AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, first I'll explain my current setup. My receiver is an Onkyo HT-RC360 .

I'm running Yambeka 5.1 setup. I have a pair of old onkyo speakers acting as my height speakers for 7.1. The sub I'm using is also from the same old Onkyo set. It's this one here.

I have loved my Yambekas to death but the center channel is falling apart and due to timbre matching I would like to replace the two fronts as well. I have two options in my currently but I'm open to any other suggestions as well. The first being svs S series. I'm thinking the SCS-02(M) and the SCS-02 for center and mains. It's currently on sale for $350.

The other option is Energy RC10's paired with Energy RCLCR for the center. This setup would cost me about $500. Now these are the two I'm considering but I admittedly don't know best when it comes to audio setup so any other suggestions in that price range would be welcome.

I plan on replacing the sub sometime in the near future as well but I would like to save a little more for that. Is the one I'm using now decent at all? It's the only one I've ever had so I don't really have anything to compare it to.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My room is roughly 20' x 11'. The tv and speakers would almost be against the wall and I would be about 14-15 feet back.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not completely opposed to it but I was hoping to stay away from floor standing speakers this time. I want to replace my sub with a really nice one in the near future so I don't need the extra bass from big floorstanding speakers.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
The bass range below 80hz isn't really important for the mains whether they can play lower or not. What the larger speaker is gaining is increased output capability with less power and lower distortion above 80hz. Those small speakers with low sensitivity will struggle when played at realistic volumes from 14-15 feet away.

For a $600 LCR those Infinity's really are very good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1  /t/1416607/upgrading-my-mains-and-c...use-some-suggestions-and-advice#post_22149643

The bass range below 80hz isn't really important for the mains whether they can play lower or not. What the larger speaker is gaining is increased output capability with less power and lower distortion above 80hz. Those small speakers with low sensitivity will struggle when played at realistic volumes from 14-15 feet away.

For a $600 LCR those Infinity's really are very good.

Gotcha, well those are definitely feasible but it means I'll have to buy the fronts now and grab the center in a week.

But since were on floor standing speakers now, how would monitor 70's stack up to the infinity primus? This Polk combo can be had for $470

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290208&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL061912&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL061912-_-EMC-061912-Index-_-HomeAudioSpeakers-_-82290208-L029D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290212&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL061912&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL061912-_-EMC-061912-Index-_-HomeAudioSpeakers-_-82290212-L030A

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by takingchase  /t/1416607/upgrading-my-mains-and-c...use-some-suggestions-and-advice#post_22149663

These Klipsch VF-36's look nice too.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542880890/klipsch-vf-36

EDIT: Actually, I don't think my receiver can handle these. Maybe I'm wrong, i'm still pretty new to this.
the klipsch are 8 ohms so they will work fine with your receiver. if i were you though, i would go with the infinity speakers. they have really good imaging and are great replacements to what you have right now.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by takingchase  /t/1416607/upgrading-my-mains-and-c...use-some-suggestions-and-advice#post_22149518

I plan on replacing the sub sometime in the near future as well but I would like to save a little more for that. Is the one I'm using now decent at all? It's the only one I've ever had so I don't really have anything to compare it to.

That Onkyo sub is horrible. I had one of the better Onkyo subs actually I had dual subs. They are crap........ To step up to something really nice look into internet direct brands such as Hsu Research, Outlaw Audio, SVS, Rythmik, Epik, etc....... Expect to spend about $500 - $600 for a good sub..... If you need cheaper some decent ones can be had for about $300.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru  /t/1416607/upgrading-my-mains-and-c...use-some-suggestions-and-advice#post_22150461

That Onkyo sub is horrible. I had one of the better Onkyo subs actually I had dual subs. They are crap........ To step up to something really nice look into internet direct brands such as Hsu Research, Outlaw Audio, SVS, Rythmik, Epik, etc....... Expect to spend about $500 - $600 for a good sub..... If you need cheaper some decent ones can be had for about $300.

I figured as much. My ears kept telling me it was crap but I haven't had anything to compare it too and my yambekas put out decent bass on their own.

I definitely plan on getting a nice sub, I'm saving up specifically for a good one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm planning on stretching my budget a little bit and saving up for the HSU VTF-15H. If I get this sub is it going to completely blow the rest of my system out of the water or would it complement the infinity's well?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts