AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The SVS Ultra center looks nice. Does your setup work with a rear port?
Truthfully given this is going into a semi open entertainment shelf no center is going to be ideal.
As you can see the cs400i fits but the tweeter is very close to the top shelf front bar. No way around it and I’ve run it this way for over a decade. It sounds find and room we helps. I’ve got to be very careful with my measurements for any new center. The speaker itself can be 9 inches tall but the tweeter needs to be around 7” at the very top of the dome for the driver to not be blocked. not ideal I know. No point going down that road.

I’ll look at some of the other recommendations. I also need to verify those towers are around 38”.

it’s kind of a 2 factor question. Is$1k at a different direct dealer better than $2k discounted ti $1k with what I can get at Bb. Yes that’s oversimplified I know. And the are any $1k options that will fit truly an upgrade over what I have.

I have ruled out klipsch just not my preference

202A6912-D724-4A50-BF92-60BB173F8BC9.jpeg
708AC073-CDE4-49B8-9542-31F5EEF2EE0B.jpeg

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Reactions: oneeyeblind

·
Registered
22,461 Posts
it’s kind of a 2 factor question. Is$1k at a different direct dealer better than $2k discounted ti $1k with what I can get at Bb. Yes that’s oversimplified I know. And the are any $1k options that will fit truly an upgrade over what I have.

I have ruled out klipsch just not my preference
Sadly, Best Buy's selection has gone way way downhill so at your budget point for towers only the SVS or Klipsch RP made sense.

They carry a handful of JBL but sadly not the Stage series which could have been an option.

The Klipsch RP is the first "affordable" Klipsch with a lot if happy AVS owners unlike the cheaper/harsher R series, but if they are ruled out so be it.

Definitely try the SVS before moving on though, assuming, of course, free returns.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
They carry Wharfedale, so maybe check out the Evo series ... also saw Dali Oberon, which might be worth a listen.

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
I am running dual SVS PB10 subs, so covered there. I'm not sure if there is some confusion but the center is the CS400i and the CSi40. Yes I would want the LCR to match and the SVS prime towers would fit the spacing I need.
As others have stated, if you're able to get the Prime towers plus Ultra center for just $900 then I think you'll be all set...at worst you could just take it all back to BB within 15 days and get your money back.

I asked about the center because Polk is generally not known for making great center speakers, and the center speaker is the REAL backbone of any HT setup since it does up to 80% of the output. The only really good and 3 way center that Polk offers is their LSi706C, which Amazon carries for $550. If you're happy with your CSi40 towers, just swapping out the CS400i for the 706C might be all the upgrading you actually need, and Amazon also allows for easy returns.

My Philosophy of Cheapskatism is, always try to spend less first, before spending more. :)

Reactions: Jeremy Anderson

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
As others have stated, if you're able to get the Prime towers plus Ultra center for just $900 then I think you'll be all set...at worst you could just take it all back to BB within 15 days and get your money back.

I asked about the center because Polk is generally not known for making great center speakers, and the center speaker is the REAL backbone of any HT setup since it does up to 80% of the output. The only really good and 3 way center that Polk offers is their LSi706C, which Amazon carries for $550. If you're happy with your CSi40 towers, just swapping out the CS400i for the 706C might be all the upgrading you actually need, and Amazon also allows for easy returns.

My Philosophy of Cheapskatism is, always try to spend less first, before spending more. :)
just for clarification the towers are rt600i. The cs400i is the center and at the time it was very well reviewed. My recollection of the lsi series is it has a ring tweeter and would not be a good sonic match.

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
just for clarification the towers are rt600i. The cs400i is the center and at the time it was very well reviewed. My recollection of the lsi series is it has a ring tweeter and would not be a good sonic match.
It's a standard 2 way MTM center, which tends to have poor off-axis response compared to a 3 way center. The tweeter difference will be undetectable during actual HT usage.

"Matching" the center to the L/R is nothing more than another industry sales gimmick when it comes to horizontal center vs vertical L/R speakers.

Just part of the bottomless pit of "audiophile" superstition in this hobby that all started as sales gimmicks and quickly congealed into popularly regurgitated dogma, from exotic cables/interconnects to power conditioners to "matching" amplifiers to speakers, etc.

Think about it: if you were Polk, wouldn't you want consumers to "upgrade" all 5 speakers instead of just the one mediocre center? So of course, Polk reserves their only 3 way center for their wildly overpriced top-shelf model line, the LSi series which has now been replaced by the "Legend" series with a $1700 3-way center, ROTFL. Pretty much EVERY speaker company plays this game, with Emotiva being the only exception I have ever seen.

The ONLY way to get a REAL "match" is to have 3 identical speakers up front, either all vertical or all horizontal. It would look like this:

The necessity for such a "match" is itself highly debatable when it comes to general HT usage---if you are doing multichannel MUSIC or multichannel GAMING then yes it does matter and would be worth getting identical speakers in all bed layer positions. For HT, the only indisputable benefit of same brand/model-line horizontal center speaker as vertical fronts is VISUAL uniformity.

Reactions: JamHandMan

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
You don't need to take my word for it. Here's an ongoing compilation of folks who've defied that popular superstition and are very happy with the results, starting with post #19 of this thread:

There are many more threads like that:

Hsu HC-1 with NHT SuperOnes

Infinity RC263 with JBL 590s

Infinity RC263 with Emotiva T1, vs C2

Emotiva C2 with Klipsch RP-600M, JBL Studio 530, etc.

Klipsch RC-62ii with JBL 590:

Klipsch RP-450C with JBL 590

Emotiva C2 with Revel F35, and with JBL 530:

Polk 706C with Legacy Signature II:

SVS Ultra center with Polk LSi-9

Emotiva C2 with Mission 770

Emotiva C2 with JBL Studio 590
and

KEF Q650 with Polk RTiA3

Emotiva C1+ with Wharfedale Diamond 225

Paradigm center with B&W in-wall speakers

Hecor Aurora with Revel F208

HTD Level 3 with Def Tech BP30

Monoprice 365C with PSB Stratus:

Chane 752 with JBL Studio 590:

Canton Chrono 505 with Polk LSiM-703:

Emotiva C2+ with Klipsch RP-600M:

Infinity RC263 with JBL Studio 580s:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If your getting a huge discount so they have pinnacle towers or ultra? Check out other brands of towers also , wharfadale etc Klipch rp

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I might need to reconsider. The ultra center is looking like it will place the tweeter very close to the support bar of my av shelf. The Polk cs400i is only about 1/4” lower but it’s still lower.

from up close
2969BDBD-BDCC-423A-B5BE-AE241DB54EFF.jpeg

from seated position

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The ascend 340 series gets a lot of love. Problem is the stands made for the fronts would put them at around 45”. I’d need to find something stable that would keep them around 38”.

I have’t done much research on Emotiva but their prices are in line with budget as well.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Step 1: mount the TV on the wall or use a VESA riser.
Step 2: put your new centre on top of the TV stand.
Step 3: enjoy MUCH better sound.

Reactions: Ryan Statz

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
I might need to reconsider. The ultra center is looking like it will place the tweeter very close to the support bar of my av shelf.
That's not a problem if you can pull the center forward of the cabinet, which you should always do anyway---sticking out around 1-3" in front of the cabinet's front edge. It will sound better that way.

Reactions: Ryan Statz

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
That's not a problem if you can pull the center forward of the cabinet, which you should always do anyway---sticking out around 1-3" in front of the cabinet's front edge. It will sound better that way.

Yeah that is the problem, the Ultra (as is my CS400i) are taller than that bar. They fit because I can take the tv and the top glass off, place the speaker, and then put the top glass and tv back. But neither the polk nor the ultra can move forward. beyond that bar....just right up to it.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Step 1: mount the TV on the wall or use a VESA riser.
Step 2: put your new centre on top of the TV stand.
Step 3: enjoy MUCH better sound.

I've considered this and yes ideally that is the best option. I just dont know how I feel about the TV being about 10" higher.

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
I've considered this and yes ideally that is the best option. I just dont know how I feel about the TV being about 10" higher.
I think you'll get used to it pretty quickly. My projector screen's centerpoint is 18-24" above my eyeline (depending on my sitting posture) and I've never had any problems versus same level as eyeline back when I had a TV. The aural pay off you get when the center speaker's tweeter is closer to ear level, is huge though.

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
I think you'll get used to it pretty quickly. My projector screen's centerpoint is 18-24" above my eyeline (depending on my sitting posture) and I've never had any problems versus same level as eyeline back when I had a TV. The aural pay off you get when the center speaker's tweeter is closer to ear level, is huge though.
Its something to consider. I'm not 100% sure I can make it work. The Shelf/Stand I use now is 19.5" deep. I'd need to find something where the base and the center can fit that depth.

Other options are the Ascends, but I'd need to find a 16-18" stand for the mains because their base would be too tall. Or just see how it goes with the Ultra center. I have lived with my CS400i as is for about 14 years now...lol. I've been fine with it and the only issue its given me is with the older version of Audyssey XT boosting the highs to the point of being shrill, but I was able to work that out and the XT32 on the Denon 4700 I just installed does not do that.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am wondering just how good the PSA mtm 210s sound. If they are as good as I think then that is what I want to try for LCR to match my new tv2112 if I ever upgrade my LCR speakers. Currently RBH Sound so they are pretty good.

I recently purchased 8 htm 200se surrounds from Dave at Ascend Acoustics, he is great and you can't beat talking to the guy that built your speakers if you have a question or problem. Much like Tom at PSA.

Not a huge fan of BB .... the restocking fee is tough but you do what you gotta do. I bought my PJ from them only because I knew I woul love the 3800 and I STILL had an hdmi switching issue and had to have it replaced. Was lucky I figured it out within the 30 day return period.

Good luck!

Btw, I also have a Denon 4700 and I highly recommend using the Audyssey app(20 bucks) and create a 300-500Hz curtain. Doing this opened up my speakers and made them come alive. Don't let Audyssey do anything to the highs with good speakers. The app is SO much better than the avr version.

Good luck.

21 - 40 of 197 Posts