AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about upgrading my rear surrounds. I have a 5.1 setup driven by a Denon AVR-987. Currently I have Polk RTi8s for my main Ft. L/R, Polk CS1 for my center, Klipsch Sub-12 subwoffer and Polk R15s as my surrounds.

I'm thinking of upgrading my surrounds with these:
Polk RTi4s: I'd be going from a 3/4" tweeter that my R15s have to a 1". The woofer remains the same size, 5 1/4"

Klipsch RB-51s: again, my R15s and these have same size woofer, 5 1/4" but the tweeter on the RB-51 is 1" and has the Tractrix Horn.

Open to ideas and suggestions.

TIA,

Erock

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is important to have a timbre matched system both front and surrounds. The RTi4 is from the same series as the RTi8's thus they are a proper match (visually and sonically). Also consider the FXi3, a surround-specific dipole/bipole speaker matched to the RTi series.

The Klipsch, while a fine product would not be matched to the fronts at all, because of the different tone quality.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
>It is important to have a timbre matched system both front and surrounds.

It doesn't matter much if your surrounds are NOT timbre-matched to your fronts. It IS important for your Fronts and center to be timbre-matched, however, and it is "nicer" if your surrounds are as well. That said, I have the csi3 center, rti12 fronts, and rti4 surrounds, and I really think the rti4 are excellent surrounds.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eric & cneely8, thank you for your time and feedback. I bought the RTi4s last night and will wire them tonight along with another round of Audyssey setup & EQ, topping it off with a tweek or two with my SPL.

Do you really think it's that important to timbre match fronts & center? I ask because of the CS1 center I'm using with my RTi8s.

TIA,

Erock

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.