AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at upgrading my LCR's. I currently have an older pair of Polk RT600i and a CS400i center. They are older, but have served me well, so I want to make sure I am making a real upgrade and not sideways move.

Here is the "fun" part. I can get 40-50% off most speakers that Best But/Magnolia carry (Not KEF for example). So that is a singgifact savings and I'm looking at only those options. The other limitation I have is the Fronts need to be under 40" due to my motorized projection screen. I do want to stick with towers for kid/stability reasons. Trying to stay around $1000 after 40-50% off from BB...so that should be around $2000 retail.

I have thought about going with SVS Prime Towers and an Ultra Center even before I have this savings opportunity. I just added SVS prime elevation speakers for Atmos...so there is that too. SVS has been my go to plan. But there is also the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 and maybe something else I am not thinking of that would be worth considering that would fit my constraints?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I can't speak to other options, but I changed out my old Polk RTi70 and CSi40 for the Prime Towers and Center at the end of last year. If you're looking for more high-end detail and punchier bass (which was always a weakness of the Polk towers IMHO), the Prime Towers are a solid upgrade. It's not even close. And honestly, the Prime Center blows away my much larger CSi40 for dialogue clarity and bass, so the Ultra Center would likely be a huge improvement for you. If I recall, your Polks were from when they were using the tri-laminate tweeters (whereas mine were the silk domes), so they shouldn't be incredibly dissimilar in character but will be much better for dynamics and detail. So, I would call that a real upgrade, not a sideways move at all.

And if you already have the Prime Elevations, I say stick with SVS all the way around. You'll see people say it isn't that big of a deal to have a fully matched setup, but... I gradually changed all of my speakers over to the SVS Primes (Satellite surrounds, Elevations on-ceiling) over the last few months, and the cohesion you get from sticking with voice-matched speakers is worth every penny.

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
I am looking at upgrading my LCR's. I currently have an older pair of Polk RT600i and a CS400i center. They are older, but have served me well, so I want to make sure I am making a real upgrade and not sideways move.

Here is the "fun" part. I can get 40-50% off most speakers that Best But/Magnolia carry (Not KEF for example). So that is a singgifact savings and I'm looking at only those options. The other limitation I have is the Fronts need to be under 40" due to my motorized projection screen. I do want to stick with towers for kid/stability reasons. Trying to stay around $1000 after 40-50% off from BB...so that should be around $2000 retail.

I have thought about going with SVS Prime Towers and an Ultra Center even before I have this savings opportunity. I just added SVS prime elevation speakers for Atmos...so there is that too. SVS has been my go to plan. But there is also the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 and maybe something else I am not thinking of that would be worth considering that would fit my constraints?
ELAC would be likely a side-grade. Your main upgrade if HT/TV is your main usage not 2 channel music, would be to replace the Polk center. So you might well find that either SVS center would do the trick and keep your RT600i if you're ok with the lack of VISUAL "matching." Not sure how much an upgrade the Prime towers would be over your current Polk towers.

What are you using as a sub? THAT is where I'd upgrade next after the center speaker, if you don't have a robust one.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi,

$1k~$2k budget, don't try to squeeze in stuff at BB or another brick & mortar, you're just paying into bigger margins for the sales. Look to I.D. companies with excellent speakers. Get a real upgrade.

Check out:

Get a lot more for your money above.
SVS is over-priced for what they are.

HSU Research for your subs.

Very best,

·
Registered
22,461 Posts
Klipsch RP series from Best Buy.

The dual 5.25" RP5000f towers are under 40 " and MSRP is $500 each. $630 msrp for the quad 4" three way RP404c which is the only RP center they offer that is not sold out.

The alternate would have been three dual 6.5" RP600c centers placed vertically as the tweeter is 80x80 degree dispersion but, sadly, those are sold out at Best Buy at $575 msrp each.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

I wouldn't limit yourself to BestBuy - you can get more speaker from a smaller ID comapny for probably around the same price as the deals you'd be getting from BB.

Reactions: oneeyeblind

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ELAC would be likely a side-grade. Your main upgrade if HT/TV is your main usage not 2 channel music, would be to replace the Polk center. So you might well find that either SVS center would do the trick and keep your RT600i if you're ok with the lack of VISUAL "matching." Not sure how much an upgrade the Prime towers would be over your current Polk towers.

What are you using as a sub? THAT is where I'd upgrade next after the center speaker, if you don't have a robust one.

I am running dual SVS PB10 subs, so covered there. I'm not sure if there is some confusion but the center is the CS400i and the CSi40. Yes I would want the LCR to match and the SVS prime towers would fit the spacing I need.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't limit yourself to BestBuy - you can get more speaker from a smaller ID comapny for probably around the same price as the deals you'd be getting from BB.

I would normally never limit myself to BB. But 50% off what I can get there means I can do an LCR upgrade for under $1K. I can't actually spend $2K retail now after I just upgraded my AVR And added Atmos speakers.

I'm not going to force it if it isnt an upgrade over what I have. But I also have the limiting factor of L/R height which most speakers go over.

If the SVS Prime Tower and Ultra center would be an upgrade over what I have, I can get that for $900 and sell my Polks and Old AVR making the net cost under $600......thats a hard to pass up upgrade.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess what I don't have good information on is how good/bad my current Polks are. Some say they're decent others say sub par. I've used theses since 2002, so I am so used to them it's hard for me to have an objective opinion. If I had to, I'd say pinpoint imaging and off axis response are weak points. The drivers and the way the tweeter is sort of popped into the plastic front bezel is less than stellar construction IMO.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I would normally never limit myself to BB. But 50% off what I can get there means I can do an LCR upgrade for under $1K. I can't actually spend $2K retail now after I just upgraded my AVR And added Atmos speakers.

I'm not going to force it if it isnt an upgrade over what I have. But I also have the limiting factor of L/R height which most speakers go over.

If the SVS Prime Tower and Ultra center would be an upgrade over what I have, I can get that for $900 and sell my Polks and Old AVR making the net cost under $600......thats a hard to pass up upgrade.
You could easily get LCR speakers for $1k and under from an ID company, and get much more speaker per dollar spent that way.

For example, Emotiva T1+ and the C1+ will run you just under $1k shipped (the B1+ and C1+ would run you $480 shipped). HSU HB-1 + HC-1 will run you $549, Chane A1.5 + A2.4 will run you $620.

·
Registered
22,461 Posts
I guess what I don't have good information on is how good/bad my current Polks are. Some say they're decent others say sub par. I've used theses since 2002, so I am so used to them it's hard for me to have an objective opinion. If I had to, I'd say pinpoint imaging and off axis response are weak points. The drivers and the way the tweeter is sort of popped into the plastic front bezel is less than stellar construction IMO.
Well, as long as you can return them for free by all means do so; if those don't work I'd definitely look at the Klipsch RP as a backup.

Your Polks are the same as my sister in laws and they only sounded bad when they were EQ'd incorrectly at her house as they were set to "large": with 40hz crossovers with Dynamic EQ on the Denon receiver.

Changing that to "small" with an 80hz crossover with Dynamic EQ off made a huge difference so your speakers aren't "bad" as some on here who have never heard them would lead you to believe.

I also don't buy the idea that the forum Internet Direct companies are always "better" even at half msrp for SVS or Klipsch RP.

That is complete nonsense in my view.

Don't bother with that unless you are disappointed with (I assume) are free returns at your local Best Buy at half msrp.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth even though the peanut gallery is telling you to do so.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
You could easily get LCR speakers for $1k and under from an ID company, and get much more speaker per dollar spent that way.

For example, Emotiva T1+ and the C1+ will run you just under $1k shipped (the B1+ and C1+ would run you $480 shipped). HSU HB-1 + HC-1 will run you $549, Chane A1.5 + A2.4 will run you $620.
Not always true. Like all budget/low cost speakers the Emotivas have their issues. I wouldn't put them any better than the SVS Prime speakers at half of retail. The Prime towers measure as good or better than the emotivas and aren't ugly.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Not always true. Like all budget/low cost speakers the Emotivas have their issues. I wouldn't put them any better than the SVS Prime speakers at half of retail. The Prime towers measure as good or better than the emotivas and aren't ugly.
Sure, not always true, but I cited 3 different companies that offer very good speakers for less than the OP's $1k budget.

Edit: there's also those JBLs and Infinitys that have been recommended a lot lately.

·
Registered
689 Posts
SVS Primes have been reported to be bright speakers, so you may want to listen to them first. If you wanna splurge a little, then maybe consider the Ultras. My understanding is that the Ultras do not have the brightness issues. If you reconsidered going bookshelves instead of towers, you could get the Ultras as well as stands and still stay in budget.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
My Polks were slightly newer than yours (but not by much) and used the same blue woofers that Polk had for those two model years. They're not BAD speakers, especially for their time. But I would agree with you that their off-axis response leaves a lot to be desired. I actually avoided getting your model speakers because I just really didn't like the harshness of the tri-lam tweeters at volume, which is how I ended up with the RTi line that had the silk domes. So when I went with the Prime Towers and Center, I was a little concerned that I would have the same harshness that I've heard in other metallic tweeters. I didn't at all, even though they did seem brighter in timbre. The best way I can describe the difference I heard was that the Polks tend to sound like the audio is anchored to the speaker - both in cross-channel imaging and in general. It just sounds like the speaker is what's making the sound in your room. The SVS speakers, however, tended to image beyond and slightly above the physical location of the speaker, with cross-channel placement of sounds being more precise. And honestly, that was something that took some getting used to, as I had been running my old Polks for around 18 or so years (in varying combinations and rooms).

I think that your response to them will be much like mine was. You will immediately hear things that you like in how the Prime Towers and Ultra Center sound. But you'll also be a little thrown off because of how used to that Polk sound you are. I also think you'll find that you'll have the volume up a little higher than you might have been used to with the Polks, even after level-matching. The best way I can describe this is that the Polks tend to sound like they're shouting at you compared to the SVS, which sound more like they're singing to you. I know that's an odd way to put it, but that was what I experienced. As for the center channel, I think the move to a 3-way center over Polk's config will definitely be a step up for you, whether it ultimately be with SVS or some other brand. It wasn't something I thought was a big weakness when I had my Polks, but once you hear the difference, it's hard to go back.

I'm not gonna' sit here and say there aren't other great options available, as some here have offered. But I think given the constraints you've outlined, you should pick up the Prime Towers and Ultra Center and live with them for a few weeks. Or even the Ultra Bookshelves and Center. It may well be that the difference in how they sound is too great for you, because they are strikingly different in character than what you're used to (though the Elevations you already have should give you an idea of what you're in for on the high end). But I do think the SVS speakers are an improvement in the areas you seem to find weak with the Polks. I liked them enough to sell all 13 of the Polk speakers I had on hand and change to an all-SVS 7.1.4 setup.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Sounds like you already made your choice. If you can get the SVS Prime Towers and Ultra Center for $900 USD, then do it. That's a great price for all that. Agreed that it's hard to pass up that set for $900 and if you want them all to match, that's a good way to do it. Just pay attention to finish; piano vs ash.

Very best,

·
Registered
19,705 Posts
I am looking at upgrading my LCR's. I currently have an older pair of Polk RT600i and a CS400i center.

Trying to stay around $1000 after 40-50% off from BB...so that should be around $2000 retail.

But there is also the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 and maybe something else I am not thinking of that would be worth considering that would fit my constraints?
I would look at the Elac Uni-Fi and Klipsch RP series and SVS ... I have owned a few Polk speakers, and you can do better ... if you do not find the sound that you want after testing some options through Best Buy, then start looking on the outside

·
Registered
19,705 Posts
Pretty much true ... changing up can be an ear opener

1 - 20 of 196 Posts