AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while since I've posted or actually been on this site because my system has been running smoothly since I bought it and I haven't had any need to upgrade. Now though, seems like a good time as any, mainly because we tried to watch 3D on our new TV and turns out the Onkyo 606 won't be having any of that.

Here's my system right now:

B&W 685 and 686 for fronts and rears

B&W HTM62 center

RelT3 Sub

Panasonic TCP60VT60

Onkyo 606

PS3 for BD and games

I've been very, very happy with my speakers and have never found a need to upgrade those. Just got a new TV within the last year to replace my old Samsung 42" plasma and it's been awesome. However, it took us 8 months or so before we decided to try out the 3D on the TV and that's when we found out the Onkyo 606 doesn't support that feature, which isn't that big of a surprise seeing how old it is. I did have the HDMI issue like others did, but nothing a 2 minute solder job couldn't fix and it's been flawless since.

So I've been out of the game since 2008 and technology sure has gone up and up and up. So much so that I'm not sure what I actually need in an AVR. Since my system is only a 5.1 system and I don't see my wife allowing me to get 2 more speakers, I don't necessarily need to get a 7.1 AVR. Though it might be nice just in case I do upgrade (my system, not wife) in the future. I want AirPlay capable, but WiFi is a nice to have. Our cable modem is nearby so I can use a wired system. We mainly use it for movies and TV, but we also do plug in the old ipod via the aux cable to listen to music. So an AVR that can help us remove the Aux cable will be helpful.

Long story short, here are the options I'm looking at:

Denon E300 - on sale everywhere and seems to fit the bill, though the push in speaker wire connections are different

Denon E400 - 7.1 and 4K upgrade over the E300, but can get a refurb unit for same price

Yamaha RX-V475 or V477

Sony STR-DN1040 - might be more than I want to spend, but has all the bells and whistles

Marantz NR1504 - love the design, but pricey

I'm hoping to spend under $400 and I'm wary to go with Onkyo again just because I don't want to deal with potential HDMI issues.

Any other ones I should consider? Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I was in the same boat you are about 2 years ago, wanted 3D and because the old onkyo lived almost ten years, I got another from AC4less for about 300 with shipping. It came with the latest software and has not had a blink ever. They have Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha and Marantz.

http://www.accessories4less.com

·
Registered
223 Posts
Those are all decent choices, also don't forget Pioneer.

I like you have to clear purchases with my wife so sometimes I have to get create to keep costs low. If this isn't an emergency purchase keep your eye on Woot.com. They regularly have deals on older model year products at great discounts and is owned by Amazon. Also look at Amazon open box or marked "used" items you can find great discounts that way too.

Finally if you are a member of Costco see what they have to offer.

I have heard good things about accessories4less too but I have never purchased anything from them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too have heard good things about accessories4less and am leaning that way. The E400 is only $279 and shipping is about $20, so $300 total and that receiver hits all my needs. However, I've been reading reviews and the normal Denon praise isn't quite there for this receiver which is making me hesitant to pull the trigger.

Never heard of Woot before, so will check it out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why not consider an apple tv instead? $100 to meet your airplay requirement. Granted you don't meet your 3D requirement, but it's nothing special. I would try out 3D by bypassing your AV receiver/speakers for a movie and see how you like it. Some people love it, some people are "eh", and others make them sick.

If you go the receiver route, I would avoid the Sony. Despite being well reviewed through various websites, they have some severe HDMI handshake problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to give an update just in case anyone else was in my position. I was actually going to get the Denon E-400 because I wanted the 2nd zone for possible outdoor speakers, but the Amazon $199 deal for the E-300 was too good to pass up.

So far I haven't found any major differences between the sound quality of the E-300 vs my old Onkyo 606, however my wife has noticed that the dialogue volumes in movies seem louder than before which she likes because the soundtrack or special effects aren't drowning out certain scenes. I didn't really notice it though.

The pros so far are the ability for 3D passthrough, airplay (which is probably our favorite upgrade), and the physical size of the AVR allows it to fit better in my low profile entertainment center without squishing the wires or cables. The Denon remote app is ok...nothing great and has some delay time, but it's nice to turn it off and not have an extra remote on the couch.

All in all, a good purchase so far. And since the deck is right by the living room, I can just blast music right now and don't need the outdoor speakers just yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsooner  /t/1525139/upgrading-my-receiver-help-please#post_24725279

The Denon remote app is ok...nothing great and has some delay time, but it's nice to turn it off and not have an extra remote on the couch.

Try the app "DeRemote" it blows the Denon app out of the water

1 - 7 of 7 Posts