AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question is probably asked a lot in here, but I'm new and haven't too much of a clue as to what's good in the market anymore, so I'm hoping to get some help with this...

I recently bought a 46" LG 1080p 120Hz LCD TV (46LD550), and after connecting it up to my current sound system, I'm realizing that my receiver's not really up to snuff anymore to handle good sound output.

I currently have an old Yamaha receiver (the model number escapes me, and unfortunately it's at home while I'm at work, so I can't go look at it) that just isn't cutting the mustard with the sound quality. I've noticed that channels will cut in and out at random on it; I know it's not the speakers or the wiring, because I can swap out the wiring to another speaker output (i.e. swap out the left side speaker for the right, vice versa) and I'll get sound out of it fine.

I've been considering replacing it for a while now, as it was a clearance "Home Theater In A Box" system that I picked up at Best Buy 10+ years ago, and it's really on its last legs.

Current components to connect to the receiver/tv:

Scientific Atlanta 8240HD DVR cable box, with HDMI output

Sony Playstation 3

Nintendo Wii

Sony Playstation 2

iPod (preferably through an actual iPod dock of some sort that can be controlled via the receiver)

Here's how I'm thinking of connecting stuff up:

cable box to receiver via HDMI

PS3 to receiver via HDMI

Wii to cable box using RCA video (don't have a component video cable, and it'll only output at 480p vs 480i; can't justify the cost of a cable for negligible visual difference

PS2 to receiver using component video (had my PS3 connected with component video on my old TV since it didn't have HDMI, and the component video cable works with the PS2 and PS3)

I've been looking at the Sony STR-DH510, and the Denon AVR-391 as possible candidates for my setup, trying to keep the cost down, but I'm really looking for and open to any suggestions as well as any positives or negatives about my choices.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
If you are really jumping up in technology why not go for a receiver that IS a jump ahead in technology, Denon AVR-591. You hold on to things obviously which means the extra money you spend on the Higher Denon will pay itself off in the long run

The receivers you have choose you will have to run component video to the TV to get video from your sources With the Denon AVR-591 just hook everything up to the receiver and run a single HDMI cable to the TV and you are golden it takes analog video and upconverts it to digital

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion.

I hadn't known about running a separate component video cable with the Denon 391 model.

Looks more like the 591 is what I need and is going to suit my purposes nicely...Now to start looking for the best deal during the holiday season...

·
Premium Member
93,193 Posts
As your TV is not HDMI 1.4 3D, save yourself some money and look at last year's HDMI 1.3 Denon models ... either the 1610 or 1910. Great prices can be had from authorized vendor Electronics Expo, although call them for their best price as they list MSRP on their website. If for some reason you still want an HDMI 1.4 AVR, then look at the 1611 vice the 591 as it will likely be less at EE than whereever you can find a 591. Also note, the 16XX series and above includes the automated Audyssey MultEQ speaker calibration system which the 391 does not have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.