AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, it's the $1000 speaker thread again! Welcome back and have a seat, it's still warm.

My system

Onkyo 605 (already sold it so I'm knee deep in the shi... err, upgrade)

fronts - rti 8's

center - csi 3

sub - Bic H100

I figured the speakers I buy will want something more than the 605 so I preemptively sold it. Alot of speakers dip to 4ohm it seems so I wanted to get a receiver that could handle that until I get an amp. Hopefully I didn't make a mistake here
I'll post a thread in the receiver section but you are welcome to suggest here if you like

I found the rti's nice for HT but lacking for music. I'm looking for something that can make a big improvement in the music department and retain some of the HT performance I was enjoying. Here's a few I'm eyeballing atm on audiogon(I'd rather buy new but you can get some good deals there).

Vienna Acoustics Bach

Vienna Acoustics Haydn Rosewood

Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand

Monitor Audio Silver RS6

Monitor Audio BR-6

Monitor Audio Silver RS8

Totem Arro

Totem Rainmaker

Paradigm Studio 100 v2

Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Quad 22L2

Usher X-718

DALI Ikon 6 Black

Sonus Faber Concerto

Because I use my setup for 50/50 HT/music, is there any here that should be tossed out for not being good at both? On the other hand is there any that stick out to you as being a cut above the rest or even any speakers I'm leaving out? I'm probably going to end up with something along the lines of an Onkyo 805(or something else?) as an avr because it's a little beefy and has pre-outs for more amplication down the line is there any speakers here that an 805 would take a poop on?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I have the 805 and it is a beast power wise. I actually have Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands which are 4 ohm. Most of the speakers you listed will only be available used in your price range. The Bachs retail for $2200 if I remember correctly. Fabulous speaker IMO. Any on that list are highly regarded but sound different to each other. Most are still available so go listen to them if possible. Worst case buy the ones you like the looks of most. If they don't work out you can sell them again and try something else.

Definitely go used. You can get a $2500 pair of speakers for $1000.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, used seems to be the best route as I never make use of warranties(knock on wood). I've been looking on audiogon and I think there is another site that has a big selection, I heard the vienna's at magnolia and man do they sound silky smooth compared to the rti's. I don't know how they perform for movies though? Maybe they don't have the punch I want, I didn't get to blast them so I dunno.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's almost impossible to tell what you'd like in a speaker. IMO the Rti8's are a good speaker in the sub $1000 category. If you aren't happy with them then it must be something specific (detail, bass, mid bass, dynamics, etc...). If I were in your shoes I'd bring home some of the speakers that you are looking at and compare them side by side to the Rti8's before committing to upgrade.

The speaker that I'd buy in the sub $1000 category is this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=302-783

If you can use a screwdriver and glue then you can put it together.

edit: I see you are eyeballing the Usher X-718, my link is very similar in components but 2 woofers in a MTM layout instead of one.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rti8 has good mids and detail but the tweeter is very forward for music. To my ears it can be harsh at times, it improved with break-in but never went away completely. If I use audyssey on the onkyo it completely lowers the highs trying to level out the spl with the mids and lows. Speaking of lows, with the rti8 they are non-existent. OK for movies as the sub handles that but for music it makes the sound completely dis-jointed. Transitioning from the rti8 to the bic h-100 at 80hz for music sucks. No other way around it.

So basically I'm looking for a speaker that can improve those problems I talked about. I'm not extremely picky but those are legitimate issues I think. A less forward tweeter, and more extension down low, better detail without the harshness would be nice also. I did like the way the viennas sounded for music but I think they just wouldn't do it for movies, so I'm looking for something in between I guess. I'm still fairly new to speaker talk and speakers in general, sorry if I'm not being descriptive enough.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCTools /forum/post/16927868

I can drop ship you, (brand new in sealed boxes) pair of Polk RTA-11TL's if interested.

Just sitting "new in box" for 15 years? That said, unc, if this is for real and the price is right, you might want to check them out.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I looked those polks up and they look like they're nice. The sl3000(I think that's its name) is supposed to be a good tweeter but i guess there was an upgraded tweeter that sounds even better? It would cost like $100 for the two tweeters do you think that would be worth the cost Ron?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/16931429

Energy RC-50s in rosenut

Energy RC-LCR

http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/..._84__0_0_0_-1/

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

total $900 shipped.

Home Theater Direct Level 3 towers and center $1000 shipped. 30 day in home guarantee
http://www.htd.com/cabinet-speakers/...Tower-Speakers
http://www.htd.com/cabinet-speakers/...hannel-Speaker

Wouldn't those Energies be a side grade? Those Home Theater Direct uses ribbon tweeters? That's interesting.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepauly /forum/post/16931959

Yeah I looked those polks up and they look like they're nice. The sl3000(I think that's its name) is supposed to be a good tweeter but i guess there was an upgraded tweeter that sounds even better? It would cost like $100 for the two tweeters do you think that would be worth the cost Ron?

The SL3000 is a good tweeter and the 11TLs are excellent speakers. If you go the vintage route, I'd find a pair for

·
Registered
872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple /forum/post/16932073

The SL3000 is a good tweeter and the 11TLs are excellent speakers. If you go the vintage route, I'd find a pair for

I believe polk spent a million dollars designing the sl3000 to make sure they got it right and they did. I see no reason to ever replace it unless one fails and then I would buy a used one for $20-30.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK I'm torn between the revel m22's and the paradigm 100's. I'm not using a sub until christmas or income tax season so I would get more output from the paradigm's but I would think more quality from the revel's. Plus with the revels the upgrade path is much more expensive but I think I would get more performance at the end of the path. Ascend Sierra 1's get a lot of rep around here too.

·
Registered
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepauly /forum/post/17071391

OK I'm torn between the revel m22's and the paradigm 100's. I'm not using a sub until christmas or income tax season so I would get more output from the paradigm's but I would think more quality from the revel's. Plus with the revels the upgrade path is much more expensive but I think I would get more performance at the end of the path. Ascend Sierra 1's get a lot of rep around here too.

I would take the M22s for sure, here.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepauly /forum/post/16931967

Wouldn't those Energies be a side grade? Those Home Theater Direct uses ribbon tweeters? That's interesting.

I upgraded from RTi10 (big brother to what you have) to Energy RC-70 (big brother of RC-50). I have heard the RC-50 and am going on memory on the Rti8 but assume similar to the Rti10. I would say it definitely is an upgrade. The sale price is a steal and the MRSP listed is what many paid. I still have the polks and have compared A B against all my RCs including the small RC-10. I had the same concerns as you for the polks. I think they are best for loud music. The RCs have incredible detail with extremely nuetral sound. They have enough bass for music listening with out sub. On the Rti10 the crossover for the 2 woofers is too low and so doesn't kick in leaving the midrange to handle regular base and mid range.

I would consider the rc 70s a huge leap above the RTi10, actually in a completely different class and can't be fairly compared. Which they should be considering what I paid (Rti10 $700/pr floor model on sale, RC-70 $2500/pr full retail). I would say the RTi8 to RC-50 to be a similar upgrade.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After some reading actually I think you may be right. I'll keep the energies in mind. I'm just waiting for my canceled money order refund which should take a week or two so I've got plenty of time to consider options.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just wanted to revive the thread to say I bought the Sierra 1's, I really wanted the Dynaudio Focus 140/110's or revel m22's but there wasn't any used when I finally got my money(money order was stolen and took almost a year to get paid back!). They solve all the problems I had with the rti 8's. The top end doesn't screech and they reach low enough to blend seamlessly with my (also new) sub the mfw-15 at 60 hz. I REALLY wanted the dyns though

1 - 20 of 28 Posts