the Wharf Evo bookshelf speakers. Possibly Luna's if we want to keep costs and performance similar.
Well, the Lunas wouldn't stand a chance against any of those 3 because they are much smaller and less sensitive---with a single 4" woofer they are best suited for Atmos, surround or desktop duty.

The Evos are available from Crutchfield, which gives you a nice $10/pr flat rate return policy on bookshelves, $75/pr on towers. If you want to compare with the Emos and Chanes, you could simply order their bookshelf versions (B1+ and A1.5), keep the winner for use as surrounds and then order the rest of your set from the winner...much cheaper than shipping back 2 pairs of tower speakers.

One thing to note about Chane is that the only center speaker in the A series is a 2 way, whereas Emotiva has a choice of two different 3 way centers and Wharfedale does offer one 3 way center in the Evo line (though quite overpriced).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I personally prefer the tonality of the Emotiva and Chanes' flat tweeters over the more traditional high quality dome tweeters of the Ascend SE and Sierra-1s. I'm not fond of strong treble, and find that those flat tweeters have a gentle/warm character while still providing all the clarity of domes but never get shrill or harsh even at high volumes, and the Emotiva tweeter especially excels at providing lots of satisfying detail even at moderate volumes.

The Sierra 2s and Sierra towers have RAAL tweeters which are supposedly a step up from the Emotivas' and Chanes' ... but having owned RAAL tweeter speakers before (Philharmonic BMRs) I would say it's a subtle difference.

If you want to get tower-like room-filling headroom out of bookshelves, you might want to consider dual woofer bookshelves, like the Chane A2.4, Ascend 340SE, or Hsu HC-1. At roughly $300 apiece, these are an even better deal than the Emotiva T2+.

However, Emotiva does make a smaller tower, the T1+ which is just $700/pr and the T0 which is just $400/pr. The T2+ would be better if you plan on doing a lot of 2 channel music listening at really high volumes with subs off, otherwise I doubt you'd notice any big difference going with one of the smaller towers with subs on and more normal volumes.
Funny how I seem to be straying away from dome tweeters without even knowing that. I could step up to RAAL if I go with Lunas, but they look pretty meek compared to their bigger brothers or some of these other larger bookshelves from other brands. Given what I am looking for in these speakers, it seems like larger bookshelves or towers with a flat tweeter is the direction.

For the size of the room and being separate room for HT, I would strongly suggest on getting pro cinema speakers from the likes of JBL, JTR, QSC, PSA, KRIX with their high efficiency high powered speakers. And if they are out of budget, you should consider pro audio speakers. The traditional home hifi bookshelves and towers speakers won't be enough, they will not be go loud and stay clean.

Take a look at this thread.

These seem all out of my price range. You make it sound like I will not be satisfied with the volume of "traditional" home hifi speakers. I'm not looking for ear splitting levels here. Just want to be floored when on the couch watching a movie or have some music on and still be able to enjoy quality sound.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Evos are available from Crutchfield, which gives you a nice $10/pr flat rate return policy on bookshelves, $75/pr on towers. If you want to compare with the Emos and Chanes, you could simply order their bookshelf versions (B1+ and A1.5), keep the winner for use as surrounds and then order the rest of your set from the winner...much cheaper than shipping back 2 pairs of tower speakers.

One thing to note about Chane is that the only center speaker in the A series is a 2 way, whereas Emotiva has a choice of two different 3 way centers and Wharfedale does offer one 3 way center in the Evo line (though quite overpriced).
That's a great idea, thank you. I thought I saw something about Chane possibly coming out with a 3 way center, the A6.5? I noticed in one of your posts on the C2+ that you mentioned the 3 way design. That seem like a really good feature considering the heavy lifting the CC does in HT mode.

·
Registered
35 Posts
These seem all out of my price range. You make it sound like I will not be satisfied with the volume of "traditional" home hifi speakers. I'm not looking for ear splitting levels here. Just want to be floored when on the couch watching a movie or have some music on and still be able to enjoy quality sound.
While I would like to one day try pro style, high compression driver speakers, I'm confident you'll be satisfied with where you are already leaning. Unless of course you have a monstrous room and/or listen at ear splitting levels.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You need real subs for a nice system. Stick to subs from HSU, SVS, Rythmik, PSA, monolith, jtr, funk, outlaw, etc. Avoid subs from typical speaker companies.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts