AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Onkyo HT-S5300 for few years and I'm thinking of upgrading eventually. Mainly used for movies(blu-rays and Netflix/streaming). Room is around 14x15

Budget is about ~600$ Canadian

Plan A: Sell the 4 surround speakers + center (don't feel like the 7.1 is worth it over the 5.1), use the front speakers as surround and buy a pair of front + center.

Plan B: Sell the whole package and use the Onkyo HT-RC430(bought it for my parents last summer but they never used it, not too sure if it'd be any better than what I currently have) and get a new set of speakers\subwoofer.

Thanks for the inputs\suggestions|

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander-Keen  /t/1523319/upgrading-my-speakers-and-onkyo-htib#post_24503636

I've had my Onkyo HT-S5300 for few years and I'm thinking of upgrading eventually. Mainly used for movies(blu-rays and Netflix/streaming). Room is around 14x15

Budget is about ~600$ Canadian

Plan A: Sell the 4 surround speakers + center (don't feel like the 7.1 is worth it over the 5.1), use the front speakers as surround and buy a pair of front + center.

Plan B: Sell the whole package and use the Onkyo HT-RC430(bought it for my parents last summer but they never used it, not too sure if it'd be any better than what I currently have) and get a new set of speakers\subwoofer.

Thanks for the inputs\suggestions|

I would go with plan A, and upgrade your front sound stage. Then next a new sub, and lastly new surrounds. You can take a look at the following speakers:

HTD Level 3

Infinity Primus P163/PC351

Cambridge Audio S70/S50

EMP E5Bi/E5Ci

Pioneer FS52/C22

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander-Keen  /t/1523319/upgrading-my-speakers-and-onkyo-htib#post_24503752

What would be a fair price to ask for the 4 surround speakers and the center?

Hard to say, look at what you paid for it, and maybe start at 50% and see what bites you get. I would wager the market for used HTIB speakers like those is pretty small.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pioneer FS52/C22 : 225$ + 25$ shipping for pair + 150$ for C22 = ~400$ total

Cambridge Audio S70: 420$ (couldn't find the S50)

Level 3 :538$(+ possibly fees from customs)

Having hard time finding them in Canada :\

1 - 5 of 5 Posts