AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own an older model Okyno Pro Logic receiver and am getting ready to upgrade, perhaps to the ONK TXSR701.

Anyhow, why should I be concerned about video inputs on an audio receiver. I believe the 710 has 5 S-video inputs. On my old receiver I only ran audio cables into my receiver and the video went directly from the source to the television. For example, component out on the dvd player to component in on the television.

What would I use a component in or s-video input on the receiver for???

thanks in advance....

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Convenient switching. If you have the inputs on the TV, use them instead. If you have more devices than inputs on the TV, use the receiver to switch.

Sorny

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorny is right. I have the Onkyo TX-SR600, and all video runs through the receiver before running to the TV.

For me, this is a BIG plus because my TV is about 20 feet from my video component cabinet. I have all video sources (TiVo, DVD, digital cable) running into the receiver, and the only cables from my receiver to my TV are one set of component cables and one composite video cable.

I would prefer to have just the component cables running from the receiver to the TV, but the SR600 doesn't convert composite or S-video signals to component. The SR701 might - I don't know.

IMO, the whole issue of running video through the receiver is not necessarily one of performance enhancement, but one of convenience in certain situations. Plus, like Sorny said, it's very useful to consolidate connections when your TV doesn't have all the inputs you want/need.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Glad I could offer some assistance.

Sorny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.